Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:55 am
Just Joined

WOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant futureWOMBATGIRL has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wanted Down Under...incase you missed it...

Oh right, thought it would be something like that (everyone says IT is in demand but it's never the sort of IT my husband does - sometimes we feel like he's the only person in the world doing what he does!). We've seen quite a few jobs on Seek that he could do, which is why we were surprised by what his contact on his IT forum said, but I guess seeing jobs available is one thing - they could be filled really quickly, and presumably by natives before foreigners (which I understand, it's only fair).

But if you have any other IT websites other than Seek, I'd appreciate hearing about them anyway please - thanks
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:15 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by legion11
For all you lucky people who are already in OZ and for some strange reason want to watch all us UK dreamers hoping to move down under.....

Anyway why not install Hotspot Shield & watch the program on the BBC iPlayer, or any other program on itv or channel 4 for that matter..

Its a VPN which basically means it can hide where you are coming from..

BTW this isnt a plug or spam or anything like that. I use this to watch shows from the USA online, its the same thing with most of their sites, you have to be a resident of the US.

Hope it works for you all

Cheers

Wayne

Bye the way, if your not comfortable clicking on the forum link (which is understandable) just Google hotspot shield and enjoy.

P.S it's not actually supposed to be used for that BTW
just tried this. it didn't work.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Hi all

Just watched the beginning of the Adelaide one.... LMAO

Ok having lived there recently first of all let me tell you that I would not call the Adelaide Hills the countryside of SA!! If you want the countryside then I suggest Parachillna with a population of 5. Now that's country!!! lol It's also only 20 mins from the CBD or metro and although it's beautiful and spacious and has lots of land and trees it not what I imagine the natives would call the country. It is gorgeous however and I'm considering buying in that area.

The city is lovely and the CBD being only 2km squared makes it quite easy to get around but its not miles away from the coast. Infact it take 30 mins on a tram to get into the CBD from the beach at Glenelg.

They made me think that Adelaide was enormous and all of these places were really far away from each other. What you have to remember is that OZ is ENORMOUS and 30/40 mins to get somewhere is pretty routine. At least it was for me and although that might seem horendous it's completly different to 30/40 mins here

I love Aelaide though so I'm being biased and I can't wait to get back. As for the person who said it was stuck in the 50s with no job prospects... there were plenty of opportunities for me as a trainer and teacher. So I can't complain about that either. Also lots of work in IT for hubby

If anyone wants any help with Adelaide, let me know. As usual always happy to help or meet you in the pub. I'm near Redditch, Birmingham and Stratford
Absolutely agree with you there.

I travel 50km every day to work and back....about 30 miles. I wouldn't have dreamed of looking that far away in the UK. I thought 5 or 6 was too far there

No problems with work for me and my OH either

Good luck with your move back, if you need anything let us know and I'll do what I can
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I do not want to "have a go" at anyone personally but here are my thoughts on Immigrating.

First off Australia and Britain are not the same place we may speak the same language (well some of us some of the time lol) and we may be similar in some ways but they are totally different. Different climate, views on life, jobs, wages, houses etc.

As for housing if you live in, for example, a rural part of the North of England and try and move to the centre of Melbourne you will not get the same for your money. Even my husband says "oh you wouldn't get a house like that in Sydney for that price" too right you wouldn't because it is getting the same in London as well. So please for your own sake do some research on house prices before you move. Also the type of houses you buy/rent in Australia will be different and generally there is more land so one level house are more popular in some areas.

I can't comment on anyone's choices and I am sure it is the editing but the people on these shows seem to go to Australia with there eyes closed.

Also as for jobs I know people have to make a sensible move with regards to employment but if you are just moving to earn more money then generally Australia is not really the place to do it. I can honestly say (from my experience only) that the cost of living in the UK is better.

Please I beg you move with your head more than your heart and think of the reasons you are moving before you go.

I hope no one takes offence by what I have said it is just my experiences/thoughts
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I do not want to "have a go" at anyone personally but here are my thoughts on Immigrating.

First off Australia and Britain are not the same place we may speak the same language (well some of us some of the time lol) and we may be similar in some ways but they are totally different. Different climate, views on life, jobs, wages, houses etc.

As for housing if you live in, for example, a rural part of the North of England and try and move to the centre of Melbourne you will not get the same for your money. Even my husband says "oh you wouldn't get a house like that in Sydney for that price" too right you wouldn't because it is getting the same in London as well. So please for your own sake do some research on house prices before you move. Also the type of houses you buy/rent in Australia will be different and generally there is more land so one level house are more popular in some areas.

I can't comment on anyone's choices and I am sure it is the editing but the people on these shows seem to go to Australia with there eyes closed.

Also as for jobs I know people have to make a sensible move with regards to employment but if you are just moving to earn more money then generally Australia is not really the place to do it. I can honestly say (from my experience only) that the cost of living in the UK is better.

Please I beg you move with your head more than your heart and think of the reasons you are moving before you go.

I hope no one takes offence by what I have said it is just my experiences/thoughts
I think it's mostly just the TV company editing and although I watch the programmes they are maddening. Why pick rural people and whack them in a city and show them housing they can't afford and doesn't suit them. The presenter is better this time but everything is so negative it's like it's done to put you off or add drama or both
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by markallwood
just tried this. it didn't work.
This will never work as you cannot choose a UK IP address.

See my other post regarding TheBox for the best way to watch UK TV in Australia.

Regarding the previous post I think Nadia was a much better presenter the last two series but then the people also had more idea of what it was all about. The researchers haven't done a very good job so far this series.

Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brisbanebound
they always seem to show them houses that are way out of their price range , it is so annoying
Which is in fact , the TV pseudo-reality of the situation, House prices in Oz are cooked, in exactly the same way as the rest of the world (UK, US and so forth).

The alternative is to show the actual non TV reality of the situation, which would put the family outside the city, nowhere near the beach, nowhere near the country, in a faceless mac-mansion suburb with social problems simmering just a millimeter or two beneath the surface.

Wanted down under is a joke show.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seanpears99
They should rename it "Holiday Wanted Down Under"

People are so naive, decorator on 25k a year expects to find a new build property in Sydney with pool.

When can we see some genuine people who have researched and actually want to go?

hi

we applied to go on this show..we got all the way through to the telephone interviews and when the bloke found out thatwe were all prepared, got everything sorted, new where we wante to go and was very tight with our budget,...and the main one...WE BOTH WANTED TO GO...so there was no conflict or family sagas...they didnt want to know.

it is all a croc....we are here now ..without the help of the programme and love it!

debbie
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's postcard TV - watch it with the sound on mute. Ever since they started this bullshit series, it's been ludicrously over-simplified rubbish. My favourite moment was when a family looking to move to Sydney were taken up in a light airplane for a tour of the harbour so that they could 'get a taste of the lifestyle'. Oh yea, every evening you'll find me and thousands of others circling Darling Harbour in Cessnas. Honestly, what a crock.

Everything about the show is dumbed down, from the painfully low budget twiddling of the dog-eared Oz/UK cards, to the houses they always show 'em that are at least 150k over their budget, to the pointless job trial. And as for the tear-jerking videos from home - if you miss your family that much after two weeks then you shouldn't be moving post codes, let alone hemispheres.

You want to learn about Aussies watch The Castle, The Dish, Rabbit Proof Fence, Strickly Ballroom and Ten Canoes. You want to learn about Australian property, point your browser at realestate.com.au and if you want to find out about Australian jobs, have a look on jobsjobsjobs.com.au and seek.com.au.

Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Jenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura aboutJenny Hughes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Wanted Down Under - New Series 2009

G'day

Wanted Down Under Jan 09 IS a New Series and my family and I are on the episode screened BBC1 Mon 12 Jan @ 9.15am.

What an opportunity!! We all had an amazing chance of a once in a lifetime experience. Watch it and you'll see.

We would love to hear from any of the other families (past or present) who had the same chance as us to keep in touch and share our experiences.

We've made some really great new Aussie mates.

Let us know what you think.

Enjoy!!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's postcard TV - watch it with the sound on mute. Ever since they started this bullshit series, it's been ludicrously over-simplified rubbish. My favourite moment was when a family looking to move to Sydney were taken up in a light airplane for a tour of the harbour so that they could 'get a taste of the lifestyle'. Oh yea, every evening you'll find me and thousands of others circling Darling Harbour in Cessnas. Honestly, what a crock.
:
what episode was that then (the thge cessna's round darling harbour ) ? last year ?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny Hughes
Wanted Down Under Jan 09 IS a New Series and my family and I are on the episode screened BBC1 Mon 12 Jan @ 9.15am.
Glad you had fun ... but it sure as hell ain't new... it's been running for three years now. Previous two seasons with Nadia Sawahla.

Originally Posted by deryans
what episode was that then (the thge cessna's round darling harbour ) ? last year ?
Yea - last year. Was pissing myself laughing when I saw it. The whole show's a joke.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

wannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nice

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
For those of us who can't watch bbc i player, what did he have against him?
if you 'google' 'wanted down under' the bbc website comes up (2nd one down) where you can view episodes. i watched them when i recently validated my visa. hope this helps.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:44 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - New Series 2009

G'day

What an opportunity!! We all had an amazing chance of a once in a lifetime experience. Watch it and you'll see.

We would love to hear from any of the other families (past or present) who had the same chance as us to keep in touch and share our experiences.

Enjoy!!
Looking forward to seeing that episode :-)

Can you relate to some of the posts here about the reality of moving to and living in Oz versus how the program portrays things?

- CDM
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nice
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - New Series 2009

G'day

Enjoy!!
look forward to watching your episode Jenny as were not too far awy from you in Sunny Wigan!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.