Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Joey0483 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Hello All
I originally applied to St Johns last September and heard nothing despite me emailing them over and over. Eventually I contacted Big Red Sky (the internet site you submit your application through) who told me there was a technical hitch and the application had not been submitted properly despite it stating 'applied' on my application.
So i resubmitted on May 9th and have heard nothing yet again.
Such a long process, but am hopeful to hear something soon....
I have been reliably informed a Paramedic is on $85000 per annum....is this the case?
Also would we be employed using the 457 visa and do SJA submit the visa application for you? WIth that visa would my husband be able to work in WA too?
We have a business to sell, but dont want to sell it until we know we are definitely going to Perth. Once a job offer is received is there some flexibility with your starting date (in case a delay with business selling)
Is the video conferencing in London and are theJRCALC questions on drugs or procedures or both?
Sorry for all the questions!! FIngers crossed for you all xx
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Hi Everyone,

Like many of you I have my telephone interview coming up and like Joey0843 I have many, many questions but have gleaned as much info as possible from the earlier posts for this thread. Can anyone who has been through the physical please give me a heads up on how hard it was and how many push ups you are expected to do? I haven't even tried one for years and don't want to embarrass myself more than I have to by collapsing in a heap.

Good luck to everyone else in the same boat.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Hi all,

The physical is fairly easy imo. I think its 15 pressups along with back strength tests and step test. Squats and carrying weights. If you are not that fit i would advise a heavy training programme because your heart rest rate and bmi are all taken.

Also as far as the 457 visa goes they pay for it for you and your family and yes your partner can work on theirs.

$85,000 for a paramedic is about right

The conference interview is booked in a city near to where you live and the phone interview are jrcalc dosages and our protocols (MI etc). They have them to hand so dont make them up!

Last edited by HANK2010; Jun 7th 2011 at 6:43 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the heads up Hank. Bloody Hell 15 press-ups! I have just dropped and done 2 and I am phoning in sick tonight Only joking if anybody from St John HR is monitoring this thread.

Is the video conference about you the applicant and what you would bring to the service, type stuff?

For those members that have emigrated, how is it all going?

Thanks again for the info.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by michael999
Thanks for the heads up Hank. Bloody Hell 15 press-ups! I have just dropped and done 2 and I am phoning in sick tonight Only joking if anybody from St John HR is monitoring this thread.

Is the video conference about you the applicant and what you would bring to the service, type stuff?

For those members that have emigrated, how is it all going?

Thanks again for the info.
Yep wasnt asked any clinical questions. Just examples of when a protocol has gone wrong etc....
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Hank.

I would love to know how working in Perth compares to working in the UK. Can anyone already down there give me any feedback.

Thank you all.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:44 am
Just Joined

CMcC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there- just making a quick enquiry and hopefully you can help me out?... im an irish tech and have gone through the process and have been offered a contract for st johns there at ambo officer level 2, with the two year training contract to paramedic. It all reads great although im carefully considering it as im set up pretty good workwise here in ireland (ie permanent contract, full time and rostered on a permanent line etc and wages aint too bad for now anyways...actually similar to what id be on in WA as ive been here a while!) but the main query i have is if I took up the training contract and qualified to WA's paramedic level do you happen to know if it would be recognised in the UK in the event that I decided to go home?... i have heard rumors that WA's P-qualification might not be internationally recognised and I've tried to get in contact with both ecu and st john's and im not getting anywhere at the minute!! just need to keep my options open job wise if things didnt work out over there and that I could get a job back this side if i needed to! crap-gotta go do a call here- let me know if you have heard anything pls-thanks!

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi guys,

Having just started for SJA, I can assure you the application processes are still running. There are big plans for lots more international staff, both Para's and Techs.
It can take between 1-3 months before you hear anything.
I applied last July and out of the blue in Aug got an e-mail saying phone interview was due 2 wks from time of e-mail.
6-9 months isn't long when you consider how fast time flies. My advice is to start sorting things in expectation of you getting the job (without too much financial outlay), such as making sure your mortgage provider will let you rent out your house, save hard and researching areas of Perth where you may like to live/rent. A bit of groundwork never hurt anyone!
Also research schools, phone & internet, banks, cars etc just to give you an idea of the financial commitment when you get here. You DO feel like you haemorrhage money in the first few months, but it's worth it, and even better when you start earning.

Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMcC
Hi there- just making a quick enquiry and hopefully you can help me out?... im an irish tech and have gone through the process and have been offered a contract for st johns there at ambo officer level 2, with the two year training contract to paramedic. It all reads great although im carefully considering it as im set up pretty good workwise here in ireland (ie permanent contract, full time and rostered on a permanent line etc and wages aint too bad for now anyways...actually similar to what id be on in WA as ive been here a while!) but the main query i have is if I took up the training contract and qualified to WA's paramedic level do you happen to know if it would be recognised in the UK in the event that I decided to go home?... i have heard rumors that WA's P-qualification might not be internationally recognised and I've tried to get in contact with both ecu and st john's and im not getting anywhere at the minute!! just need to keep my options open job wise if things didnt work out over there and that I could get a job back this side if i needed to! crap-gotta go do a call here- let me know if you have heard anything pls-thanks!
As I'm here in Perth, I just rang ECU to ask if their paramedic degree is recognised in other countries. Their response was that their course qualifies you to work as a paramedic in Australia, and that you'd have to check with the registration bodies in the UK to see if the ECU qualification was acceptable there (HPC, I gather). I've also rung the section that teaches the course to see if they can answer your question, but they haven't called me back yet (it's exam time here). In the meantime, you might find these links useful:

http://www.stjohnchangelives.com.au/...FQPabgod9nmqLg
http://www.paramedic-resource-centre.com/move_uk.htm
http://www.paramedic-resource-centre...australia1.htm
http://www.britishparamedic.org/forum/topic?id=219
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Thanks for your help Helen, I have emailed the HPC so hopefully i'll get some information back from them.

I had a look at your links and hope to put a few posts on that forum too to see if I can find out any more- they are more or less verifying what I have heard which is that WA has been known in the past to be a little behind the other services in Aus and that its possible post qualification there that I'd have to head to NSW to do courses to get it verified in the UK! That said, I have also been told that WA have upped their game and are catching up pretty good but hence the reason for my query about the qualification.

I am also considering a move to the UK to get my paramedic qualification and seeing from there where to go next if the WA one doesnt transfer over this way so until I can get a clearer picture of the ECU degree, im juggling around with a few options but its better than having none at all!

Thanks again for your help,
Cel
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:38 am
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way:
Does anyone know who is the head of the SJAA recruitment team currently?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

SPHYGOFTHEDUMP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I am yet another guy looking for advice. I live in Ireland (although I am British)and there is a different setup to UK with regards training to Paramedic level.
UK guys are better trained than us but we have a wider scope of practice than a UK Tech. We are somewhere in the middle!
I am looking to move out to Aus as Ireland is slowly going down the toilet and any advice would be much appreciated. Me and the family really dont mind which state , whichever has the easiest application process!!

Did you guys apply for your visa first or apply for the job first? I know that sounds like a silly question but was just wondering. When qualified here (one year to go) I will have a diploma as opposed to a degree. I take it there is no point applying for anything untill qualified?

Does anyone know of any Paramedics in Aus who were trained in Republic of Ireland? Anyone at all? Are the Irish Paramedics recognised?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

3 posts
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

to pm
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SPHYGOFTHEDUMP
Hello All,

I am yet another guy looking for advice. I live in Ireland (although I am British)and there is a different setup to UK with regards training to Paramedic level.
UK guys are better trained than us but we have a wider scope of practice than a UK Tech. We are somewhere in the middle!
I am looking to move out to Aus as Ireland is slowly going down the toilet and any advice would be much appreciated. Me and the family really dont mind which state , whichever has the easiest application process!!

Did you guys apply for your visa first or apply for the job first? I know that sounds like a silly question but was just wondering. When qualified here (one year to go) I will have a diploma as opposed to a degree. I take it there is no point applying for anything untill qualified?

Does anyone know of any Paramedics in Aus who were trained in Republic of Ireland? Anyone at all? Are the Irish Paramedics recognised?

Thanks in advance!
Hiya,

Job first, visa after, as job is dependant on visa (or at least in my case anyways...dont think the uk is any different as the ambulance service is not on any skills lists) so you need sponsorship for the visa from the ambo's there.

Not sure about the rest of Aus but St John's WA are offering me the sponsorship which I am hoping to start processing once I sign the contract and get it back to them. hopefully I'll be able to get to the pm now (think this is the third post!).

HR there are a wee bit dis-organised to deal with sometimes but the past few weeks they have been pretty good. i got offered the job a few months back but due to some confusion while I was waiting to hear from them they have been pretty good and extended the offer until i can get things sorted here and notice etc worked. That said I still havent made the final decision to go as I have one of the coveted rostered posts right beside home here, but its looking pretty likely I'll give it up as the opportunities over that way are looking a wee bit better for me at the moment!

Application process for WA isn't too bad, just fill in the application form, and wait to hear from them. my personal experience is that they have been quite slow at times and then suddenly everything is being done and then slowing down again, but im getting there!

As for the quals, as far as I know-ambulance officer grade II is more or less similar to 'paramedic' here, although i do have a good bit of experience on the road here post-qual so I'm not sure where they sit on experience if you were newly qualified. Anyone is welcome to shed some light if I have got it wrong?!?

As for the service there, i have heard mixed reports...I went out there at the start of the year for a holiday to suss things out, but didnt get very far....got the interviews and fitness completed when there but got a pretty much ice-cold reception when I called to one of the stations to see if I could chat to some of the staff, which was really off-putting. Also tried to meet any of the management, on the road staff (didnt meet anyone who worked the road at any stage at all when i was there!?!?)and to do an observation shift after the interviews but didnt hear from them until weeks later when i had already left the country so looks like a very mixed bag, and has a lot to do with why i have delayed for a bit.

Hopefully though I was just unlucky and just bumped into the wrong people as if I was to go on that i wouldnt leave here for it at all! If anyone looking at this would like to set my mind at rest please feel free to :-)

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else out there still going through the St.J application process? Hows it going? I am part way through and typically this thread has gone 'orribly quiet.
Have you all emmigrated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.