Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

What is it with Aussie and dogs??

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all
Default Re: What is it with Aussie and dogs??

It does always strike me as a bit of a double standard here, that cats are perceived by many as public enemy No1 when it comes to wildlife destruction, yet dogs are left out with not much of a second thought, particularly given the risk that dogs present to koalas for example. At a wildlife sanctuary a couple of weeks ago, and they were projecting that koalas will become extinct in the wild within the next 10-20 years if we don't start to do something about it now.

I'm not accusing anyone of being an irresponsible dog owner by the way, but out of interest the link is for Queenslands Koala and Dog factsheet.

www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p01516aa.pdf
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by melaniee
10 days !! You'd be lucky. I never call the rangers anymore as if the owner is not found after usually 3 days and the local dogs homes/refuges can't take them, they get put down. I am the biggest animal lover out there-but most of the time the dog is taking itself for a walk like it does every day, jumped the fence and will go home later etc. If the dog has a collar and tag, I'll call the owner or take it back-done that before. Otherwise might take it to the vet to see if it has a micrchip-or tell it to go home !

Different way of thinking with dogs here !
I worked at the Lort Smith Animal Hospital in North Melbourne and there is a shelter attached, the law is that any stray dog has to be kept for 8 days unless it needs to be PTS'd on humane grounds (severe illness/injury) (this 8 day rule is different for each state, some only keep them 48hours).
Personally if I found a stray dog in Melbourne I would try and avoid at all costs it going to the Lost Dogs Home, we had clients whose dog was in there and despite them calling up and going round looking they were told there dog was not there, only to try again a week later and it has been ready for death row. One gentleman caught them taking his dog to be PTS'd as the 8 days were up, it was a gorgeous rottweiler but they said it was vicious even though the kennel staff were happy to handle it without a muzzle or catching pole.

Like Mellanie says, if the dog has tags or you can take it to the vets for a microchip check it is cheaper for the owner and the dog as if it goes to a council pound they get a very high fine, plus boarding costs and you usually find that people will not claim the dog and it could end up being PTS'd.

Unfortunately when we have thunder storms or new years eve with the fireworks this is when the pounds reach maximum capacity. The poor dogs are so terrified that some don't think twice about scaling a 2 metre fence.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs historically were kept outside, were generally working dogs of one type or another. It's only during the 20th century that humans decided the outdoor animal might be a nice family pet and for them to be pampered and given beds by the oven or in the owners beds.

The amount of dog washing trailers, and people walking dogs in parks and the beach round here, tells me that the Aussies I know are definitely huge dog lovers. Just don't want their houses turned into kennels.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Another Aussie bashing generalisation - this time we mistreat our dogs. We've had generations of dogs from one original puppy my father-in-law was given about 20 years ago. We had her daughter and her grandson. Other extended family members have had others. Our 15 year old male died last year from an aspiration pneumonia caused by his laryngeal paralysis, whilst waiting for his $5,000 operation! Our 17 year old female is staying with friends in Perth at the moment (who are really dog lovers) because we considered it too hot in Dubai and the plane trip too much for an old girl like her. She's called the million dollar dog because we've paid so much in vet fees for her over the years, probably more than we've paid in medical fees for our kids, we even paid a $1,000 reward to get her back once when she went missing (before she was microchipped) - my husband wanted to offer $10,000! We were a young couple in our 20's with not much spare cash, so that was a huge amount to us. Pets, Kids, the elderly, they're all vulnerable and susceptible to abuse, but just because one person abuses them, don't blame the whole nation!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:08 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Dogs historically were kept outside, were generally working dogs of one type or another. It's only during the 20th century that humans decided the outdoor animal might be a nice family pet and for them to be pampered and given beds by the oven or in the owners beds.

The amount of dog washing trailers, and people walking dogs in parks and the beach round here, tells me that the Aussies I know are definitely huge dog lovers. Just don't want their houses turned into kennels.
Well said!

I was reading this thread thinking that I must have been on a different planet whilst touring Australia... I thought the thread was going to be about the fact that dogs were moddelcoddled here!

Have to say tho, was rather alarmed to see dogs chained to the back of a Ut and the driver going about 100km/hr down the freeway! When I mentioned it to a local, she said to me yes, it was about time that they chained them up as it was cruel to leave them in the back of the Ut without any restraint!

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Oct 23rd 2008 at 9:09 am. Reason: spelling - oh, btw, can't spell Ute..
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Well said!

I was reading this thread thinking that I must have been on a different planet whilst touring Australia... I thought the thread was going to be about the fact that dogs were moddelcoddled here!

Have to say tho, was rather alarmed to see dogs chained to the back of a Ut and the driver going about 100km/hr down the freeway! When I mentioned it to a local, she said to me yes, it was about time that they chained them up as it was cruel to leave them in the back of the Ut without any restraint!

Em x
And she's right - would you prefer to see them unrestrained and decide to jump off to chase a cat and get killed because the vehicle is moving or get hit by another car on the road?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Well said!

Em x
I thought OMG when I first saw it but now I think it's cool. The dogs are obviously quite happy. Most of them snoozing until they stop at lights then they try and lick the driver I think it's great that these people happily take their dogs to work with them.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kim67
And she's right - would you prefer to see them unrestrained and decide to jump off to chase a cat and get killed because the vehicle is moving or get hit by another car on the road?
crikey no! I certainly would not!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:02 am
Account Closed

I thought OMG when I first saw it but now I think it's cool. The dogs are obviously quite happy. Most of them snoozing until they stop at lights then they try and lick the driver I think it's great that these people happily take their dogs to work with them.
When they are standing there bracing themselves against the air rushing past them, they look so well... fearsome! like they should have shades on and a flick knife! Hats off to them!

Em x
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Did anyone see that couple on the TV tonight who reckon they have spent $70,000 on their dogs !!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

That's unusual-why did you not try another shelter rather than buying and supporting the pet shop trade ?

Originally Posted by irishfamily
We bought R 2 dogs (off te shelf) from a pet store and they r like r babies . I went to the RSPCA and my kids(teenagers)fell in love with a dog but we could`nt take him until the next day because we were moving into r new house (the next day) we asked them could they keep the dog we would even pay a fee if they wanted but they did`nt want to know and yet they r on tv complaining aboutthere kennels being full . But we love r to babies fenian and siofra
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I hate to disillusion you Jacqui but there are only so many dogs K9 dog rescue and the other organisations can take. The older, uglier, smellier unclaimed dogs get put down. (Most) of the rangers do their best but they are not obligated to try and find new homes so a lot of dogs in Mandurah are also put down.
Did anyone see the Police programme the other day when the guy with all the rabbits in his van got stopped and the Police man said he was going to call the ranger ? The guy said, not the ranger-all they willl do is put them down (well they did not but that is the reputation rangers have)

8 days to hold onto them is good. Would not happen in WA unless they are lucky.

Originally Posted by Jacqui
I think dogs are tougher than you give them credit for. What about that film, what was it called "Snowdogs"? They slept out on the snow at the North Pole. My dogs sleep outside all year round, they have a sheltered kennel and their own bit of fully-fenced off garden. When I bring them in in the morning, they feel really warm where they've snuggled up together.

We have a good Ranger service here in Mandurah. I've had to call them out to collect stray dogs that I've picked up on 3 separate occasions. They usually come out within the hour. Also I reported an increase in the number of stray dogs around our area recently, after having almost hit a dog that ran out in front of me and they said they would send out extra patrols over the next couple of weeks to keep an eye on the situation.

Back in 2003 I reported a neighbour who let his Rottweiler out every morning to do its thing in the street, because he didn't like the mess in his own back yard. Mainly it chose my front garden to leave its calling card. One day it must have eaten something really bad because it deposited the most revolting slimey mess all over my driveway. Before I'd had chance to hose it down, a young girl walking to school slipped in it and hurt herself as she fell. Her father reported the neighbour too. Thankfully the family moved away shortly after that.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but they used to put kids up chimneys back then too
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, I used to think it was so cruel until my partner pointed out the wagging tails and general look of joy on the dogs face!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by onceinalifetime
It does always strike me as a bit of a double standard here, that cats are perceived by many as public enemy No1 when it comes to wildlife destruction, [/url]
Being a cat lover myself I was quite surprised at the attitude towards cats here (seen as a bit of a nuisance, terror to wildlife etc - some here may agree ). I couldn't bear to keep our cats indoors all day it seems almost cruel to deprive them of the outdoors (altho obviously we bring them in at night).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.