British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Wanted Down Under 2010 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/wanted-down-under-2010-a-646607/)

Robw4 Jul 1st 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Wanted Down Under

Does that mean it is too late to send in an application? :(

sportsendurance Jul 1st 2009 8:17 pm

No idea mate. I would send it in anyway. Sorry I can't give you any contact numbers etc but I've just received a letter of confidentiality etc.
Best of luck though

aussiedreamer Aug 11th 2009 9:14 pm

Hi Sports endurance, have you filmed yet or are you about to leave for filming. I'm sure they will have filmed you in the UK by now. We have just finished our revisited and had a ball with the crew. Great guys and yes they do have a vision in their head before filming you just have to accept they will edit the way they want. Who's your crew?

Just enjoy it, use any spare opportunity you have to gleen info about the move the life and what you can expect etc

Jane

sportsendurance Sep 7th 2009 8:20 pm

Well boys and girls we have just returned from our time Down Under with the BBC. Verdict is that some things were brill and most of the rest was even better!! We all had a great time but I wanted to inform any potential applicants that don't think of the experience as being a holiday - I promise you it definitely is not and be expected to work between 8.30 and 5.30 every day. I can't tell you much about what happened and what was said but we have made some very good friends and we did get a good idea of what to expect. I found:
food more expensive than UK, private health care almost as much as Council Tax and clothing both expensive, less varried and often of poor quality. I can't really say much about houses, jobs and general life style for obvious reasons.

seayork2002 Sep 7th 2009 8:25 pm

Can I ask if you did research before you went on houses, jobs etc as on the shows it appears that no participants do any? I am just wondering if it is the editing.

Originally Posted by sportsendurance (Post 7912057)
Well boys and girls we have just returned from our time Down Under with the BBC. Verdict is that some things were brill and most of the rest was even better!! We all had a great time but I wanted to inform any potential applicants that don't think of the experience as being a holiday - I promise you it definitely is not and be expected to work between 8.30 and 5.30 every day. I can't tell you much about what happened and what was said but we have made some very good friends and we did get a good idea of what to expect. I found:
food more expensive than UK, private health care almost as much as Council Tax and clothing both expensive, less varried and often of poor quality. I can't really say much about houses, jobs and general life style for obvious reasons.

sportsendurance Sep 7th 2009 8:42 pm

Yes, I did a great deal of research and I was not surprised at anything apart from what I saw at my potential work place - can't explain yet why but it was a pleasant surprise, in fact it was bloody amazing!
and yes I do believe it is the editing or even perhaps how people have been asked to respond (exageration!!). Remember you are often asked the same question a number of times and in different situations so they can choose how and what to present. We had a great film crew who obviously need to sell an interesting programme but also to a certain extent have your feelings and priorities at heart - hopefully!1
I think they may struggle for people applying for NZ as oppsed to Aus! I understand about 20 places are given out of 13000 applicants.

myrtle1 Sep 7th 2009 9:06 pm

Wow - how exciting - look forward to watching your antics!!!!

Hope you had a great experience !

paulandcelia Sep 7th 2009 10:14 pm

Did they tell you when the new series is going to be aired? will look out for it especially as your heading to perth

Robw4 Sep 7th 2009 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by paulandcelia (Post 7912251)
Did they tell you when the new series is going to be aired? will look out for it especially as your heading to perth

Thanks for the info, sounds interesting! :)

morrisj3 Sep 8th 2009 8:53 am

Glad it all went well. Will look out for the "old git/beautiful lady" programme with interest!

Jen1977ni Nov 1st 2009 3:44 pm

Anyone know when the new series is starting and on which channel!?

garyp Nov 1st 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Jen,

Usually January on BBC1 when everyone is depressed after christmas and feel even more suicidal after watching programme thinking I wish I lived there rather than the UK:)
Gary

Jen1977ni Nov 1st 2009 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by garyp (Post 8062224)
Hi Jen,

Usually January on BBC1 when everyone is depressed after christmas and feel even more suicidal after watching programme thinking I wish I lived there rather than the UK:)
Gary

Ahhhh bugger, might miss it as we'll maybe have already moved by then! Shame lol :lol:

garyp Nov 1st 2009 4:38 pm

heard the good news jen. bet you cant wait.
where abouts in Queensland you going?

Jen1977ni Nov 1st 2009 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by garyp (Post 8062295)
heard the good news jen. bet you cant wait.
where abouts in Queensland you going?

Inland from Brisvegas, near a place called Toowoomba, hows ur application going? (Oh and thanku!) :)