Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with Aussie and dogs??

Originally Posted by petensue
Just come back from the vets $188.00 poorer!12 week injection and six month wormer/flea tablets,will buy them from the pet shop next time!

They just need the parvo injection every year.The wormer should include heartworm.Sue.
Our vets had a VIP package that included all injections, worming, flea treatments, desexing and microchipping for just over $400. Worked out a lot cheaper doing it that way. Ask if your vets do something similar, mine is Connolly Vets in Joondalup.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
I do not know why people who are 10 hrs a day away from home need a dog. A sh1te life. .
I have just bought a rescue kelpie dog who stays out in the garden for the time that I am at work and yes that could be as much as 10 hours a day.

He doesn't have a shite life, he is walked before work by my husband and after work with me and once I am home, he stays in the house with us - the only time he is in the garden is when we are at work.

He has a large kennel under the pergola area with his selection of toys and a sand area for him to dig as he enjoys digging.

I have this dog to protect the house/property - that is his primary job, he is a pet second.

He has been to the vet, is microchipped, castrated, vaccinated, heart wormed and most of all he is loved.

But because I work and his day life is in the garden - it doesnt mean he has a crap life.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH

In Australia and the US we find it very strange - and quite unhygienic - to have an animal indoors. And in Canberra people walk their dogs all the time. We have walking trails all through the city, and there are always dogs running around everywhere.
And yet judging by the places we walk they dont find it unhygenic leaving dog crap lying around..... sure, it's not as bad as it was in the UK BUT there is no need, it's easy enough to pick up in plastic bags and dispose of it.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishfamily
We use worming tabs from the pet store and buy frontline 4 fleas .What injections do dogs need every year i can`t remember what they gave r dogs.I was going to try that vets in edgewater someone told me they were very good
can you buy frontline online here? only my friend who visited from the uk recently does this and it saves her a small fortune.....
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Our vets had a VIP package that included all injections, worming, flea treatments, desexing and microchipping for just over $400. Worked out a lot cheaper doing it that way. Ask if your vets do something similar, mine is Connolly Vets in Joondalup.
Thank you for the information northernbird,we were offered the VIP package but because of the size of Daisy they wanted $550.I know it would be cheaper but we just do not have the money in one go.Sue.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
And yet judging by the places we walk they dont find it unhygenic leaving dog crap lying around..... sure, it's not as bad as it was in the UK BUT there is no need, it's easy enough to pick up in plastic bags and dispose of it.
Spot on Bridie and to the English woman on South Beach with a Pug type dog who thinks it is acceptable to leave bags of shite dotted around on the beach, it isn't - it is dirty. You are better off leaving it rather than leaving it in a bag - better still, pick up after your dog!:curse:
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:25 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

I agree do SOME dogs do not lift ther dogs crap and if and when they do they leave it at the side of the bin bloody take it home with u and put in ur own bin .My 17 yesr old son took r staffy out 4 a walk last nyt and forgot a bag of course the dog did his buisness on the path but my son came home got a bag and went back and lifted it and took it back and put it r bin so if a 17 yr old can do what is to stop those lazy adults

Last edited by irishfamily; Oct 28th 2008 at 4:27 am.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
But because I work and his day life is in the garden - it doesnt mean he has a crap life.
Well, I hope he isn't barking his head off all day and annoying the neighbours

You clearly love your dog and so I'm pretty sure he's one happy boy but the problem with three near neighbours of mine is that they clearly don't love theirs.

Indifference is perhaps the best attitude I can ascribe to these people as, apart from doling out food and water for the day, they totally ignore their dogs and, at least in the 2 years I have lived here, have never taken them out for walks. The dogs are outside 24/7 which, in a city suburb, does not make for a peaceful, quiet neighbourhood.

I lost my beloved border collie earlier this year from Cushings disease, but in the 14 years he gave us, we were lucky enough to always have someone at home so he lived indoors, even preferring it in the days when we had a farm!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on Bridie and to the English woman on South Beach with a Pug type dog who thinks it is acceptable to leave bags of shite dotted around on the beach, it isn't - it is dirty. You are better off leaving it rather than leaving it in a bag - better still, pick up after your dog!:curse:
Yes what is it with some people picking it up and putting it in a bag and then putting it back on the floor againWhere we go in the middle of nowhere there are yellow nappy sacks all over the place.Sue.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by hawkshaw
Well, I hope he isn't barking his head off all day and annoying the neighbours
He barks his head off when we play ball with him but my neighbour said he is too busy digging in his pit or standing on the highest point keeping an eye on things.

He does growl at his tennis ball and squeaks his bone though. I have just insured him, $31 a month.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:29 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

i love dogs, but they crap everywhere and smell, so i wouldn't have one.
cats are the spawn of satan.
will just watch the possums and be content
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:31 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

My sister owns 2 massive dogs & keeps them ouside. The dog sh1t is everywhere & in the stinking heat it is foul!!!!!
Its not a regular thing for her to pick it up either Disgusting!!!!!
I think if you've got a shelter, paved area for doggy doo's so you can clean & swill it everyday they should be ok outside in the summer but winter I would bring them in of a night........maybe?

Can I add my sister calls herself a dog lover too!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

He doesn't have a shite life, he is walked before work by my husband and after work with me and once I am home, he stays in the house with us - the only time he is in the garden is when we are at work.
I had the pleasure to live next door to a dog who spent all day in the backyard, barking most of the time and everybody in the street was glad that the people finally moved. On the other side the people 'rescued' too a large dog. The dog barked none stop exempt he was exhausted from barking. He dug everything that was in the garden, ripped every flyscreen apart. The dog was absolutely bored. The moment the family came home you didn't here the dog once. After 10 months they got rid of him.

There are dogs in my street you don't hear at all because pleople train them and make the dogs life as pleasant as possible. there are many don't care at all. We have a dog somewhere in the neighbourhood that spends all day all night outside. Why do so many people seem to need to have a dog when all they do feed the dog?

I believe that a dog should not spent 10 hours a day alone at home.

Last edited by Evelin; Oct 28th 2008 at 11:39 am.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Evelin
I believe that a dog should not spent 10 hours a day alone at home.

Well there are times but not every day - depending on if my husband is off or what shift he is on, that my dog is on his own for up to ten hours and I checked with my neighbour tonight and he informed me that no, my dog doesnt bark except when people come to the door - which is his job.

He is now in the living room with me, playing with his toys but he already knows his routine of going into the garden and knows what time I am home.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are times but not every day - depending on if my husband is off or what shift he is on, that my dog is on his own for up to ten hours and I checked with my neighbour tonight and he informed me that no, my dog doesnt bark except when people come to the door - which is his job.

He is now in the living room with me, playing with his toys but he already knows his routine of going into the garden and knows what time I am home.
I think it's a bit like having children. We know our own better than anyone else, and whether they are happy or not, and we do what works for the whole family unit. There's no "one" right way to raise them.

Everyone knows what an animal lover you are PP and that your furry family would be top priority for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.