Reload this Page >

Anybody found a job from UK before moving to Aus

Anybody found a job from UK before moving to Aus

Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Dreaming of the sunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody found a job from UK before moving to Aus

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody here managed to find work while still in the UK? We have been granted a PR Visa and really keen to now "get going", but feel irresponsible just up rooting and going with no job lined up! Husband is a senior electronics engineer with management exp so currently has a good job.

We have 2 kids Jnr and Snr school age so it is a lot to consider. We want to live either in Adelaide or The Gold Coast - both appeal to us. One day we think, we will just take the risk and go and then the next day we think....can't do that we need to have work lined up. Obviously my husband has updated his LinkedIn acc and contacted a couple of agencies regarding jobs but we keep being told that we will be ignored until we are in Aus.

It is very early days on the job hunting front so I may just be stressing over nothing.......but any advice, prev experience much appreciated!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody found a job from UK before moving to Aus

Take a career break, rent out your house and suck it and see. It'll either work or it won't. Don't burn any bridges and you should be ok
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you will be ignored until you get to Australia (you keep getting told that because it's true). Most come here without work already lined up. Come out on a visit and speak to hiring managers at companies (not recruitment agencies) to hear what hiring conditions are like in both places. That will give you an idea of what to expect and may push you towards one or the other. Good luck.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Both myself and Mrs Beoz found work in Oz before leaving the UK. Had we not, we would not have moved.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Some people do and I was one. But most have to make the move without finding one.

If you do decide to make the move then I would research where jobs are most likely to be for your occupations. For example, you mention Adelaide, but it has issues with unemployment and with two if its major employers about to close, it may not be the best place. The main job site is seek.com.au
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We upped sticks and moved with two children - 10 and 13 and no jobs. Would I do it again like that, probably not but I think it depends on how much money you are able to bring with you. Don't burn your bridges, keep the house, come out and give it a go but only if you have a decent amount of money to keep you going for at least six months.

Most of us moved over before the GFC and found work even if it wasn't exactly what we wanted. Now I don't think it's quite so easy (not that it was easy for some).
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreaming of the sunshine
Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody here managed to find work while still in the UK? We have been granted a PR Visa and really keen to now "get going", but feel irresponsible just up rooting and going with no job lined up! Husband is a senior electronics engineer with management exp so currently has a good job.

We have 2 kids Jnr and Snr school age so it is a lot to consider. We want to live either in Adelaide or The Gold Coast - both appeal to us. One day we think, we will just take the risk and go and then the next day we think....can't do that we need to have work lined up. Obviously my husband has updated his LinkedIn acc and contacted a couple of agencies regarding jobs but we keep being told that we will be ignored until we are in Aus.

It is very early days on the job hunting front so I may just be stressing over nothing.......but any advice, prev experience much appreciated!
Why not just apply for jobs directly? My OH received a job offer before we left - he applied for a few directly via www.seek.com.au - He was offered a skype interview and offered role a few days later. It's not impossible however does obviously depend on job market / closer candidate pool and willingness for interviewer to not carry out face to face interviews. Make your cv short, to the point and very clear up the top of the page you have a PR visa.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose it also depends on your job sector I managed it twice. The first time I had to fly to Brisbane for interview and the second Skype interview for job in Adelaide. Both times I applied for the jobs online from the UK. It is doable,for me I wanted to secure work before I went because I just wouldn't have had the funds to keep me going.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Both myself and my OH did not have any jobs to go to when we arrived in Perth WA, it took us a while to obtain the types of jobs we wanted but we did get there in the end. we both left good jobs, home etc in the UK as with most migrants it is a risk but it all depends on how much you want to start a different life overseas. I would firstly (as others have advised) look at the states where your job skills are required then do your homework ie can you actually afford to live in/near the areas your job skills are required are the schools good which is especially important for your snr child (what age is snr child if you do not mind me asking?) or you can just go for it (as we did lol) and make it work. Good luck