Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Originally Posted by cresta57
As for the driving, well do a search on Aussie drivers, to describe standards as appalling would be an understatement.
I once felt exactly the same as you guys do, now, having had a couple of melanomas cut out I can't wait for some cloud & rain.
In the U.K I always slept with the window open I like a cool room to sleep in. Here in Summer you can't even get dry after a shower & lay wet & sweaty all night. Sometimes it's one extreme to another Hence the fishing from 4-8 it's simply to hot to be out there after that.
My post wasn't a comment on the standards of driving but the conditions I have had to commute in. To be honest, with the number of expats in Oz from a variety of countries it is highly likely that a good proportion of those drivers are non-Australian. I am making this assumption based on how unlikely it is that you stopped them all and checked. Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Its obvious from your next comment that you like cooler weather and that the heat therefore has a more negative effect upon you. This is personal to you and may not have as extreme an effect on others. Not to say not an effect at all but maybe not bother them as much. LikeI said earlier, they won't know until they try.

A final note, you last point has argued my case for me to a certain degree in that at least you had the option to go at a different time of day. Here at the moment there is no opportunity at all and the dreary summer we had was not much better.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Si T
Apologies, the comment about sitting at home picking holes in people wasn't aimed at you in particular. It was a generalisation that there are a people out there who do so from the comfort of their armchairs simply because they don't have the courage to do it themselves. I should have made it clearer.
It's not a courage thing, it's a common sense thing. Given that a lot of people are moving because they want to get out more, pointing out that a spot of rain is quite harmless as opposed to a U.V danger of 15.5 & the massive increase in the likelihood of a skin cancer forming where you neglected to rub enough factor 30 on just the once That is advice that's given for free & ignored in pursuit of a better life. I loathe the feel of factor 30 yet it's a necessity even at 6am

The driver thing is really a no brainer once your here. Within a week or so you'll learn to spot the piss poor Australian driver. They are a breed of their own, they usually drive a Holden or a Ford V8 wear a baseball cap backwards & have a bumper sticker that says "F**k Off Were full" [no apostrophe] They also tend to drive Hyundai Accents & have to have their fog lamps on during the day. They use the outside lane of the highway as a normal single lane & the inside lane is not to be used unless about to leave at the next junction when they then swerve from the "fast" lane across the middle aged Volvo drivers lane & into the near side lane with 200 metres to spare without using an indicator & despite the fact they make the same journey everyday.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its obvious from your next comment that you like cooler weather and that the heat therefore has a more negative effect upon you. This is personal to you and may not have as extreme an effect on others. Not to say not an effect at all but maybe not bother them as much. LikeI said earlier, they won't know until they try.

A final note, you last point has argued my case for me to a certain degree in that at least you had the option to go at a different time of day. Here at the moment there is no opportunity at all and the dreary summer we had was not much better.
The aus climate is hard to understand till you have lived it. Its not 24c and picnic weather. Its extreme.

The reality of UV levels of 15 hit with the first melanoma.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

It's not a courage thing, it's a common sense thing. Given that a lot of people are moving because they want to get out more, pointing out that a spot of rain is quite harmless as opposed to a U.V danger of 15.5 & the massive increase in the likelihood of a skin cancer forming where you neglected to rub enough factor 30 on just the once That is advice that's given for free & ignored in pursuit of a better life. I loathe the feel of factor 30 yet it's a necessity even at 6am

The driver thing is really a no brainer once your here. Within a week or so you'll learn to spot the piss poor Australian driver. They are a breed of their own, they usually drive a Holden or a Ford V8 wear a baseball cap backwards & have a bumper sticker that says "F**k Off Were full" [no apostrophe] They also tend to drive Hyundai Accents & have to have their fog lamps on during the day. They use the outside lane of the highway as a normal single lane & the inside lane is not to be used unless about to leave at the next junction when they then swerve from the "fast" lane across the middle aged Volvo drivers lane & into the near side lane with 200 metres to spare without using an indicator & despite the fact they make the same journey everyday.
You have obviously never spent an hour on the M4 between Swansea and cardiff then.

Again, the comment regarding the internet was not aimed at you and in my opinion your points are more than valid but not enough to put off people like myself who wish to "give it a try". The skin cancer issue wasn't the point of my "personal to you comment", sleeping with the window open in the UK because you like it cooler was. It wasn't criticism, simply trying to point out that what suits you may not suit others.

In "my opinion" there are a good number of people who pick holes in others because they do not have the courage to put their heads above the parapet. It is not specific to this thread, but a simple observation of human nature.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The aus climate is hard to understand till you have lived it. Its not 24c and picnic weather. Its extreme.

The reality of UV levels of 15 hit with the first melanoma.
Please see my response to Cresta above
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You have obviously never spent an hour on the M4 between Swansea and cardiff then.

Again, the comment regarding the internet was not aimed at you and in my opinion your points are more than valid but not enough to put off people like myself who wish to "give it a try". The skin cancer issue wasn't the point of my "personal to you comment", sleeping with the window open in the UK because you like it cooler was. It wasn't criticism, simply trying to point out that what suits you may not suit others.

In "my opinion" there are a good number of people who pick holes in others because they do not have the courage to put their heads above the parapet. It is not specific to this thread, but a simple observation of human nature.
I've spent many a time on that road, rellies in Super Ely [shudders]
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:39 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I am still amazed that some will swear blind that Aussie drivers are at least as good as British drivers As you say once you are here it soon becomes very clear there was little training involved in them getting their license. I find the best way to get anywhere on the freeway here is sit in the left lane as no-one else uses it.

Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed at the number of people here who DON'T put sunblock on themselves or their kids.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I'm amazed at the number of people here who DON'T put sunblock on themselves or their kids.
I loathe the stuff as I've said previously. When I go out in the kayak I wear a long sleeved fishing shirt, gloves, long pants tucked into wet suit booties & a hat that wraps around my face & neck, all are rated SPF 50+. The only exposed skin is my nose & part of my face they get a liberal coating of factor 30 on the hour, if I know I'm going I also don't shave for the week prior. I've had two melanomas cut out of me already from missing bits when applying sunblock. I've long since given up wearing shorts & teeshirts. It's hot as hell sometimes so as I carry a bailer I douse myself in seawater if it gets too warm lol.
The weather didn't stop me fishing, hiking, sailing or climbing in the U.K either I just bought the appropriate clothing. It's crap to say the rain stops you from venturing out, apathy stops that, same as it will in the heat once in Aust. I noticed BC's post earlier about waterproof kids; I used to take a party of Scouts & Venture Scouts up into the Cleveland Hills every Winter for about 6 years in the mid to late 1980's. We used to run a joint exercise with the Mountain Rescue & the RADAR dogs where kids would be tasked with hiding out in the snow for the dogs to find them. We also did orienteering races on the hills beside the Cpt.Cook Monument [Rosebery Topping??]
They were certainly waterproof back then, they even walked to school
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

From what you've said twice now it reads that you got melanomas from missing the factor 30 once?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

They were certainly waterproof back then, they even walked to school
Good god! That's tantamount to child abuse!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
From what you've said twice now it reads that you got melanomas from missing the factor 30 once?
So the advert on TV says.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
So the advert on TV says.
Is that not a bit over the top?

Obviously not to ignore repeatedly..

Last edited by Tramps_mate; Jan 7th 2012 at 8:11 am.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Is that not a bit over the top?

Obviously not to ignore repeatedly..
Why would it be over the top?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Saying just once is bad enough.. Is it that bad?

Never had these sun issues in sunny Liverpool!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.