Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:17 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Originally Posted by Goodbye uk
Good news twinsdad, sure youll be heading over very soon. I think I'll give them a call next week. Had my email asking availabilty dates for initial tel interview...... 6 weeks ago but unfortunately Ive heard nothing since.

I know they are busy busy busy and dont want to hassle them but it would be nice to get things moving as its been nearly 5 mths since I applied.

See you over there next year hopefully
Thanks yes give them a call and see what's happening, this whole process has taken me 5 months from initial application to final vc. Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Already an Aussie..... It is almost a formality you just need to be positive and tell them what they want to hear. Good luck

Joey.... Your estimations for the first month are very good although I think you are under budgeting for food and over budgeting on fuel so overall it should level out nicely.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Joey0483 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HANK2010
Already an Aussie..... It is almost a formality you just need to be positive and tell them what they want to hear. Good luck

Joey.... Your estimations for the first month are very good although I think you are under budgeting for food and over budgeting on fuel so overall it should level out nicely.
Thanks for the info Hank
Oh wow, more than £600 per month for food....i am always moaning here about how much i spend as my children are 3 and 5 but never stop eating, and as for my hubby......
How much would you say you spend a week on food ? Family of 4 with 2 young greedies....
I know it is all personal, but just to give me an idea.....
I hear horror stories about bananas so no bananas allowed
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Joey0483
Thanks for the info Hank
Oh wow, more than £600 per month for food....i am always moaning here about how much i spend as my children are 3 and 5 but never stop eating, and as for my hubby......
How much would you say you spend a week on food ? Family of 4 with 2 young greedies....
I know it is all personal, but just to give me an idea.....
I hear horror stories about bananas so no bananas allowed
Bananas are expensive but mainly due to the Queensland floods.
We are a family of 3 and I would say we spend £800 a month. Now I'm sure you could spend Alot less but I for one will not buy cheap when it comes to your health and food. Hope this helps. I will say that overall I really haven't found much different to cost of living here than in the uk and I am getting Alot better wage!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HANK2010
Bananas are expensive but mainly due to the Queensland floods.
We are a family of 3 and I would say we spend £800 a month. Now I'm sure you could spend Alot less but I for one will not buy cheap when it comes to your health and food. Hope this helps. I will say that overall I really haven't found much different to cost of living here than in the uk and I am getting Alot better wage!
Thanks alot Hank.
When we come over, I will be the only earner for a while and my hubby is going to look after the kids until they are both in full time education.
In your opinion. is the paramedic wage enough to support a family of 4?
We are looking at spending $450/$500 per week rental...
I believe we all need to start off on AP1 and then at the end of our probationary period we can write and request to be promoted to AP2/3 with supporting documents from our service explaining our length of service and experience.
When I was working out all my figures, I estimated I would take home approx £2200 per fortnight in wages - taking away the rent of $1000 per fortnight, it only leaves $1200 which isnt a great deal to pay for food, bills, car, etc, etc.
How have you found it and are you the only breadwinner?
Are you enjoying life with St Johns and found the staff to be welcoming and supportive?
We are coming out for a reccie in November and HR have said I could do my final HR interview at HQ whilst there - providing i can do the sit ups and press ups of course!!
Thanks alot for your help - did you used to work for Secamb? Thats who I am with.....Jo x
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks alot Hank.
When we come over, I will be the only earner for a while and my hubby is going to look after the kids until they are both in full time education.
I believe we all need to start off on AP1 and then at the end of our probationary period we can write and request to be promoted to AP2/3 with supporting documents from our service explaining our length of service and experience.
When I was working out all my figures, I estimated I would take home approx £2200 per fortnight in wages - taking away the rent of $1000 per fortnight, it only leaves $1200 which isnt a great deal to pay for food, bills, car, etc, etc.
Are you enjoying life with St Johns and found the staff to be welcoming and supportive?
We are coming out for a reccie in November and HR have said I could do my final HR interview at HQ whilst there - providing i can do the sit ups and press ups of course!!
Thanks alot for your help - did you used to work for Secamb? Thats who I am with.....Jo x
Hi Joey,

What you've said there seems pretty much spot on. I'm the only earner in my house, 3 kids, on AP2 wage. Rental of $420 pw (about 12-15k's from city centre). As an AP2 with salary packaging and without O/T I take home just under $2500 per fortnight. It seems to last, maybe being paid every 2 weeks makes it seem much better
Your figure of 450-500 pw rental would get you a very nice house here. We're currently looking at moving a bit further south, toward Rockingham/secret harbour area, and you can get some excellent newbuild properties (4 bed & with en suite etc) there for $400 pw.

As regards getting your AP1 2 or 3 status, you'll get it once you finish your 3 or 4 weeks in the classroom, meaning you'll be graded correctly even when you're on your 8 week on the road probation, as long as you show the relevent documents.

We spend appx $500 per fortnight on shopping, sounds a lot, but that includes us still buying the odd items that we didn't (and wish we had) bring over with us, e.g. cooking utensils, random rolling pin, salad bowl etc etc

Hope this helps

Phil
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:14 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Thanks alot Hank.
I'm just waiting for final confirmation - had my VC last week and should know by the end of next week, if successful I'll be looking at starting December. Your post is asking exactly the question that's been concerning me, married with 3 kids and wondering if I can afford to support us all on my wages alone - para 1 for first 3 weeks then i was told para 3 as soon as out on the road. I was talking to my sister who emigrated 5 years ago to Melbourne and she reckoned that as ambo,s our salaries are pretty good compared with the national average. My brother in law is a prison officer and my sister does clerical work and she reckoned that their combined salaries even with the brother in law doing overtime didn't equal the amount a paramedic would earn; she seems convinced and was keen to reassure me that circa 22-2400 per fortnight was easily enough for a decent quality of life. I guess the problem with asking people about money/cost of living is that the answers are so subjective. Bottom line for me is I don't see our quality of life in Aus being any worse than in the UK in terms of being able to afford stuff and hopefully money issues aside, much improved. I too was looking at 450 - 500pw rentals but now think initially I'll take something much cheaper until we get used to aussie money then when more comfortable go for a bigger place if money allows. If there's anyone already out there with one income and kids to support in the same situation as me and Jo I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi Joey,

What you've said there seems pretty much spot on. I'm the only earner in my house, 3 kids, on AP2 wage. Rental of $420 pw (about 12-15k's from city centre). As an AP2 with salary packaging and without O/T I take home just under $2500 per fortnight. It seems to last, maybe being paid every 2 weeks makes it seem much better
Your figure of 450-500 pw rental would get you a very nice house here. We're currently looking at moving a bit further south, toward Rockingham/secret harbour area, and you can get some excellent newbuild properties (4 bed & with en suite etc) there for $400 pw.

As regards getting your AP1 2 or 3 status, you'll get it once you finish your 3 or 4 weeks in the classroom, meaning you'll be graded correctly even when you're on your 8 week on the road probation, as long as you show the relevent documents.

We spend appx $500 per fortnight on shopping, sounds a lot, but that includes us still buying the odd items that we didn't (and wish we had) bring over with us, e.g. cooking utensils, random rolling pin, salad bowl etc etc

Hope this helps

Phil
Thanks Phil, thats really helpful
Think i will prob be AP2 as i have been a para for 7 years but had 2 years off due to maternity, etc.
Funny you mention secret harbour - that is exactly where i keep getting 'drawn' towards. Schools look great and it is a little way out of the city which suits us.
We are hoping to come out mid march (assuming i am on the april course) to find a good rental and look at schools etc - am wondering how much of a commute it is from there to the HQ and whether it is doable?
Glad you seem to enjoy it so much out there - one of my friends from the service here joined SJA in April and she loves it.
ANy advice/inspiration, muchly appreciated
jo x
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
I'm just waiting for final confirmation - had my VC last week and should know by the end of next week, if successful I'll be looking at starting December. Your post is asking exactly the question that's been concerning me, married with 3 kids and wondering if I can afford to support us all on my wages alone - para 1 for first 3 weeks then i was told para 3 as soon as out on the road. I was talking to my sister who emigrated 5 years ago to Melbourne and she reckoned that as ambo,s our salaries are pretty good compared with the national average. My brother in law is a prison officer and my sister does clerical work and she reckoned that their combined salaries even with the brother in law doing overtime didn't equal the amount a paramedic would earn; she seems convinced and was keen to reassure me that circa 22-2400 per fortnight was easily enough for a decent quality of life. I guess the problem with asking people about money/cost of living is that the answers are so subjective. Bottom line for me is I don't see our quality of life in Aus being any worse than in the UK in terms of being able to afford stuff and hopefully money issues aside, much improved. I too was looking at 450 - 500pw rentals but now think initially I'll take something much cheaper until we get used to aussie money then when more comfortable go for a bigger place if money allows. If there's anyone already out there with one income and kids to support in the same situation as me and Jo I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Good luck and keep us posted x
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:52 pm
Perth WA

Thanks Phil, thats really helpful
Think i will prob be AP2 as i have been a para for 7 years but had 2 years off due to maternity, etc.
Funny you mention secret harbour - that is exactly where i keep getting 'drawn' towards. Schools look great and it is a little way out of the city which suits us.
We are hoping to come out mid march (assuming i am on the april course) to find a good rental and look at schools etc - am wondering how much of a commute it is from there to the HQ and whether it is doable?
Glad you seem to enjoy it so much out there - one of my friends from the service here joined SJA in April and she loves it.
ANy advice/inspiration, muchly appreciated
jo x
Thanks Phil That is very helpful and reassuring
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:52 pm
Perth WA

Good luck and keep us posted x
Thanks Jo will do
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Top result Twinsdad, hope you hear soon.
Hater have you had your rescheduled conference call? Hope so.
I have my physical next week, has anyone else had any movement from Oz?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks alot Hank.
Yep i was part of the SECAMB establishment, i wont tell you what i think of them!

Well funnily enough im living in Secret Harbour and it is indeed beautiful. 450 - 500 a week here is alot and you could get a place for alot less that is stunning compared to whats in the UK. If you were to rent for 360-400 you would be more than comfortable.

So far i am loving it here and EVERYONE i have met has been friendly in the job.

Good luck everyone!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:40 am
Just Joined

sailboy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Have read the whole thread and what a wealth of info! Im currently in Sydney after visiting my brother for his birthday in Adelaide. Found out about the recruitment and applied last night! Return home to the UK next week after applications close.

Secret Harbour and Port Kennedy look like great places a 3-4 bedroom for 350-400 $

I do have one question... I have been qualified for 2 years, after initial training what pay level could I expect. Would I remain on AP1 or would I move to AP2?

Thanks everyone and good luck to all of you waiting for emails and VC's.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Goodbye uk is an unknown quantity at this point

HI folks. good to hear some of you getting close to the big move.

I call HR on monday to let them know the list of dates they requested for my availablity for tel interview was approaching the last date of the 6 weeks I gave them. They assured me that they are working through applications but due to time differences can make only one interview call per day...... sounds logical, if a little frustrating.

Bottom line........ good things come to those who wait so my plan now is to chill....... take advantage of the extra time to get fitter and save pennies and look forward to progressing as and when it happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.