Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted.........doctor...............!

Wanted.........doctor...............!

Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

andrewryan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanted.........doctor...............!

I'm a GP/family Dr looking probably at relocating to Australia in the next couple of years with my family. I'm concerned at where the nhs is going both for me and my patients, dont believe the "spin" you read in the papers though !
I've heard there is a shortage of GP's generally in Oz. From those of you already relocated, is this a true statement I've heard? Has anyone any advice on finding jobs etc. I've found a few web pages specifically targeted at my profession but info from ex-pats would be greatly accepted. I'm coming on a fact-finding "tour" with my family next year to Adelaide and Melbourne
Regards to all
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

hyperMutley will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wanted.........doctor...............!

This topic came up in conversation over a visit in the weekend, my cousin and his wife are both doctors, not GPs though. My aunt told me that Aussie has enough doctors is not taking anymore in. Having said that you may want to check their occupations in demand list.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This site may help

http://medirec.com.au/
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, do believe shortage of doctors.

My sons friend parents are both doctors and came here around Christmas time. They are working in our local rural hospital. They have come on sponsorship and said shortage of doctors in OZ.

Yes we are in rural WA but the hospital is very quiet, e.g I went with daughter for A&E and it was empty!
Also while sitting waiting for check up on another occation, local came in to A&E for ear infection, just wanted prescription for ear drops!

Anyway I have been told by sons friends shortage in OZ, and in most areas. So you should be able to relocate in the city or rural areas.

(PS,We are not doctors)

GEMS
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andrewryan1
I'm a GP/family Dr looking probably at relocating to Australia in the next couple of years with my family. I'm concerned at where the nhs is going both for me and my patients, dont believe the "spin" you read in the papers though !
I've heard there is a shortage of GP's generally in Oz. From those of you already relocated, is this a true statement I've heard? Has anyone any advice on finding jobs etc. I've found a few web pages specifically targeted at my profession but info from ex-pats would be greatly accepted. I'm coming on a fact-finding "tour" with my family next year to Adelaide and Melbourne
Regards to all
Yup, there is a shortage of doctors, hence the worry over the Haneef case as the feeling was that it would put off the needed doctors from countries like India from coming to Aus to fill the gap. One word of caution, i have a feeling that new medics to this country, especially GPs will probably have to work in an area of need for 2 years after they are licensed here, so this will either be a rural area or rough urban area.. might want to check on that. A friend of mine has moved here and is now doing stints in rural communities.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaqd
Did you have any success? there is a massive shortage of Good Gp's over here...they do not make it easy bu you can definitley find work...generally you need to be based in an area of need or a shortage..these can close to the major metro areas as well as more remote...
good luck with it..if I can help anymore pop me a mesage- just on this forum as a new member and have lots of experience of healthcare and jobs
Why are you resurrecting old threads?......all about healthcare jobs

Do you work for an agency?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why are you resurrecting old threads?......all about healthcare jobs

Do you work for an agency?
Something I am also wondering.......

JAQD - welcome to BE, always good to see new members

However please don't keep resurrecting old threads for no real reason - as you will see by the low post count of the original posters they haven't posted since, so are unlikely to respond to your questions
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

trixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nice

Hi, I'm a GP who left a very good practice in leafy Hampshire (also tired of the NHS and new contract!) and arrived in Sydney last week. It was VERY easy to get a position here. The 'areas of need' are not in the outback or in the middle of nowhere as you might think they are! I've landed a job in a private practice 30 mins. south of Sydney CBD! I also had a lot of interest from Melbourne, Brisbane. I think you'd find it fairly easy. If you have MRCGP, you can be here in less than 6 months and have choice!! Good Luck...and yes...go for it!!...It's mid-winter here and 20 degrees,sunny, really good for the soul!