Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WA Tops Table For Assault and Burglary

WA Tops Table For Assault and Burglary

Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default WA Tops Table For Assault and Burglary

West Australians are more likely to be victims of crime including assaults and home burglary than people in any other state, according to research by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

According to ABS data, of the 58,800 West Australians who said they were physically assaulted, about half were the victim of one incident, while a quarter listed three or more attacks. (which makes one wonder the sort of lifestyle these people lead)

About 5.4% of WA households experienced one or more incidents of theft from a motor vehicle compared to 2.8% nationally, while about 4.3% said they had been victim of a home burglary, compared to 2.5% nationwide.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Tops Table For Assault and Burglary

Originally Posted by the troubadour
West Australians are more likely to be victims of crime including assaults and home burglary than people in any other state, according to research by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

According to ABS data, of the 58,800 West Australians who said they were physically assaulted, about half were the victim of one incident, while a quarter listed three or more attacks. (which makes one wonder the sort of lifestyle these people lead)

About 5.4% of WA households experienced one or more incidents of theft from a motor vehicle compared to 2.8% nationally, while about 4.3% said they had been victim of a home burglary, compared to 2.5% nationwide.
And?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me wonder at the geographic spread of those crimes. I'm betting they aren't spread out, but focused in particular areas.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Makes me wonder at the geographic spread of those crimes. I'm betting they aren't spread out, but focused in particular areas.
I suspect that is very much the case.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
And?
And what? Second time now you have come out with a odd reply concerning Perth. In fact only time you bother to contribute to any thread I post. There is such a thing as giving comment with regards to the stats relayed. A lot of people may well be surprised that Perth rates are high.
There may be reasons for this which could just be interesting to read for some.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Buggered if I know the purpose behind posting statistics for a particular type of crime in a particular state. Why extrapolate assault and burglary?

ABS
Australia national offender rate 2016/2017 - 1,949 offenders per 100,000 persons

WA offender rate for 2016/2017 - 1,874 offenders per 100,000 persons
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure you are right. But other cities have dodgy areas many would have thought more crime prone than Perth. Is there something else going on here? No idea just found the stats rather high for a city like Perth.

Saying that am fully aware of a number of dodgy suburbs as well. Worse than Melbourne or Sydney though?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:50 am
Concierge

And what? Second time now you have come out with a odd reply concerning Perth. In fact only time you bother to contribute to any thread I post. There is such a thing as giving comment with regards to the stats relayed. A lot of people may well be surprised that Perth rates are high.
There may be reasons for this which could just be interesting to read for some.
Second time? You're counting??

As for contributing to threads you post, to be honest I usually avoid your threads. I find the majority of them to be meaningless spam. Like this one. Ciao.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Buggered if I know the purpose behind posting statistics for a particular type of crime in a particular state. Why extrapolate assault and burglary?

ABS
Australia national offender rate 2016/2017 - 1,949 offenders per 100,000 persons

WA offender rate for 2016/2017 - 1,874 offenders per 100,000 persons
Post something that suites your fancy then. Or in other words is there a point in posting anything? WE could just as easy allow the forum to welter on the vine. It is news and may surprise some people that Perth, or at least part of it endures such stats. Always preferable to give a real picture of warts and all rather than just the glossy image sometimes floated around.
So sorry if it doesn't suit the picture you prefer to have in mind especially with settling here in prospect.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My years with the police taught me a lot abut crime stats They are often manipulated by the politicians to make their party look good, the other look bad etc and so since then I have taken them largely with a pinch of salt.

For instance, at one time my police service had been under instruction to get car crime down, and so we were told that all offences that involved cars being broken into, with items stolen, were now to be counted as Burglary and theft (from vehicle) thus removing them from the area of vehicle crime and placing them in the domestic arena.
Vehicle crime figures plummeted overnight and the bosses were happy.
Until the opposition picked up on the huge rise in 'domestic burglaries' and slammed the police for allowing it to happen.

Crime figures can say different things on different days to different people. Singling out one figure like this is pointless.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you are right. But other cities have dodgy areas many would have thought more crime prone than Perth. Is there something else going on here? No idea just found the stats rather high for a city like Perth.

Saying that am fully aware of a number of dodgy suburbs as well. Worse than Melbourne or Sydney though?
I'd actually bet that the stats are getting pushed up for the rural and mining towns, as well as for those in Perth that are now unemployed after the mining downturn. Lots of meth heads with nothing to do, and no jobs.

Difficult to source appropriate stats, but for "Burglary (Dwelling)", the number in the Kimberley is 164 vs the average of of 93 for WA as a whole. Which bears out at least part of that.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They are often manipulated by the politicians to make their party look good, the other look bad etc and so since then I have taken them largely with a pinch of salt.
Yeah, like the "Stop the reporting of Boats".

It's why you really need to push for trustworthy raw stats and even then it's difficult if they try and redefine things.

And don't get me started on health stats ...
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Second time? You're counting??

As for contributing to threads you post, to be honest I usually avoid your threads. I find the majority of them to be meaningless spam. Like this one. Ciao.
Not counting but you rather came a cropper with that comment as well. I do understand my posts will more than likely go way over your head. Fair enough but your comments in reply remain of little substance in my reckoning so please do disappear to a place you find more contentment ....doing yourself a favour in the process....

Oh how rude of me forgot the toddle pip in conclusion........

Last edited by the troubadour; Feb 17th 2018 at 9:52 am.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd actually bet that the stats are getting pushed up for the rural and mining towns, as well as for those in Perth that are now unemployed after the mining downturn. Lots of meth heads with nothing to do, and no jobs.

Difficult to source appropriate stats, but for "Burglary (Dwelling)", the number in the Kimberley is 164 vs the average of of 93 for WA as a whole. Which bears out at least part of that.
Indeed. I was going to say thanks for a sensible comment, but that may sound to be patronising, There is an incredible amount of illicit drugs around unfortunately hardly new, but it could possibly be worse than before? I have nothing to say so but an off economy as you mention may well be a contributing factor.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My years with the police taught me a lot abut crime stats They are often manipulated by the politicians to make their party look good, the other look bad etc and so since then I have taken them largely with a pinch of salt.

For instance, at one time my police service had been under instruction to get car crime down, and so we were told that all offences that involved cars being broken into, with items stolen, were now to be counted as Burglary and theft (from vehicle) thus removing them from the area of vehicle crime and placing them in the domestic arena.
Vehicle crime figures plummeted overnight and the bosses were happy.
Until the opposition picked up on the huge rise in 'domestic burglaries' and slammed the police for allowing it to happen.

Crime figures can say different things on different days to different people. Singling out one figure like this is pointless.
My first thought was police after more money in the kitty in exaggerating the fight against crime. Not understating the meth problems that are very high in WA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.