We made it!

Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear such positive news, gives us all waiting in the UK some hope and makes us remember why we are putting ourselves through all this grief!!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:06 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: We made it!

Originally posted by rachels
Hi

We've been in Brisbane for two whole weeks now and so far so good!

We absolutely love it (I know, its early days!) and are very happy.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice (good and bad) that made the whole thing easier.

First impressions:

Its a very clean city
People are really friendly and helpful
Cost of living isn't really any cheaper than UK in terms of food, clothes, drinks etc although rents are lower
There's loads to do - we've been to the theatre, cinema, out for lots of meals and there are loads of free rugby-related events at the moment, giant screens with all the games etc.
Its really easy to get around and public transport is fantastic
We've got loads of wildlife right on our doorstep (but no spiders or snakes, yet!)
TV is terrible
Weather is nice - lots of rain this past couple of weeks followed by lovely sunny spells
Loads to see a bit further out of Brisbane

If anyone has any Brisbane related questions I'll be happy to return the favour.

PS We had no trouble with Seven Seas shipping our stuff

Nice to read a positive post. Keep them comming.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:38 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Bloomin excited hearing posts like this. We are going to Brisbane early next year, i got my visa in case you didn't notice. Two dry days running now & the world still seems a happier place.
It was not the booze it was the visa all along.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:24 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Hi

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered opinions and advice (good and bad) that made the whole thing easier.

First impressions:

Its a very clean city
Cost of living isn't really any cheaper than UK in terms of food, clothes, drinks etc although rents are lower
There's loads to do - we've been to the theatre, cinema, out for lots of meals and there are loads of free rugby-related events at the moment, giant screens with all the games etc.
We've got loads of wildlife right on our doorstep (but no spiders or snakes, yet!)
TV is terrible
Weather is nice - lots of rain this past couple of weeks followed by lovely sunny spells

If anyone has any Brisbane related questions I'll be happy to return the favour.

Hi,
Good luck and its so good to see some positive news on here as its been a bit down of late.

Cheers Kev. One week to go.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rach

Nice to hear that you are settling in to your new life.
Just wondered if you were badly affected by jet lag.
We returned form America last week and I have been suffering slightly but my 9yr old son has been terrible.11.30 last night and he was still tossing and turning telling me he couldn't sleep then come this morning I can't get him out of bed.
Any tips on how to deal with jet lag would be appreciated.

Diane
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:32 am
Just Joined

karenmck_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachels
Welcome to Brisbane from a fellow Geordie! I have been reading your posts with interest for the past few months and have been looking for your arrival. I've been here for about 18 months now and still love it just as much (although we have been out of the uk for 9 years now). We are a bit further out than you, in Samford (about 30 mins north west). Good luck!
Karen
Old Oct 19th 2003, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Great to hear from others heading to or already arrived in Brisbane, there seems to be a few Geordies, maybe we just can't resist the lure of the North East?!

As for jet lag, we did suffer a bit but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. We landed at 5am in Brisbane and after dropping our stuff off we went for a short walk and picked up some milk and tea etc. We then collapsed into bed at 10.30am and slept for 12 hours straight! We got up for a few hours and then went back to bed (to try and force the "its night time and therefore time to sleep" issue).

We thought we had it cracked but after two or three days it really hit us. Not that we couldn't sleep at night, just that we were absolutely shattered during the day. We made ourseves get up at a reasonabe time and that meant we were dog tired by bedtime so we did sleep. Sorry that's not much help really, I suppose my advice is just hit the hay when you feel like it on the first day but then try to get into a normal routine pretty quickly after that. I do think its normal to still feel a bit "weird" after a week though.

We're off to check out the markets at Eagle Street Pier and the South Bank today and then lunch alfresco if the weather holds (the wettest Sept/Oct for 5 years I've been told!) its a good life.

Good luck to all those headed down under soon, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:55 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Karen, hi, where abouts are you in Samford? We live in Highvale on Mt Glorious Road - have been in our house for just over one month. We have twins in grade 2 at Samford School. We have been here since beginning August, originally from Gloucester. Look forward to hearing from you.

Dawn

Originally posted by karenmck_98
Hi Rachels
Welcome to Brisbane from a fellow Geordie! I have been reading your posts with interest for the past few months and have been looking for your arrival. I've been here for about 18 months now and still love it just as much (although we have been out of the uk for 9 years now). We are a bit further out than you, in Samford (about 30 mins north west). Good luck!
Karen
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Rachels,

good to know that that have settled down well and like the new place.

Myself have submitted under Skill Inde. and still waiting for the outcome.If things go on well, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will be my choice of places.

I have been to the first two but not Brisbane.Could you please advise which are the suburds that have good primary schools ?

I hope you do not mind me asking what is your total expenditure/expenses for the whole household, including rental, food, transport etc, all in , for a week.

Thanks
Hi

First impressions:

Its a very clean city
TV is terrible

Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

karenmck_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dmf
Karen, hi, where abouts are you in Samford? We live in Highvale on Mt Glorious Road - have been in our house for just over one month. We have twins in grade 2 at Samford School. We have been here since beginning August, originally from Gloucester. Look forward to hearing from you.

Dawn
Hi Dawn,
We live in Wights Mountain, I have a son in grade 5 at Samford School and a daughter in preschool at Ferny Grove because Samford Preschool was full, she will go to Samford for grade 1 though.
How are you settling in? We love here it so much. We must get together, my phone number is in all of the IBPs in the run up to the school fair, I was the Stall Convenor. Give me a ring and we can sort something out.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Karen
Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:25 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Karen, have sent you PM.

Dawn
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi TYHE.A

We also had the choice of Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane and for us the hard choice was between Melbourne or Brissy (nothing against Sydney, just after years in BIG cities we wanted a change). In the end Brisbane won out because of the surrounding area (QLD is an amazing state), the climate and a the fact that it came top of the "Cheapest cities to live in Australia" and was also high up on the "most liveable" list.

I can't really help with a list of good primary schools as we don't have any kids and so don't pick up on things like that. However, if you go to www.ourbrisbane.com and then click education, then schools, you get a comprehensive list of what's available. I will keep my eyes open and see if I can find a "top 10" list or something for you.

In terms of expenditure, I don't mind you asking at all but its a hard one to answer. We have only been here just over 3 weeks so have only had one bill so far! That was for electricity and it was $30 for two weeks. Our rent is $245 a week for a fully furnished one bedroom apartment in an inner city suburb (quite swish so I'm told) and Andy spends $25 a week on travel. We spend around $100 a week on food.

Its complicated for us because I'm a postgrad student and therefore get half price travel and reductions at cinemas and events etc and we are trying to live more frugally than we would at home because I am not working.

We are moving just before Christmas, probably to West End or Paddington and have seen nice two bed apartments for around $220 a week and also I will take on some part time work in the new year so things will change a little. Hope this helps a bit, it might be a good idea to ask me a month or so down the line when I've seen the phone bill and have had the air con on for a while! The ourbrisbane site also has a suburb overview section and it gives you an idea of house prices (rental and to buy) in each suburb.

Sorry I couldn't be more useful!
Cheers
Old Oct 24th 2003, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TYHE.A

We also had the choice of Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane and for us the hard choice was between Melbourne or Brissy (nothing against Sydney, just after years in BIG cities we wanted a change). In the end Brisbane won out because of the surrounding area (QLD is an amazing state), the climate and a the fact that it came top of the "Cheapest cities to live in Australia" and was also high up on the "most liveable" list.

I can't really help with a list of good primary schools as we don't have any kids and so don't pick up on things like that. However, if you go to www.ourbrisbane.com and then click education, then schools, you get a comprehensive list of what's available. I will keep my eyes open and see if I can find a "top 10" list or something for you.

In terms of expenditure, I don't mind you asking at all but its a hard one to answer. We have only been here just over 3 weeks so have only had one bill so far! That was for electricity and it was $30 for two weeks. Our rent is $245 a week for a fully furnished one bedroom apartment in an inner city suburb (quite swish so I'm told) and Andy spends $25 a week on travel. We spend around $100 a week on food.

Its complicated for us because I'm a postgrad student and therefore get half price travel and reductions at cinemas and events etc and we are trying to live more frugally than we would at home because I am not working.

We are moving just before Christmas, probably to West End or Paddington and have seen nice two bed apartments for around $220 a week and also I will take on some part time work in the new year so things will change a little. Hope this helps a bit, it might be a good idea to ask me a month or so down the line when I've seen the phone bill and have had the air con on for a while! The ourbrisbane site also has a suburb overview section and it gives you an idea of house prices (rental and to buy) in each suburb.

Sorry I couldn't be more useful!
Cheers
Hi Rachels,

I am indeed thankful for your comprehensive reply.Your reply have certainly gave a better picture of the cost of living in Brisbane.

Well, now I guess the `average ' household expenditure in Brisbane is A400 per week .I suppose there is not too much difference between Brisbane and Sydney,the only difference lies in the price of the property.

I am sort of worry about the job opportunity in Brisbane esp I am not a native English speaker ( may be you can sense from the way I write and the grammer mistakes I made , but I will strive to improve my English). Sydney being bigger will have more jobs, but then I may have to repay my mortgage until age 60 , compares to if I choose to stay in Brisbane where I may be able to be mortgage -free at age of 50.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by THYE.A.

Well, now I guess the `average ' household expenditure in Brisbane is A400 per week .I suppose there is not too much difference between Brisbane and Sydney,the only difference lies in the price of the property.

Hi

I don't think the "average" expenditure in Brisbane is $400 a week. As I mentioned, we haven't had many bills yet, also we haven't bought a car yet and are being very frugal until we get settled. So I imagine that the average outgoings are more than that.

Also, I think the cost of living in Sydney is higher than Brisbane and not just in terms of house prices. When Brisbane came top of the "cheapest cities in Aus" list they were taking into account food prices, travel costs, eating out, cinemas - all of those things that go into making up daily life in a city, not just the house prices.

Having said that, the job opportunities seem to be FAR greater in Sydney than in Brisbane. I don't think you should worry about not being a native English speaker, certainly the big 3 Australian cities are very multicultural (and probably the smaller cities too but I'm not sure).

What sort of work would you be looking for? There are probably other people on this forum who are looking or have found similar work who could tell you how hard it is in each city.

Cheers