Reload this Page >

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Originally Posted by kjj
However if I do have to take a lower grade post I am confident that within a couple of years I would again have a senior post.
Why so confident?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
We have people in this thread saying you need to be earning the equivalent of one hundred thousand pounds a year to keep the same standard of living as earning seventy five thousand a year in the UK... yet in thread after thread people will come on and say the cost of living between the UK and Australia is comparable. The two don't just don't match up.
I don't quite get it either.
....and are we really saying you need to be on $150k pa to be comfortable in Oz?
No way! I find $150k pa and over is the exception, not the norm! How could it be when the average Australian household income is what? between 60 and 80k?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:07 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you have an income over £75k in the UK, why would you move to Australia for $70k? It seems like many people manage on this as it is above average, but still it would be quite an adjustment to make.
Precisely the question i'm asking myself, perhaps the visa delays are doing me a favour, giving me time to reflect. the 75k comes with more hours than most people could stand, believe me I don't want to be doing them for too much longer and enough people who say they want that kind of money have reassessed when they realise how much it hurts. To get this money doing what i do you make sacrifices! The only comparison i can think that would work in oz to get this sort of money is fifo mine work they don't 'give' the cash away and this is not everybodies idea of a'lifestyle' improvement

I want a relaxed pace of life (relative to my own existing circumstances) with a reasonable standard of living, plenty of nice wine, nice days out decent house and reliable car and in the sunshine too - in a nut shell .
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Why so confident?
Sounds like she is good at her job and knows it or else deluded and lucky.

worst case scenario, when ignorance is bliss it's folly to be wise
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
The cost of housing in Brisbane is far higher than in the North West of the UK*.

*Cue the spin doctor's to tell us that you can buy a house within a few days commute of Brisbane for less than the average packet of cereal in the UK
ha ha ha
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Precisely the question i'm asking myself, perhaps the visa delays are doing me a favour, giving me time to reflect. the 75k comes with more hours than most people could stand, believe me I don't want to be doing them for too much longer and enough people who say they want that kind of money have reassessed when they realise how much it hurts. To get this money doing what i do you make sacrifices! The only comparison i can think that would work in oz to get this sort of money is fifo mine work they don't 'give' the cash away and this is not everybodies idea of a'lifestyle' improvement

I want a relaxed pace of life (relative to my own existing circumstances) with a reasonable standard of living, plenty of nice wine, nice days out decent house and reliable car and in the sunshine too - in a nut shell .
I'm not sure what you do for a living, but on $70k, I reckon you could have what you want, just maybe not a house on the beach, 20 minutes from a major city, with a pool and 2 cars. As long as you are realistic in what you want, it seems feasible. Just like they would be anywhere else, houses on the beach with a swimming pool are expensive in Australia! . But the sunshine is free!! Although some people seem to think there's too much of it... That's why I love Melbourne, 4 seasons in one day!! And throughout the year too!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:20 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I don't quite get it either.
You can't rely simply on the exchange rate to compare the cost of living. You have to compare salaries and what you can buy with those salaries.

Imagine earning £50k in the UK, some seem to think that you would need to earn $100k to match it. What if next week the exchange rate changed from say 2.2 to 2.4, would you expect those people on $100k having to ask for a pay-rise to maintain their standard of living?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:26 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I'm not sure what you do for a living, but on $70k, I reckon you could have what you want, just maybe not a house on the beach, 20 minutes from a major city, with a pool and 2 cars. As long as you are realistic in what you want, it seems feasible. Just like they would be anywhere else, houses on the beach with a swimming pool are expensive in Australia! . But the sunshine is free!! Although some people seem to think there's too much of it... That's why I love Melbourne, 4 seasons in one day!! And throughout the year too!
Having lived in and around London and worked in it all my life I would love not to be within 20 mins of a city, the coast would be nice but i'd rather work less and not be able to walk to the beach than work my b@lls off and get to see it only before i go to bed if you catch my drift.

In the last 3 years the changes have been extreme (exchange rate and house price movements), I was looking at the 'dream' 3 years ago but now more modest aspirations are in order.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a little reassurance
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coolshadows
You can't rely simply on the exchange rate to compare the cost of living. You have to compare salaries and what you can buy with those salaries.

Imagine earning £50k in the UK, some seem to think that you would need to earn $100k to match it. What if next week the exchange rate changed from say 2.2 to 2.4, would you expect those people on $100k having to ask for a pay-rise to maintain their standard of living?
No I wouldn't. But again, people are very hung up on the exchange rate. The cost of living does not follow the exchange rate! Therefore, if you earned £50 in the UK, you would live a lifestyle that went with £50k. If you earn $100k in Australia, you live the lifestyle that goes with it, regardless of what you $100k is worth in £.

I understand that for a lot of people, the exchange rate is crucial when it comes to bringing money over. I'm one of them and I wish the bloody euro would recover (got money in France!). But I also live in Australia, on an income in Australian $ and so the exchange rate does not really come into play any more. As long as I have enough for my needs, I don't care whether it's worth £50 or £75.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Having lived in and around London and worked in it all my life I would love not to be within 20 mins of a city, the coast would be nice but i'd rather work less and not be able to walk to the beach than work my b@lls off and get to see it only before i go to bed if you catch my drift.

In the last 3 years the changes have been extreme (exchange rate and house price movements), I was looking at the 'dream' 3 years ago but now more modest aspirations are in order.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a little reassurance
You're welcome! I can honestly say that I don't think we would have a fraction of the quality of life we have here, were we back in the UK. And we had a good life/income there all those years ago! We live in a great house (nothing fancy) amongst the gum trees, we have 2 beautiful kids who can run around in our large (but not massive) garden and we do get to go out once in a while to nice restaurants, we enjoy good wines and great food (I'm French so that's a given!) and we have great friends, Aussies and expats alike. We can also drive to the beach in under an hour, we have lovely local specialty shops on our doorstep, a decent affordable public transport system, and great amenities nearby. What else could you ask for?
Also my husband gets to leave home around 8am and be back at the latest for 6.30pm here. He used to spend the whole week in London so we could afford to pay our mortgage in the Midlands...
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Seventy-five thousand pounds a year!!!!! And you're only comfortable! Jeez, my heart bleeds for you. Ah, but I suppose you give a fair proportion of that to charity.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:06 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

Why so confident?
Why not? I have significant skills and experience in service delivery and improvement and commissioning and I went from newly qualified to an 8a in 6 years with hard work, dedication and ambition and i have spent the last 5 years topping up my education and gaining experience at this level in various roles, showing measurable improvements and changes in the services that I have worked with.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:09 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

salopian - Seventy-five thousand pounds a year!!!!! And you're only comfortable! Jeez, my heart bleeds for you. Ah, but I suppose you give a fair proportion of that to charity.

If you read my original post, the £75k is a joint income between me and my husband, not £75k for me alone. I don't think this is excessive for 2 professional people at mid points of their career. Probably a lot of others who are earning far more than this. I have never passed comment on the level of lifestyle that I think I have, but I consider myself to be lucky in that I don't have to worry about paying for a new boiler if it packed up or if my car needed repairs and I enjoy meals out with my husband and nice holidays.

Last edited by kjj; Apr 14th 2010 at 1:21 pm. Reason: Responded to wrong poster.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:17 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kjj
Why not? I have significant skills and experience in service delivery and improvement and commissioning and I went from newly qualified to an 8a in 6 years with hard work, dedication and ambition and i have spent the last 5 years topping up my education and gaining experience at this level in various roles, showing measurable improvements and changes in the services that I have worked with.
You don't have to defend yourself here. Everybody get's what the market is willing to pay. We aren't all communists.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:25 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coolshadows
You don't have to defend yourself here. Everybody get's what the market is willing to pay. We aren't all communists.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.