Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

western australia or queensland?

western australia or queensland?

Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:31 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: western australia or queensland?

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
LOL, I see what you are doing there.

Have you ever asked yourself why there are so many threads on here knocking Perth?
I have asked myself why there are so many posts on here by people from over east knocking Perth who have never been here.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

I lived in QLd for 2 years and moving to Perth soon.

Qld is purely brilliant as Perth will be.

One thing I am looking foward to, is the fact Perth is placed close to Singapore, Malaysia and Bali for exmple.

Looking a flights it can be cheaper to get there thn fly to Brisbane, how great is that.!!!

and if thats not on the agenda, theres plenty more to do in WA, if you get of your arse.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

cabaj will become famous soon enoughcabaj will become famous soon enough

We looked at both Brisbane and Perth originally, but settled on Perth on the basis we have more friends here. In hindsight, for us, this was a mistake. Since settling in Perth over 3 years ago we have had the benefit of spending some time in both Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. The Sunshine Coast is fantastic although work opportunties are limited unless you are prepared to take on the tiresome daily commute into Brisbane (a lot of people do). Brisbane is a great city and in my opinion offers a lot more than Perth. Also in terms of local travel opportunities Perth cannot compare with Queensland.

I guess what I am saying is if given the choice again, it would be Queensland.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabaj
I guess what I am saying is if given the choice again, it would be Queensland.
Me to, although I do love Perth I would be going to QLD if I were coming here now.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think as a few posters have highlighted, it depends on your priorities in life. Perth suits me because I like a slower pace of life. Queensland does offer a closeness to other things that WA can't offer and getting out of WA can be expensive. You don't say what you do for a job or if you have children.
No children,still single as for my job i am a pipefitter,which is a little like plumbing but the large steel pipes etc,and i work in the oil and gas industry both onshore and on the oil rigs,perth i was think cause thats where most of the work is in that line of work,but i maybe happier to be in queensland and be happy if required to travel to work as in fly in,fly out jobs if there was little of it in perth,i just think east coast has more to offer.
I have been all over oz back on 2004 and did work and spend three months in perth and south and noth of it,and this year for 3 months was in queenslands so i have tried them out and seen them,but i still would not be able to make my mind up.
Would be an expensive mistake if moved to one of them and wished or wanted to go to the other as it was not the right one for me
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:26 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Any advice for us? We are a family with two children - 1 under 1yr and one 3yr old. We were originally looking at Perth as we have heard that it is the best place for young families. Only thing is we've not been to Oz I am 26yr old and OH is 35 so we are still fairly young and would like plenty to do, although i'm sure there'll be much more interesting things to do there that UK. Are people from Perth really known for going to bed early etc....? And do you think there is alot on Sunshine coast to offer for a family like us?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Tried WA, now off to the Sunshine Coast. We are starting to feel the isolation with Perth in terms of travel opportunities. Saying that if someone told me tommorow I had to stay I would not be gutted-Perth is a wonderful place and sounds like it would be ideal for your job. But what do you want outside of your job ?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:39 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

As a pipefitter the big money is suppossed to be Perth, your job is pretty much similar to my OH but he does the ventilation and air con as well. We have been told by so many that for this line of work there is no comparrison.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:42 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Any advice for us? We are a family with two children - 1 under 1yr and one 3yr old. We were originally looking at Perth as we have heard that it is the best place for young families. Only thing is we've not been to Oz I am 26yr old and OH is 35 so we are still fairly young and would like plenty to do, although i'm sure there'll be much more interesting things to do there that UK. Are people from Perth really known for going to bed early etc....? And do you think there is alot on Sunshine coast to offer for a family like us?
I think going to bed early is an ozzie thing I know of new arrival on the Sunshine coast she is frustrated that her hubbie and his family who arrived earlier than her is in bed by 9, she cant get her head round it.

I have heard this mentioned quite a lot and dont think its particular to one part of the country...I am a bit of a night bird so could cause a problem for me although I suppose I will get used to it.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

We too are going to Sunshine Coast we visited both WA and QLD and opted for the one to suit our lifes better!!!

We have friends in Perth who love it though........
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by betsyboob
People in QLD go to bed early too! Its dead round here at 9! But most people seem to get up at 5.30!
Are you going to do a reccie?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
I think going to bed early is an ozzie thing I know of new arrival on the Sunshine coast she is frustrated that her hubbie and his family who arrived earlier than her is in bed by 9, she cant get her head round it.

I have heard this mentioned quite a lot and dont think its particular to one part of the country...I am a bit of a night bird so could cause a problem for me although I suppose I will get used to it.
I'd agree...in general people go to bed and get up earlier...especially in Summer. It makes sense here in Brisbane as due to the lack of daylight savings it gets light & hot way too early in the day (still dark at 7pm though of course) - so its better to be on the go and off to work as early as possible. I dont have fond memories of walking from the train station to work in 30C heat!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

My wife is from Perth and she goes to bed at nine every night.
We've been in UK last 7 years and havent celebrated one New years together.
(She's off by 10 on NYE). We even went out one NYE to local restaurant wih a full package deal (dinner dancing etc)and she begged out at 10
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:16 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
People in QLD go to bed early too! Its dead round here at 9! But most people seem to get up at 5.30!
Are you going to do a reccie?
Here in perth you may think they are all in bed by 9 but really they are window shopping in their pyjamas in the CBD .Its a pasttime i have seen many times especially around Bunnings ,i just havent summoned up the courage to do it my self YET .
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Yeah, is that a Perth thing or am I going to see that on the sunshine coast too ?!!

Originally Posted by king kong
Here in perth you may think they are all in bed by 9 but really they are window shopping in their pyjamas in the CBD .Its a pasttime i have seen many times especially around Bunnings ,i just havent summoned up the courage to do it my self YET .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.