Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:56 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Worst case, you could buy one and ask the seller to send it by some sort of priority service.

Pin sentry - secure key online banking login | eBay

NEW Barclays PINsentry Pin Sentry Security Online Banking Reader Card Bank Chip
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:57 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When they do they will adapt it into something totally unworkable that probably involves 7 phone calls and a visit to your branch
So pretty much like the British system then.

I have to say that, from my experience, British banks do seem to be extremely cold, sterile and inflexible compared with their equivalents in some other countries.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
So pretty much like the British system then.

I have to say that, from my experience, British banks do seem to be extremely cold, sterile and inflexible compared with their equivalents in some other countries.
Not had an issue with Lloyds yet in my years as an expat thank goodness.
However I find Aussie banks generally a pain in the neck. Lots of cashpoint and account fees, very unhelpful phone service etc.
Best trick so far was when after getting divorced I tried to remove my name from a joint account which contained no money, had no payments coming out of it, it was just dormant. The bank politely informed me that my ex-husband and I would have to both visit the branch owning the account and prove that we were divorced before they would take my name off. Oh - and visit TOGETHER!
A strongly worded letter informing the bank that this was a totally unrealistic scenario for many people (not us, I hasten to add, our split was very amicable) - just think of domestic violence cases for instance, or people who had moved miles away - went unanswered.

The account stayed open and empty for 5 years until the bank (NAB) closed it themselves and sent me a letter saying they hoped I appreciated that accounts should not stay open when unused and I was a naughty person for not sorting it earlier
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You think Aussie banks are up to that kind of stuff yet? Another 30 years maybe.......
I bank with the Commonwealth, and before I left Oz they gave me this nifty security token. It's linked to my bank account - when I log on in the usual way I get a prompt to press my security token button, which generates a number that you have to enter straight away. It's good
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:24 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

However I find Aussie banks generally a pain in the neck. Lots of cashpoint and account fees, very unhelpful phone service etc.
Best trick so far was when after getting divorced I tried to remove my name from a joint account which contained no money, had no payments coming out of it, it was just dormant. The bank politely informed me that my ex-husband and I would have to both visit the branch owning the account and prove that we were divorced before they would take my name off. Oh - and visit TOGETHER!
A strongly worded letter informing the bank that this was a totally unrealistic scenario for many people (not us, I hasten to add, our split was very amicable) - just think of domestic violence cases for instance, or people who had moved miles away - went unanswered.

The account stayed open and empty for 5 years until the bank (NAB) closed it themselves and sent me a letter saying they hoped I appreciated that accounts should not stay open when unused and I was a naughty person for not sorting it earlier

I keep saying it, but nobody listens - Citibank offer the best Australian banking experience - Minimal fees, no stupid token generators, authentication by mobile for transactions, excellent security and fee free withdrawals from many ATMs overseas.

Why people continue to bank with these hokey local fools is beyond me.

S
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I keep saying it, but nobody listens - Citibank offer the best Australian banking experience - Minimal fees, no stupid token generators, authentication by mobile for transactions, excellent security and fee free withdrawals from many ATMs overseas.

S
Maybe people do their own research, and find the bank that best suits their particular needs. Just like you and I did.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

S
Authentication by mobile would be an absolute flipping nightmare for me!!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:54 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Authentication by mobile would be an absolute flipping nightmare for me!!

Do you not have a mobile? I'm not sure if there is authentication by carrier pigeon

S
Old Jan 19th 2017, 12:59 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not have a mobile? I'm not sure if there is authentication by carrier pigeon

S
Yeah of course I have a mobile, I'm not a total Luddite.

What I don't have is any mobile phone signal.

Unless I go stand out in the middle of the road and even then it's hit and miss. (The signal, that is)

The joys of living in a hilly region.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:45 am
Just Joined

DiverSteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol I can see I've opened up a real can of worms here, "pinsentry seems to be a dirty word" and so it should be, ended up losing the currency deal I had secured at $1.64 cause there's no way I can transfer the funds through, Barclays all apologies, which of course made me feel better, but how's this for logic,
Have a look on line for closing accounts (manage my account) you have to download a form fill it in and send it to them, as you read down the page it asks what you would like doing with any funds left in the account and gives three options,

1: transfer funds to another account which then asks for payee name and sort code etc
2: send you a cheque
3: give the balance to a charity

As this was my intention after doing the transfer I did this and took the transfer option giving a cousins details, anyway while making my fifth phone call to Barclays at 2am this morning (Aus time) and trying desperately to find a way through their security procedures, hitting a brick wall every time, I mentioned I had also put this form in the post and taken the transfer option and politely asked if there would also be a problem with that transfer, answer "NO" wtf
It also turned out that the currency broker I had first used a few years ago was still logged in as a payee on my on line account (make a payment) problem was they had changed banks, all I needed to do was edit the sort code etc but again "sorry" computer says no, have been running a business for over twenty years but thank god the account wasn't with Barclays. Thanks for all your comments and good luck to any Barclay account holders especially those overseas, unfortunately we haven't all got the foresight to look at these forums before we open our bank accounts.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:48 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Yeah of course I have a mobile, I'm not a total Luddite.

What I don't have is any mobile phone signal.

Unless I go stand out in the middle of the road and even then it's hit and miss. (The signal, that is)

The joys of living in a hilly region.

I have the same problem - I have to go outside to make a call on my mobile - Though I can just about receive a text. I often miss phone calls though, as they are unable to connect to my phone when it is inside the house...

S
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You think Aussie banks are up to that kind of stuff yet? Another 30 years maybe.......
Nonsense. Like SOS I have a Commbank account and a nifty little Netcode Generator which is attached to my keyring.

In order to logon to transact online I need to generate a code via the generator. Very simple and very safe. And I've had it for over 10 years...
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Nonsense. Like SOS I have a Commbank account and a nifty little Netcode Generator which is attached to my keyring.

In order to logon to transact online I need to generate a code via the generator. Very simple and very safe. And I've had it for over 10 years...
Ah forgive me for being flippant, I'll use a few more next time, or just let someone else try and help.

True story though - Heritage (based in Queensland) excelled themselves today by phoning me and asking if i was aware i had just used my card overseas and was it still in my possession. I am in Hobart.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 19th 2017 at 7:56 am.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:45 am
Sidecar Falcon

They're alright until you need anything remotely out of the ordinary. A few years ago, the Canadian High Commission insisted that I have a form signed by my bank to prove that my account had sufficient funds in it.

I have bank accounts with a few of the different banks in the UK and that is probably for the best since I took visits to 6 local branches until I found one where the local manager was finally willing to sign it.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:22 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

We have a similar device with Rabobank here in Australia. Looks like a step counter when you first see it. You have to input a code that then generates another code that allows you to transact. Very secure but a pain the butt at times and haven't managed to lose it yet (too big to go on a key ring). Thankfully their mobile app is more flexible. Hope you get sorted out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.