Reload this Page >

Finding a Job in Australia

Finding a Job in Australia

Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Montu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a Job in Australia

Hey guys,
Happy new year to you all, I need your help if possible please.
I'm 33 and have a degree in Marine and freshwater biology.
I would love to move to Australia as I fell in love with the place when I was out there for a year on my working / holiday visa.

I'm single and have nothing stopping me emigrating apart from trying to find a job or a company that is willing to sponsor me.

I'm looking into other areas for jobs and not just the Marine and freshwater side - basically I'm looking for any kind of job!

Would anybody know where to look for jobs or if they know any jobs going at there place of work please?

Does anyone work for the Veolia Water company??

I would prefer to live in WA or the northern territories but to be honest I'm not picky and would move anywhere in Oz.

Thanks for any help and it is much appreciated.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a Job in Australia

The important bit is do you have a visa? Are you eligible for a visa? Www.immi.gov.au
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The important bit is do you have a visa? Are you eligible for a visa? Www.immi.gov.au
Hi Dorothy
Many thanks for the reply - Yes I am eligible for a visa.

Its says 3 actually
Visa 1 - Skilled - Independent (subclass 189) visa

Visa 2 - Skilled - Nominated (subclass 190) visa

Visa 3 - Skilled - Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Hi Dorothy

Many thanks for the reply.
Yes it says that I could get 1 of 3 visa's

Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

I believe the first visa option is the best, the 189. It'll let you do freely what you want to do. A 189 might be more expensive compared to sponsorship, but if the sponsorship goes t*t$ up, you won't have to leave the country within the mandatory 28 days.
Someone will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong....

It is very hard to get a job in OZ while being on the otherside of the world, so get your visa asap, save some money and get yourself over there... What you could do is sort some leads before you arrive and get in contact with job agencies and send them your resume and make apointments for when you first arrive to pop in and have a chat....
but first things first and get your visa sorted

good luck
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montu
Hi Dorothy

Its says 3 actually

Are you absolutely sure? Marine biologist is not on SOL schedule 1 anyway, so that would rule out the top one...

I have checked all the state sponsorship lists except Tasmania and it is not there so that rules out option 2 and partially rules out option 3 (I didn't check all the provisional lists).

Or do you have another professiona that you have not mentioned? Anyway, I agree with Dorothy, that it is better to work on your visa strategy than worry about finding jobs first of all. Nevertheless www.seek.com is a decent job search website, if you are looking for "anything" it is pretty hard to advise you further.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 5th 2013 at 7:15 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montu
Hi Dorothy

Its says 3 actually

If you qualify for a 189 you don't need a sponsor.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you qualify for a visa. Your only chance of sponsorship as a marine biologist would be a phd.