Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are we being unrealistic??

Are we being unrealistic??

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Are we being unrealistic??

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
When you take into account rent/mortgage, car and living expenses that $3900 turns into nothing very quickly. Rent alone would eat half of it and a mortgage would be even more.
Sorry I can't figure out your how you come to that judgement.

Why don't you break it down to a monthly expense. As others have said it's not a great wage for a family but I don't see your reasoning for a single person.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Sorry I can't figure out your how you come to that judgement.

Why don't you break it down to a monthly expense. As others have said it's not a great wage for a family but I don't see your reasoning for a single person.
That's because everything's so bloody expensive in Australia.

Here's an example for a single person:

1/2 bed flat $1500 per month
Car running cost $200 pm
Travel to work $110 pm
Groceries $600 pm
Other food $200 pm ($10 per day lunch at work)
Mobile phone $100 pm
Internet $90 pm
Entertainment: $1200 pm minimum (this is as a single person mind you with an active social life in Melbourne, and it's a conservative figure)

Total so far is $4000 and we haven't even taken into account things like electricity, gas, credit card or whatever else may come up.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Car running cost $200 pm
Travel to work $110 pm
Groceries $600 pm
Mobile phone $100 pm
Internet $90 pm
Entertainment: $1200 pm minimum (this is as a single person mind you with an active social life in Melbourne, and it's a conservative figure)

Total so far is $4000 and we haven't even taken into account things like electricity, gas, credit card or whatever else may come up.
No doubt that Australia is expensive but if you lived in London I reckon these things on your list would be more expensive:
Flat
car costs
travel to work

Groceries, mobile phone, internet would be cheaper

For the other stuff: some will be cheaper, others more expensive.

Overall COL would be a bit more here, but not by much. UK and Australia are both expensive countries - especially in major cities.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No doubt that Australia is expensive but if you lived in London I reckon these things on your list would be more expensive:
Flat
car costs
travel to work

Groceries, mobile phone, internet would be cheaper

For the other stuff: some will be cheaper, others more expensive.

Overall COL would be a bit more here, but not by much. UK and Australia are both expensive countries - especially in major cities.
I am finding the costs of rentals in Melbourne to be about the same as London and in London, having a car is a really bad idea. Quicker and easier to get the tube.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding the costs of rentals in Melbourne to be about the same as London and in London, having a car is a really bad idea. Quicker and easier to get the tube.
A decent flat in a decent area of London for under GBP1k would be hard to find.

A single, western guy without a car would have to be gay - or at the very least a metrosexual.

Overall COL is similar with Australia a bit more expensive.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

A decent flat in a decent area of London for under GBP1k would be hard to find.

A single, western guy without a car would have to be gay - or at the very least a metrosexual.

I never bothered with a car in London when I lived there and I am definitely not any of those things you described.

In fact, most of the people I knew in London didn't bother with a car either, unless it was provided by the company they worked for.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I never bothered with a car in London when I lived there and I am definitely not any of those things you described.

In fact, most of the people I knew in London didn't bother with a car either, unless it was provided by the company they worked for.
Sure, but then a metrosexual/gay living in central Melbourne would not need a car either.

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sure, but then a metrosexual/gay living in central Melbourne would not need a car either.
But they would if they wanted to go outside of a 3km radius. In Australia it doesn;t matter what your sexuality is, you are gonna need a car. Life in Oz is very difficult without one.

Right now I would say it has swung the other way. Comparing my COL in London to what I pay in Melbourne, well I am paying more in Melb.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Really? How else are they gonna get down to Screech Beach late at night?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Familiar with it are you?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
que?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

But they would if they wanted to go outside of a 3km radius. In Australia it doesn;t matter what your sexuality is, you are gonna need a car. Life in Oz is very difficult without one.

Right now I would say it has swung the other way. Comparing my COL in London to what I pay in Melbourne, well I am paying more in Melb.
I reckon you could get by without a car in Melbourne - but, for me, life without a car is pretty shite wherever you live.

Economies of London and Melbourne are very different at the moment. London is in the grip of recession and Melbourne is not. Now I know that you will have friends in London who are still doing well - I do too. But the fact remains that a lot of people in London are battling, and the costs there are now reflecting this. Basic reality - a LOT of people are moving from London to Melbourne, not so many the other way.

COL is similar with Australia slightly more.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

I reckon you could get by without a car in Melbourne - but, for me, life without a car is pretty shite wherever you live.
Yes, you can get by but it is pretty shit.

Economies of London and Melbourne are very different at the moment. London is in the grip of recession and Melbourne is not. Now I know that you will have friends in London who are still doing well - I do too. But the fact remains that a lot of people in London are battling, and the costs there are now reflecting this. Basic reality - a LOT of people are moving from London to Melbourne, not so many the other way.

COL is similar with Australia slightly more.
Yes, agree. Most of my friends in London say they don't even notice that there is a recession going on. It's as though London has it's own shielded micro-economy. That said though I also know quite a few who are affected by it and the further out from London the worse it gets.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Yes, agree. Most of my friends in London say they don't even notice that there is a recession going on. It's as though London has it's own shielded micro-economy. That said though I also know quite a few who are affected by it and the further out from London the worse it gets.
My friends over there who are still doing okay are having a field day as they still have good incomes, very low interest mortgages and falling prices. Great if you can maintain it but projects are starting to dry up and are not being replaced. As government spending cuts start to bite (have not really started yet) it's going to get interesting.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Car running cost $200 pm
Travel to work $110 pm
Groceries $600 pm
Mobile phone $100 pm
Internet $90 pm

Just goes to show that people are different.

If I was spending like that I would be up to my eyeballs in debt. To me some of these prices are extravagent.

You can get a 4 bedroom house in perth with pool for $1600 pm although why a single person would want such a big house remains to be seen.
Entertainment is a luxury and is not a requirement in living expenses and I'm sure that some of the others listed could be reduced quite a bit.

Each to there own but I would put electricity and gas higher on my priority than entertainment,mobile phone or internet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.