Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Originally Posted by DML
We have a similar device with Rabobank here in Australia. Looks like a step counter when you first see it. You have to input a code that then generates another code that allows you to transact. Very secure but a pain the butt at times and haven't managed to lose it yet (too big to go on a key ring). Thankfully their mobile app is more flexible. Hope you get sorted out
Yeah, that's a similar cipher system to the one used in the British models. You might actually find that the underlying algorithm is exactly the same and therefore the Aussie ones would work with British bank accounts too.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:16 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have the same problem - I have to go outside to make a call on my mobile - Though I can just about receive a text. I often miss phone calls though, as they are unable to connect to my phone when it is inside the house...

S
I dream about being able to make a call on my mobile out in the road

When we had the bad bushfires here and suffered a deluge of reporters, it was suddenly realised that there was no reliable mobile signal (and definitely no 4G!!), so with the phone lines down, they erected a temporary mast at the top of our road.

It was wonderful

On the rare occasion I need to make an online bank payment to a new person and have to get a mobile activation code, I have to have a child poised by the pc inside while I wander up and down the road looking for the elusive 1 bar necessary to get a text message. As soon as I get it, I have to freeze, try to send a text (because sometimes it lies) and if that's successful, shout 'PRESS THE BLOODY BUTTON!!!!!'

Happy days.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep saying it, but nobody listens - Citibank offer the best Australian banking experience - Minimal fees, no stupid token generators, authentication by mobile for transactions, excellent security and fee free withdrawals from many ATMs overseas.

Why people continue to bank with these hokey local fools is beyond me.

S
Not sure about the fee free withdrawals but you've pretty much described my Comm Bank experience of 11 years.

I keep reading the thread title as dysentery
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:36 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not sure about the fee free withdrawals but you've pretty much described my Comm Bank experience of 11 years.

I keep reading the thread title as dysentery

A dysentery device - I like that

Sadly many people don't shop around for the best banking deals, and then get locked into fees etc and consider it normal. Most banks offer fee free banking somehow, but it isn's always the top option on the website.

People also seem strangely defensive of their banking choices, and very unwilling to change for a better deal.

As for Citi, fee free withdrawals overseas is great - particularly as I travel quite a lot.

S
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

People also seem strangely defensive of their banking choices

S

I keep saying it, but nobody listens - Citibank offer the best Australian banking experience - Minimal fees, no stupid token generators...
Why people continue to bank with these hokey local fools is beyond me

Sorry, but it was funny
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

A dysentery device - I like that

Sadly many people don't shop around for the best banking deals, and then get locked into fees etc and consider it normal. Most banks offer fee free banking somehow, but it isn's always the top option on the website.

People also seem strangely defensive of their banking choices, and very unwilling to change for a better deal.

As for Citi, fee free withdrawals overseas is great - particularly as I travel quite a lot.

S
I'm listening . I've raved about HSBC for years but our relationship is straining. We have some silly device to bank with, both Australian and British HSBC accounts and the things are a pain in the arse.

I use 28Degrees for the fee free OS credit card but the thing cannot be linked to HSBC and therefore I forget to pay the damn thing off and get charged interest.

Maybe its my relationship manager. She is Chinese and despite being very nice and a very hard worker for me, she's robotic and if computer says no it means no. Well sometimes you need things the computer doesn't understand. Its nice to have a personal relationship manager on call. Can't see an Aussie bank doing that.

I will check out Citibank. I have a Comm Bank account I have had for years and I just find them and any other local Aussie bank a real effort. Apologies in advance to the millions who do, but anyone who banks with an Aussie bank is a mug.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm listening . I've raved about HSBC for years but our relationship is straining. We have some silly device to bank with, both Australian and British HSBC accounts and the things are a pain in the arse.

I use 28Degrees for the fee free OS credit card but the thing cannot be linked to HSBC and therefore I forget to pay the damn thing off and get charged interest.

Maybe its my relationship manager. She is Chinese and despite being very nice and a very hard worker for me, she's robotic and if computer says no it means no. Well sometimes you need things the computer doesn't understand. Its nice to have a personal relationship manager on call. Can't see an Aussie bank doing that.

I will check out Citibank. I have a Comm Bank account I have had for years and I just find them and any other local Aussie bank a real effort. Apologies in advance to the millions who do, but anyone who banks with an Aussie bank is a mug.
Might be easier to swap relationship managers than to up sticks and swap banks... just a suggestion. Not sure if being Chinese is the cause of her being robotic. I've met plenty of robotic automatons of all colors and races, and if there's one commonality in them, it's called: "can't be arsed to go the extra mile".
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:02 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I also used to bank with HSBC, but found the same as you - as soon as you need something a little bit out of the box, and the computer says no, you are really up against it as they are very inflexible and perfunctory. Good, basic, fee free banking though, but they were unable to offer me a proper offset account mortgage as I was able to obtain from Citi.

I don't really object to people being defensive of their banking choices - if you find something that works for you, then cool - but what annoys me is people who continually moan about being charged for this, that and the other, but as soon as you suggest moving to a fee free alternative, they look at you as if you have suggested feeding their kids to wolves...

S
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Might be easier to swap relationship managers than to up sticks and swap banks... just a suggestion. Not sure if being Chinese is the cause of her being robotic. I've met plenty of robotic automatons of all colors and races, and if there's one commonality in them, it's called: "can't be arsed to go the extra mile".
I don't mean to offend, but its the Asian education system. It works great for rigor, but not for free thinking. I spend a lot of time in Singapore and co so I do have experience in the way it operates and have to adjust accordingly. Don't get me wrong, for some aspects, the rigor is a good thing.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I also used to bank with HSBC, but found the same as you - as soon as you need something a little bit out of the box, and the computer says no, you are really up against it as they are very inflexible and perfunctory. Good, basic, fee free banking though, but they were unable to offer me a proper offset account mortgage as I was able to obtain from Citi.

I don't really object to people being defensive of their banking choices - if you find something that works for you, then cool - but what annoys me is people who continually moan about being charged for this, that and the other, but as soon as you suggest moving to a fee free alternative, they look at you as if you have suggested feeding their kids to wolves...

S
Cracking example, you can't go back beyond 3 months in the online statement nor can you export your statement beyond 3 months old.

I asked them to work around the system and provide me electronic access to this data, which took forever because computer says no. In the end they provided me with a PDF with no ability to copy the text out and shove in Excel or similar, even though I had clearly explained what I was after. I suppose I could get to it if I OCR'ed it but really I shouldn't have to go to such extremes.

You are right though. HSBC is all fee free and you can use St George and Westpac amongst other ATM's free. The free transfer between Oz and UK is a winner and the rate is good.

Little things like this but they all add up.

Lloyds for example, online I can go back though statements for years. All exportable.

Does Citi allow this?

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 23rd 2017 at 11:14 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 12:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Lloyds for example, online I can go back though statements for years. All exportable.

Does Citi allow this?
I just checked and I could download statements for my Citibank plus account back to 2012 when I opened it. Could only export about the last 3 months in a csv file though.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I just checked and I could download statements for my Citibank plus account back to 2012 when I opened it. Could only export about the last 3 months in a csv file though.
Good to know.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 1:15 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by bcworld

I've just tried too - I can download a PDF statement as far back as 2010, but export to CSV is only the last three months apparently.

S