Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

DiverSteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Is there anyone living or staying in the Cairns QLD area that has access to a UK Barclays Bank Pinsentry device, I urgently need to transfer some funds from my U.K. Account and only have access to online banking which apparently want let me do this, wasn't aware this had changed and can't afford to wait for them to send it to me !
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

Originally Posted by DiverSteve
Is there anyone living or staying in the Cairns QLD area that has access to a UK Barclays Bank Pinsentry device, I urgently need to transfer some funds from my U.K. Account and only have access to online banking which apparently want let me do this, wasn't aware this had changed and can't afford to wait for them to send it to me !
Hi, sorry you're in a pickle. But - are you asking for someone's bank details? If you are, it's a VERY big ask for a brand new poster/member!

Can you use a foreign currency broker, or if you're really desperate, someone like western union?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Hey sorry no intention in using or even having access to anyone's bank details but after reading other threads this seems to be a common headache, I've pretty much done the same as everyone else making several calls to the UK but the last "Indian" lady I spoke to suggested if I knew somebody here that had a machine I could make my transaction using that, and yes I am using a currency broker in London, that's the problem, I have a fair rate locked in for a large amount of money after selling a house over there, any suggestions, really don't want to lose out
Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hey sorry no intention in using or even having access to anyone's bank details but after reading other threads this seems to be a common headache, I've pretty much done the same as everyone else making several calls to the UK but the last "Indian" lady I spoke to suggested if I knew somebody here that had a machine I could make my transaction using that, and yes I am using a currency broker in London, that's the problem, I have a fair rate locked in for a large amount of money after selling a house over there, any suggestions, really don't want to lose out
Somewhat to my surprise, the lady you spoke to was correct https://www.help.barclays.co.uk/faq/...rd-reader.html

My surprise (and I must admit, my skepticism!) came from the fact that my own gadget from a different bank is directly linked to my bank account, so it wouldn't be of use to anyone else.

No suggestions, sorry. Good luck though, I've had a few perspiring moments with fx currency myself!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:07 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Annoyingly I have one, but it is broken - I've changed the batteries but still no dice. FYI, the Nationwide one also works for Barclays cards - if you can find somebody with a Nationwide account nearby.

Beyond that, can you pay the broker by cheque? Do you still have a cheque book?

S
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:12 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi, sorry you're in a pickle. But - are you asking for someone's bank details? If you are, it's a VERY big ask for a brand new poster/member!

Can you use a foreign currency broker, or if you're really desperate, someone like western union?

No, he's not - he's after the device that generates a one-time use verification code from a card. They are generic devices, so can be shared without any danger of revealing any sensitive data.

He could have done with a more informative thread title though!

S
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
No, he's not - he's after the device that generates a one-time use verification code from a card. They are generic devices, so can be shared without any danger of revealing any sensitive data.

He could have done with a more informative thread title though!

S
Asked a couple of mates up that way but can't find any Barclays users

I'll report it and see if we can get the title changed
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Steve

Thanks for reply, I spoke to my son inlaw in the UK early hours this morning and apparently he has the device already, said it had been in the drawer for over a year cause they've now moved on to an app for your phone, quicker and safer !!!!!!! "Makes sense if you're on the move"
Appreciate you asking your mates I'll just keep plugging away, I can see a few more late nights coming up though, must have made ten calls to Barclays this morning speaking to different people every time and getting different feed back, love the security but frustrating not being in control of your own money.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Default Re: Steve

Thanks for reply, I spoke to my son inlaw in the UK early hours this morning and apparently he has the device already, said it had been in the drawer for over a year cause they've now moved on to an app for your phone, quicker and safer !!!!!!! "Makes sense if you're on the move"
Appreciate you asking your mates I'll just keep plugging away, I can see a few more late nights coming up though, must have made ten calls to Barclays this morning speaking to different people every time and getting different feed back, love the security but frustrating not being in control of your own money.
The Barclays website seems to indicate that you can send money internationally via telephone banking if you have a passcode? It only mentions a pinsentry for online payments https://www.help.barclays.co.uk/faq/...#mobilebanking
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted...Barclays Pinsentry Device

I have a Barclays Pinsentry but I'm in Brissy which is not awfully near Cairns I'm afraid.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
I have a Barclays Pinsentry but I'm in Brissy which is not awfully near Cairns I'm afraid.
As a last resort I would fly down to brissy but I'll keep trying other options first, thanks
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:32 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

The pinsentry hardware itself is all the same, it is just that the UK banks have an unfortunate habit of branding the devices that they send out.

Theoretically any pin sentry device from any UK bank should work and most of the banks have been sending them to people for years. I too once learned that lesson the hard way when one of mine broke at the worst possible time in Canada.

I ended up using one issued by a different bank and it was fine. The internal calculations and cipher algorithms that take place inside it are exactly identical. If Aussie banks issue a similar device then you might even be able to get away with using that.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
The pinsentry hardware itself is all the same, it is just that the UK banks have an unfortunate habit of branding the devices that they send out.

Theoretically any pin sentry device from any UK bank should work and most of the banks have been sending them to people for years. I too once learned that lesson the hard way when one of mine broke at the worst possible time in Canada.

I ended up using one issued by a different bank and it was fine. The internal calculations and cipher algorithms that take place inside it are exactly identical. If Aussie banks issue a similar device then you might even be able to get away with using that.
You think Aussie banks are up to that kind of stuff yet? Another 30 years maybe.......
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:54 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You think Aussie banks are up to that kind of stuff yet? Another 30 years maybe.......
Tbh, I wish that British banks weren't. The damn things are a gigantic pain in the arse.

A lot of the UK banks now have a smartphone equivalent for Android and iOS so you don't have to rely on their equivalent of a pound shop Chinese pocket calculator anymore however you need a pin sentry device to actually set up the app in the first instance.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Tbh, I wish that British banks weren't. The damn things are a gigantic pain in the arse.

A lot of the UK banks now have a smartphone equivalent for Android and iOS so you don't have to rely on their equivalent of a pound shop Chinese pocket calculator anymore however you need a pin sentry device to actually set up the app in the first instance.
I don't think the banks here have heard of it yet. When they do they will adapt it into something totally unworkable that probably involves 7 phone calls and a visit to your branch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.