Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning when travelling with Emirates!

warning when travelling with Emirates!

Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warning when travelling with Emirates!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hellish airline, would rather swim!

The one time I flew with them they were havng problems with a gentleman of arabic appearance who had a computer. Yep, a desktop computer, both hard-drive tower and monitor (in the days before flat-screns), and wanted it all to go on as hand luggage. He was at the gate arguing with the boarding crew. Their main point was "you can't take it cos even if you get it in the locker it could fall on someone's head. His reply centred around the argument that he could put it in the aisle if there wasn't a spare seat.

According to the airline world a lot of the probelms with luggage are down to the culture of the country that provides the majority of passnegers. With AEmirates they have passengers who are unused to hearing the word "NO" and who like to buy Western electrical stuff to take home with them. I have friends who are airline crew and they say that excess hand luggage is a more serious issue for Emirates than for many other airlines.
(been away from BE's for quite a while, come back and there's Poll's, the one time I flew with Emirates again) FWIW, I've done UK-Oz with Emirates must be 10 times now without a single problem, but obviously people have different experiences and view things differently. I like Dubai airport, esp Duty Free having used it nearly 20 times. I would have thought the answer to the hand luggage problem is obvious (just in case no one has pointed it out). You wear those trousers with a dozen pockets and stuff them, making sure your bag has < 7 kgs and when on the other side you put everything back into the bag. Doesn't everyone do that now?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Both Melbourne and Auckland airport have non-airline staff now checking the weight (very strictly I might add) as you walk through to the departure gates. If overweight they send you back to the check-in desks to sort it out.

Regardless of the airline, this has happened to me on Qantas, Emirates and Air New Zealand.

Very annoying for frequent flyers like myself who only take a carry on bag, the bag + suit + shoes + chargers etc is impossible to get under 7kg (think the bag itself is probably 2-3kg)
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:13 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

There was a very grateful garbage attendant at Manchester airport when i had to ditch items over 40 kg @ 35-00 per kilo.

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 4:32 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

This is one of my pet hates with air travel.

I think that the weight allowance should be for both you and your luggage.
If someone were to point out that I was 2 kg over the baggage allowance and then tried to charge me £35 a kg for it, I would have to point out an overweight person in the que and ask the check in person if they will be charging them £35 a kg for every kg they are over my weight.

If I weigh 12 stone and go over my limit by 1kg surely that isn't worse than someone who weighs 20 stone and is bang on the 20kg limit.

Thiswas not meant in anyway to offend people and I am sorry if it has.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rick C
This is one of my pet hates with air travel.

I think that the weight allowance should be for both you and your luggage.
If someone were to point out that I was 2 kg over the baggage allowance and then tried to charge me £35 a kg for it, I would have to point out an overweight person in the que and ask the check in person if they will be charging them £35 a kg for every kg they are over my weight.

If I weigh 12 stone and go over my limit by 1kg surely that isn't worse than someone who weighs 20 stone and is bang on the 20kg limit.

Thiswas not meant in anyway to offend people and I am sorry if it has.

I note your message wasnt intended to offend anyone, and my message too, isnt intended to offend anyone.

I whole heartedly agree with you!

An airline once told me that luggage restrictions are for passenger safety - so the plane doesnt come down mid flight!! -

If that was the case then they should take the gross weight. Weigh all passengers, and all luggage. Only that way will they be able to calculate whether a plane wont be able to take off cause its too heavy (or will fall down mid flight!).

Stupid, the whole world is stupid. [but not DIAC, they are great and im sure they are doing a grand job granting our visas]
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
I note your message wasnt intended to offend anyone, and my message too, isnt intended to offend anyone.

I whole heartedly agree with you!

An airline once told me that luggage restrictions are for passenger safety - so the plane doesnt come down mid flight!! -

If that was the case then they should take the gross weight. Weigh all passengers, and all luggage. Only that way will they be able to calculate whether a plane wont be able to take off cause its too heavy (or will fall down mid flight!).

Stupid, the whole world is stupid. [but not DIAC, they are great and im sure they are doing a grand job granting our visas]
Just as a bit of trivia in relation to this - in the USA they actually work on a higher "standard passenger weight" than in Europe - apparently its all done on averages, and the average there in higher. (Don't know about Aus, this came from a pilot operating Europe-USA). Also, if a flight is carrying a large number of American football players (for example) then figure used for the weight of passengers is increased, as they are known to be heavier.

Main problem with weighing individual passengers and then calculating weight and balance for the flight from that, is that the problem of working out how much fuel could be carried, and it would probably result in longer check-in times, and more delays because of the later start in fuelling.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 24th 2008 at 12:42 am.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Flown with many different airlines and Emirates the only one where my camera bag was pulled for being overweight.

So the PC went in the hold luggage (company one, so no worries there!). 3kg over....will try the baggy jacket routine next time...

Bloody annoying, there were 3 check-in attendants and only one checking weight of carry-on.....so I and my family shall be voting with their feet......and Emirates have lost 4 customers permanently
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:53 pm
Good luck to all

Wez and Chris is a jewel in the roughWez and Chris is a jewel in the roughWez and Chris is a jewel in the roughWez and Chris is a jewel in the rough

Maybe emirates are monopolosing on their situe as I flew with them 2005 and 2006 and the were the cheapest most direct (only airline that flies direct from Glasgow) and very good at what they do.

However in saying that I have just looked up prices as we are possibly looking to emigrate Dec 2008 early 2009 and they are the most expensive so I can maybe understand their handluggage price going up if their flights are anything to go by I was shocked.:curse:

Although in saying that as I would be flying directly from Glasgow as every other airline has to change at London for the extra money that they charge the fact that we would only change at Dubai ie 1 stop it would probably still be worth it as travelling with 2 wee ones
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We flew from Heathrow to Singapore and then on to Brisbane with Singapore airlines last week. We only had 20kg each as we came over earlier in the year to validate. Our cases were just over the 100kg in total (5 of us) probably around 110kg. But we really had to load up our hand luggage (mine was 12kg alone!). We had no problems whatsoever no one asked to weigh these bags and there was no mention of paying for the extra 10kg in our luggage. So therefore I would recommend Singapore airlines every time, (have now flow to Oz 3 times with them). Also if flying with them would try and get a flight on the Airbus A380 (seems like a bit more leg room, is slightly wider seat, over 10 inch screen and on demand movies etc, also much smoother and quieter than 747).
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
Hi
We flew from Heathrow to Singapore and then on to Brisbane with Singapore airlines last week. We only had 20kg each as we came over earlier in the year to validate. Our cases were just over the 100kg in total (5 of us) probably around 110kg. But we really had to load up our hand luggage (mine was 12kg alone!). We had no problems whatsoever no one asked to weigh these bags and there was no mention of paying for the extra 10kg in our luggage. So therefore I would recommend Singapore airlines every time, (have now flow to Oz 3 times with them). Also if flying with them would try and get a flight on the Airbus A380 (seems like a bit more leg room, is slightly wider seat, over 10 inch screen and on demand movies etc, also much smoother and quieter than 747).

GREAT we are going with them on the a380 in 3 weeks Cannot wait...
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wez and Chris
Maybe emirates are monopolosing on their situe as I flew with them 2005 and 2006 and the were the cheapest most direct (only airline that flies direct from Glasgow) and very good at what they do.

However in saying that I have just looked up prices as we are possibly looking to emigrate Dec 2008 early 2009 and they are the most expensive so I can maybe understand their handluggage price going up if their flights are anything to go by I was shocked.:curse:

Although in saying that as I would be flying directly from Glasgow as every other airline has to change at London for the extra money that they charge the fact that we would only change at Dubai ie 1 stop it would probably still be worth it as travelling with 2 wee ones
Yeah, we flew out last Christmas and got a deal in Feb 07 for Dec 07, but prices went mental the following month........would not be surprised if it is the same this year.

We have a 5 year old and 3 year old, both wee psychos. BUT they know how to sleep on a plane, so connections not a problem (might stop off anyways)

At the end of the day we will be going over with a bucket of stuff, and there is no way the seriously expensive stuff is leaving my person or my wifes to be put in a hold. Cue a rant about BA......
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:23 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

If you are allowed 20kg per person & only take 2 suitcases between 5 of you are the weigh restrictions of your cases max 20kg each or can they be heavier? Our hire car will only hold 2 cases so are limited. We just wanted to cram everything into the 2!!!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tawkins1
If you are allowed 20kg per person & only take 2 suitcases between 5 of you are the weigh restrictions of your cases max 20kg each or can they be heavier? Our hire car will only hold 2 cases so are limited. We just wanted to cram everything into the 2!!!
Best check the conditions from your airline - know the max weight of a case has come down over recent years - cheaper to get a bigger car, rather than pay excess?

Or take a couple of extra bags that would fit down footwell, if you have small kids?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:47 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Twinset
Best check the conditions from your airline - know the max weight of a case has come down over recent years - cheaper to get a bigger car, rather than pay excess?

Or take a couple of extra bags that would fit down footwell, if you have small kids?
Thanks for that
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
No one item is allowed to be more than 32kgs. Thats for Health and Safety reasons, and is internationally recognised.
Individual airlines may have different rules with lower weights, but 32kgs is the real upper limit. No airline can allow a bag heavier than this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.