Reload this Page >

we are here in sydney Myth shooting 2

we are here in sydney Myth shooting 2

Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:01 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default we are here in sydney Myth shooting 2

Dear all,
well 149 replies and several hundred viewings I must have at least started something. I have read most of the posings and I would like to reply to some and also give an update. Re the TV for $150 I am sure this was at Big W in Warringah Mall I also agree that the dvd players are cheaper than the video recorders, but still circa $150 don't foget to haggle.....this is a real tip to those in the UK coming to Aus...can you imagine going into John Lewis, Curries or Dixons and haggling the price, well you do here, jut imagine you are in a car showroom in the UK, who ever pays full price?...well that is the same for TV's, Fridges, Furniture, cars etc etc belive it or not the best deal I got was at Myer ( like John Lewis) I managed to get the price down by 15%, free deivery and install of a plasma TV along with a further 10% because I opened a Myer card account and this applies to your first purchase, the deal at the time was free Foxtel fro 6 months including install ( circa $500) and also LG were doing a deal which gave us a free stereo and set to box...now that is what I call a deal......on the haggle front be prepared to walk away and come back another day and see a different assistant you never know.
The Coles I use is at Kellyville, I live in Castle Hill, it is huge and maybe we just have a very good one....on the ready meals front I do agree, but this is a different way of life, its an outside culture, would you eat a ready meal outside in the UK on sunny summers evening..NO.. you would have a salad and maybe something on the BBQ...well last week (winterish) we sat outside at lunchtime for Fathers Day over here ( got 2 in one year now there is a first UK and Aus) the temp was circa 20 degrees and sunny, salads, BBQ prawns and grilled mango on the gas BBQ outside, pray tell me why I need to have a Tesco Chicken with Bacon in a white sauce ready meal in a plastic tub cooked in a microwave...its different out here...why move from the UK and live exactly the same thats just boring you have to go with the flow.....on that front when you get invited o a BBQ over here you take your own beer and wine in your Eskie ( cool box) and maybe your own meat for the Barbie....the hosts provide the BBQ and th company, no wonder they have so many parties over here you can afford to, its just cooking your evening meal with friends.....can you imagine taking your Tesco Chicken and bacon in white sauce and cooking it in your mates microwave...maybe as students but not with the wife and kids.
I know we have a water shortage over here but most mornings I do love the bright blue sky's and sunshine everyday it makes you feel so much better and Spring and Summer are yet to come..bring it on
On the subject of Bunnings I a sure it is like B&Q ut it is still good and reasonable, power screwdriver for £3.60 and a verandah table and two chairs which are really comfortable just $49 ( thats circa £20) I like it anyway!!

Another slightly annoying thing the speed limits..very low and change about 10 times on the same road within within 5KMs...I do like the speed restrictions around schools 40km's good idea this!!
On a personal note I hate meters on a golf course YARDS please but hey add 10% and a bit and you are there so hey.
A useful tip is to practice several times the questions online for the drivers knowledge test it helped my son, wife and myself pass first time.

I have some other info on buying house compared to the UK if this is of use to anyone, send me a PM also on schools in the Hills area for 14 and 16 year olds if this helps

So over to the long time Aussies please advise some great places to visit within an hour+ of the Hills including god restraunts..what do we like places like? Dee Why and the seafront coffee shops and great sarnies, Manly, and Palm Beach thas the sea where to go in the mountains, the inland waterways ( sorry no boat only a car) the hunter valley and maybe some tips for the great ocean road in a soft top during the Autumn.

Back soon
Gary and Terri
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we are here in sydney Myth shooting 2

Originally Posted by Gary / Terri
Dear all,
well 149 replies and several hundred viewings I must have at least started something. I have read most of the posings and I would like to reply to some and also give an update. Re the TV for $150 I am sure this was at Big W in Warringah Mall I also agree that the dvd players are cheaper than the video recorders, but still circa $150 don't foget to haggle.....this is a real tip to those in the UK coming to Aus...can you imagine going into John Lewis, Curries or Dixons and haggling the price, well you do here, jut imagine you are in a car showroom in the UK, who ever pays full price?...well that is the same for TV's, Fridges, Furniture, cars etc etc belive it or not the best deal I got was at Myer ( like John Lewis) I managed to get the price down by 15%, free deivery and install of a plasma TV along with a further 10% because I opened a Myer card account and this applies to your first purchase, the deal at the time was free Foxtel fro 6 months including install ( circa $500) and also LG were doing a deal which gave us a free stereo and set to box...now that is what I call a deal......on the haggle front be prepared to walk away and come back another day and see a different assistant you never know.
The Coles I use is at Kellyville, I live in Castle Hill, it is huge and maybe we just have a very good one....on the ready meals front I do agree, but this is a different way of life, its an outside culture, would you eat a ready meal outside in the UK on sunny summers evening..NO.. you would have a salad and maybe something on the BBQ...well last week (winterish) we sat outside at lunchtime for Fathers Day over here ( got 2 in one year now there is a first UK and Aus) the temp was circa 20 degrees and sunny, salads, BBQ prawns and grilled mango on the gas BBQ outside, pray tell me why I need to have a Tesco Chicken with Bacon in a white sauce ready meal in a plastic tub cooked in a microwave...its different out here...why move from the UK and live exactly the same thats just boring you have to go with the flow.....on that front when you get invited o a BBQ over here you take your own beer and wine in your Eskie ( cool box) and maybe your own meat for the Barbie....the hosts provide the BBQ and th company, no wonder they have so many parties over here you can afford to, its just cooking your evening meal with friends.....can you imagine taking your Tesco Chicken and bacon in white sauce and cooking it in your mates microwave...maybe as students but not with the wife and kids.
I know we have a water shortage over here but most mornings I do love the bright blue sky's and sunshine everyday it makes you feel so much better and Spring and Summer are yet to come..bring it on
On the subject of Bunnings I a sure it is like B&Q ut it is still good and reasonable, power screwdriver for £3.60 and a verandah table and two chairs which are really comfortable just $49 ( thats circa £20) I like it anyway!!

Another slightly annoying thing the speed limits..very low and change about 10 times on the same road within within 5KMs...I do like the speed restrictions around schools 40km's good idea this!!
On a personal note I hate meters on a golf course YARDS please but hey add 10% and a bit and you are there so hey.
A useful tip is to practice several times the questions online for the drivers knowledge test it helped my son, wife and myself pass first time.

I have some other info on buying house compared to the UK if this is of use to anyone, send me a PM also on schools in the Hills area for 14 and 16 year olds if this helps

So over to the long time Aussies please advise some great places to visit within an hour+ of the Hills including god restraunts..what do we like places like? Dee Why and the seafront coffee shops and great sarnies, Manly, and Palm Beach thas the sea where to go in the mountains, the inland waterways ( sorry no boat only a car) the hunter valley and maybe some tips for the great ocean road in a soft top during the Autumn.

Back soon
Gary and Terri
Agree microwave tesco bacon in white sauce sounds disgusting but where are you finding mangoes in winter here?? We are in QLD where they grow and you wont see them till December and then they will start at a fiver each.

Dont get too excited about the 10% discounts on everything you buy, its been done to death really, mates of ours own a retravision (electrical store) they just bung 15% on the ticket price so people can haggle them down Cars will always be discounted at this time of year, red book figures will have that car depriciated to a year old model in 2/3 months, best time to buy is January, nobody wants to buy a car with a 2004 plate when its 2005, thems the bargains.

Glad your enjoying it, clear sunny weather is the norm in winter, summer brings the rainy season.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jad n rich]Agree microwave tesco bacon in white sauce sounds disgusting but where are you finding mangoes in winter here?? We are in QLD where they grow and you wont see them till December and then they will start at a fiver each.

Mangoes at my Caloundra Greengrocers today were $3.99, pricey but still available in Sept!
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a mango tree (bush) in my front yard - free mangoes (though none at the moment)
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tinaj]
Originally Posted by jad n rich
Agree microwave tesco bacon in white sauce sounds disgusting but where are you finding mangoes in winter here?? We are in QLD where they grow and you wont see them till December and then they will start at a fiver each.

Mangoes at my Caloundra Greengrocers today were $3.99, pricey but still available in Sept!
Not the ones aussies eat once youve tasted the real thing, bursting with juice just fell off a tree, cant stand fruit forced on just to hit the market at a silly price.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jayr
I've got a mango tree (bush) in my front yard - free mangoes (though none at the moment)
Lucky thing, we had a mango tree overhanging our rental house, the new owners across the fence cut down all the trees so they could put in a rendered privacy wall with a water feature, dickheads

Anyway it was a real bowen type mango tree, the sweet juicy ones, not the ones nicknamed Turpentine mangos because they taste just like Turps :scared: So much for the 60 year old tree, chopped up gone to the tip.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:49 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Gary / Terri
.. please advise some great places to visit within an hour+ of the Hills including god restraunts..what do we like places like? Dee Why and the seafront coffee shops and great sarnies, Manly, and Palm Beach thas the sea where to go in the mountains, the inland waterways ( sorry no boat only a car) the hunter valley and maybe some tips for the great ocean road in a soft top during the Autumn.

Back soon
Gary and Terri
Just a few for starters:
Barrenjoey Lighthouse - park at the golf course before you get to Palm beach. Walk along the beach, then follow the route to the top of the headland and the lighthouse. Great views in all directions.
(There is a car park closer, but I like the stroll along the beach).
Similarly, try West Head in the KC Nat park.

In the Hunter, we've had lots of recommendations for Hunter Country Lodge & Shakey Tables. Not been able to book either time. We're trying Cambridge Retreat in October. Will let you know on that one. You can't go too wrong with any wineries, but I tend to avoid the real big places so you get a more personal service. Personal favourite is Audrey Wilkinsons > Great location, views, service and wine.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Just a few for starters:
We're trying Cambridge Retreat in October. Will let you know on that one. You can't go too wrong with any wineries, but I tend to avoid the real big places so you get a more personal service. .
Cambridge retreat: very good - a definite thumbs-up. I went there twice (mind you, it was about 5 years ago...).
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Bobbin head is a great place to visit. Follow pacific highway north past hornsby and you'll see a brown sign for Bobbin Head. Lots of bbq's to use, although they get busy at the weekends, boats to hire, fishing, excellent playground catering for all ages and lovely bush walks. Also has a visitor centre half way up the hill with a walk through their animal enclosures where you'll see Kangaroos and very friendly emus!!

In the Blue Mountains, Katoomba is the main touristy place. A bit further out is Jenolan caves which are fantastic, also Zig Zag railway and if you like driving, the drive out through Windsor and through Kurrajon (nice gardens there) along Bells Line of Road out to Jenolan caves is a long but nice trip. Windsor is a nice town to visit and aparantly has a good market day there, not been to it but its supposed to be good. Not been down south much but The Royal National park is nice.
Oh and another nice drive is up Wisemans ferry road and across the ferry, also Berowra waters is lovely. the Reptile park is just up the F2 aswell. I usually do a round trip of visiting the reptile park by going up the F2 then driving back via Wisemans way, its a nice drive, (no wonder my car is now on 101,000K's!!!). Wisemans Ferry is really nice at sunset!!

there are heaps of places to visit, what we did when we first got here was get a UBD and just drive around to get us used to the different areas, visited all the parks etc marked on the map. By the way we live in Dural which isn't far from Castle Hill!!

Mandy