Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weekend Away - Suggestions Please

Weekend Away - Suggestions Please

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice
Default Weekend Away - Suggestions Please

Hello all, I am in South Australia at the moment, I have a long weekend off in October so want to go to either Sydney, Brisbane or the Gold Coast. I've been to Brisbane a few times with work so not fussed about going there again just yet but I have family to consider who would like to go at some point to go to Universal and Sea World and all that.

So we have 2 boys, one 2 1/2 years, and one 11 weeks old so he doesn't really have any interest in where we go as long as he is fed, warm and clean. But anyway, which would you guys suggest out of the 3? I'm fancying Sydney but is there much to do there if no car for a weekend other than the Harbour and shopping?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:40 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekend Away - Suggestions Please

Darling harbour has a huge park and loads of things for kids, the aquarium is fabulous and it has Taronga zoo. The botanical gardens are like a huge park you have beaches at manly, bronte, tanamara and bondi.
there is the tourist free bus the 555 that goes round the cbd every 10 mins. the trains and buses are cheap just get prepay tickets from a newsagent for the buses.

for a holiday weekend you will not have enough time to do all you want to
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I'd go Sydney, if you can get a hotel near the CBD and handy to public transport. Ideas: Ferry ride to Manly, Taronga Zoo, Luna Park, Aquarium (walk through plexiglass tunnel).
I remember when my boys were in their twos they liked lots of visual experiences and if the weather is nice you will have a great time.

Brisbane is a bit of a dump at Weekends unless you are into binge drinking and glassing strangers, and public transport is exorbitant. (that's from an Ex Queenslander).

edit; asher got in first
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Thanks guys I think you've told me what I wanted to hear!! I'll ring the Mrs to get it booked. PS. Virgin Australia cheap domestic flight sale ends today. This for us is $550 from Adelaide to Sydney return for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:57 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
Thanks guys I think you've told me what I wanted to hear!! I'll ring the Mrs to get it booked. PS. Virgin Australia cheap domestic flight sale ends today. This for us is $550 from Adelaide to Sydney return for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant.
thanks for the heads up on the flights but we will be driving slowly up from melbourne and stopping a lot on the way visiting friends
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I'd go Sydney, if you can get a hotel near the CBD and handy to public transport. Ideas: Ferry ride to Manly, Taronga Zoo, Luna Park, Aquarium (walk through plexiglass tunnel).
I remember when my boys were in their twos they liked lots of visual experiences and if the weather is nice you will have a great time.

Brisbane is a bit of a dump at Weekends unless you are into binge drinking and glassing strangers, and public transport is exorbitant. (that's from an Ex Queenslander).

edit; asher got in first
Well ,you'll recognise this saying well then...........Buuuuuuullllshiiiit !

Last edited by bobbyftm; Aug 23rd 2013 at 8:57 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Admittedly not as bad as the Bigg Market on a Saturday neet in the 60s
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Admittedly not as bad as the Bigg Market on a Saturday neet in the 60s
Still the same nowadays apparently after the local derby