Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under 2010

Wanted Down Under 2010

Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Before we went over with the crew I spent about 18 months researching a wide range of things, including asking many questions from you folkes. I decided before applying that my perceptions about houses would have to be different than those in the UK because it's very much about the outdoors not the indoor living - hopefully!
I had a good idea about prices although still needed reassuring about food prices, work attitudes and general accessibility to a range of amenities.
The whole opportunity I must admit confirmed very much what I already knew whereas my wife, who took very little interest in my research learned quite a lot.
I would never criticize others on the WDU programme because not only would it be totally unfair but the editing of such a programme may hide certain realities / truths. However, it does surprise me when they are extremely disappointed and surprised about such basic things as wages and have your mind changed because of the family and friends video - surely you think about this beforehand??
I leave myself open to ridicule!!!
As long as you don't allow your kids to make the decision and at the friends and family bit go wow now i've seen that I can't do this I think you'll be fine !!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I found the hardest thing about dealing with the F&F video was how much it may be hurting my wife and whether I was doing the right thing. I hold huge admiration for for my wife once again in how she copes with difficult situations. I think the F&F video is good for the family to watch and I do hear others closer to home say it's one of the best parts of the programme! Personal preference I suppose
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

It would be interesting if they showed the F&F video at the start or second day as opposed to near the final day.

The way the programme is structured seems to be along the lines of:

Shock the family about house/living prices and job prospects

Show them a great outdoor life and expat community

And then tug the heartstrings with the F&F video.

Whereas if the F&F was put the front of the queue then the family may be able to process the whole situation better.

As for the kids deciding...expect blowback when they become teenagers
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I only saw 2 episodes of the show while in the UK, it was enough

One was Darwin, filmed in winter of course the job on a building site, no mention of the hellish like heat humidity you would experience on site most of the year, just the wonderful views I mean really, most aussie tradies cant hack Darwin weather.

Thought the aussie living costs were underestimated, even though the couples did find them expensive, I mean internet in oz for 10 a month

Also why do the couples look at houses so much more than their UK ones, its like heres one you cant have
Hee hee...I saw the Darwin one too. They did mention cyclones, as in if you're very unlucky you might have to take cover once very couple of years....the wet season didn't get much of a mention...although I think one of the families they met in the park did state that they spend most of it indoors (shock horror! ).

My understanding is that a lot of construction work stops during the wet...that certainly wasn't mentioned.

Also noticed the $10 internet....hmmmmmm.....dial-up maybe???

From the 2 episodes I have seen WDU certainly has portrayed an Aus is expensive message though...more so than previous episodes I have seen. And having just spent 2 weeks in the UK I'd say it's an accurate comparison....comparing like for like the UK is undoubtedly cheaper in I would say most areas - even using a far higher exchange rate - no point comparing a special offer price on bread in Aus with the standard price in the UK! Compare the special with a BOGOF maybe.

The Australian house prices certainly shocked the people I was watching the show with too....and beside the tarted up showhome variety most of the houses are pretty naff....a lot of the people seem to have nicer, albeit smaller houses in the UK.

Personally from what I saw I thought WDU was getting a bit more realistic.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many viewers have given up on their "dream" based on what they have seen on WDU?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

From the 2 episodes I have seen WDU certainly has portrayed an Aus is expensive message though...more so than previous episodes I have seen. And having just spent 2 weeks in the UK I'd say it's an accurate comparison....comparing like for like the UK is undoubtedly cheaper in I would say most areas - even using a far higher exchange rate - no point comparing a special offer price on bread in Aus with the standard price in the UK! Compare the special with a BOGOF maybe.

The Australian house prices certainly shocked the people I was watching the show with too....and beside the tarted up showhome variety most of the houses are pretty naff....a lot of the people seem to have nicer, albeit smaller houses in the UK.
Yes its good they now give some indication of how expensive australia is.

We were over for 6 weeks and even at the end still gawping at how much cheaper UK is. Not just food and shopping, Partner seemed to think cars were cheap too, kids though any tech stuff was way cheaper and more advanced to boot. Bro was having dental work done, private care, he had a crown done, even that was half the flipping price we pay.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:48 am
Just Joined

cgreen will become famous soon enoughcgreen will become famous soon enough

Watched WDU today and I would like to know where they get their finances on everyday living? I am from Brisbane and my family still live there. They have a large house and it does NOT cost almost the equivalent of £500 a month for AIRCON running costs. You would have to be running it in every room 24/7. I definitely agree that costs in Australia for basics have soared and am not disputing that. Maybe I am wrong and my parents are are just stingy with the AIRCON. I assume they are basing those figures on ducted systems.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cgreen
Watched WDU today and I would like to know where they get their finances on everyday living? I am from Brisbane and my family still live there. They have a large house and it does NOT cost almost the equivalent of £500 a month for AIRCON running costs. You would have to be running it in every room 24/7. I definitely agree that costs in Australia for basics have soared and am not disputing that. Maybe I am wrong and my parents are are just stingy with the AIRCON. I assume they are basing those figures on ducted systems.
http://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au...appliances.pdf

...estimates upto $100 a month for 4 hours per day reverse cycle a/c for a whole 150 m2 home. WDU house is probably more like 250m2 so say $165 a month. You really would have to run it 24 hours a day to approach £500.

Even in Brisbane whole house cooling is unneccesary...personally I think you only need a/c in the bedroom and even then only maybe 4 months a year tops.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Bizarre family today....
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I think Leedelta has a good point about the F&F part of the show. However, if it was placed at the beginning of the week, it could encourage those who are reluctant to make the move, to remain even further closed minded for the rest of the week!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
I think Leedelta has a good point about the F&F part of the show. However, if it was placed at the beginning of the week, it could encourage those who are reluctant to make the move, to remain even further closed minded for the rest of the week!
I think the BBC should re-name it 'We DON'T want you to go down under'
LOL
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JenJen
I think the BBC should re-name it 'We DON'T want you to go down under'
LOL
Or "Go down under and become estranged from folks back home."

How did todays episode end, I had to defrost a car and missed the finale

A friend asked me "Are you going to Oz for a holiday or for penal servitude?" then followed it up with "Marry an Australian girl because we need an excuse for a holiday"
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Or "Go down under and become estranged from folks back home."

How did todays episode end, I had to defrost a car and missed the finale

A friend asked me "Are you going to Oz for a holiday or for penal servitude?" then followed it up with "Marry an Australian girl because we need an excuse for a holiday"
Errr oddly enough they decided Australia, I have to say I couldn't have been more shocked by that result.
I did find the camping bit strange to say the least, they were camping in an Aussie winter but openly admit when the weather is bad in the UK they don't go on holiday ??? Surely you just take from that trip that those were the sorts of facilities available and in good weather it would be a great trip !!!
I do get fed up when ppl don't seem to think Australia gets cold, we stayed in the hills when we first arrived in 2008 and I swear to god I was frozen for the first few weeks until we moved out of the hills where it got a bit warmer.
Lets put it this way Australia has better weather than the uk on the whole barring cyclones and dust storms yadayada yada.
But it does get cold. You will prob need jumpers and blankets.

I don't get the whole family friends thing - perhaps cause we don't have that with anyone but dear god peple please speak to your nearest and dearest if you have them before you decide to consider going half way round the world.
We are lucky in that we don't have those emotional chains on us at all so I do feel for them in a way but its just a GRRRR fast forward moment for us sorry.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes its good they now give some indication of how expensive australia is.

We were over for 6 weeks and even at the end still gawping at how much cheaper UK is. Not just food and shopping, Partner seemed to think cars were cheap too, kids though any tech stuff was way cheaper and more advanced to boot. Bro was having dental work done, private care, he had a crown done, even that was half the flipping price we pay.
There's a surprise then.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Errr oddly enough they decided Australia, I have to say I couldn't have been more shocked by that result.
I did find the camping bit strange to say the least, they were camping in an Aussie winter but openly admit when the weather is bad in the UK they don't go on holiday ??? Surely you just take from that trip that those were the sorts of facilities available and in good weather it would be a great trip !!!
I do get fed up when ppl don't seem to think Australia gets cold, we stayed in the hills when we first arrived in 2008 and I swear to god I was frozen for the first few weeks until we moved out of the hills where it got a bit warmer.
Lets put it this way Australia has better weather than the uk on the whole barring cyclones and dust storms yadayada yada.
But it does get cold. You will prob need jumpers and blankets.

I don't get the whole family friends thing - perhaps cause we don't have that with anyone but dear god peple please speak to your nearest and dearest if you have them before you decide to consider going half way round the world.
We are lucky in that we don't have those emotional chains on us at all so I do feel for them in a way but its just a GRRRR fast forward moment for us sorry.
I would like them to film the episodes in the aussie summer, what benefit is it to experience Darwin in the few weeks of the year when the humidity doesnt melt your soul. How about Brisbane when its so sticky the cameras would fog up, melbourne with a blazing bush fire in the background, perth in prime fly season the camera lense clogged with flies.

I guess none of that would sell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.