Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VOIP Plans for calling the UK? (iiNet)

VOIP Plans for calling the UK? (iiNet)

Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VOIP Plans for calling the UK? (iiNet)

I use Pennytel untimed for all my outgoing calls. Which is is 8 cents for all non-mobile calls, no flagfall, no time limit (calls mobiles are about 25c and timed). So I can speak to the UK for as long as I want for 8c. No monthly contract either, just top up $10 whenever the balance drops to $2 which doesn't happen often.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I use Pennytel untimed for all my outgoing calls. Which is is 8 cents for all non-mobile calls, no flagfall, no time limit (calls mobiles are about 25c and timed). So I can speak to the UK for as long as I want for 8c. No monthly contract either, just top up $10 whenever the balance drops to $2 which doesn't happen often.
This is what I'm thinking, the cost of a modem which only supports 1 voip provider is about $90, for multi providers its $190, can make a lot of 8c calls for $100. Do you also have a UK dial in number linked to pennytel, like this?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1466306
Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:57 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Also consider an online PBX. Multiple providers into the PBX service provider, then one connection to you. Some are even free.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Also consider an online PBX. Multiple providers into the PBX service provider, then one connection to you. Some are even free.
Ahh, yes I remember reading about them, thats a good way to do it, thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
. Do you also have a UK dial in number linked to pennytel, like this?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1466306
I don't understand any of that??
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, yes I remember reading about them, thats a good way to do it, thanks!
https://www1.pbxes.com/iptel_virtual-pbx.html is one
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
I don't understand any of that??
Sorry, what I mean is its possible to have a UK number (for free) which folk in the UK can call and it will be sent over the internet to your home phone in Australia. They pay just the cost of calling a UK number (and you can have one in each town you need), you pay nothing = cheap way for the rellies to call you.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:28 am
(It's not my real name)

Sorry, what I mean is its possible to have a UK number (for free) which folk in the UK can call and it will be sent over the internet to your home phone in Australia. They pay just the cost of calling a UK number (and you can have one in each town you need), you pay nothing = cheap way for the rellies to call you.
I didn't know about that, I'll have to look into it, thanks.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We have a Billion 7404VGP-M modem and reroute a UK local number direct to our home phone for all our rellies to use. Use a local Voip service for overseas calls but will look into pennytel as they are cheaper.
We've used the modem non stop for nearly 3 years without any problems.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One really bad thing about Pennytel is their customer service. I'm able to get around this most of the time by sussing out problems myself. However I've got one major issue whilst I've got you guys attention. I'm pretty sure its to do with the limitations of my modem. When I get through to a 13 or 1300 number and one needs a keypad response, not one of the 13 numbers that I call will recognise a keypad input. I've changed codecs, and other prescribed settings on my modem to no avail. I just wondered those of you with the more upmarket Billion modems have this problem. I get a hell of a lot of whinging from the Wife about this. I gave up trying to solve the issue via Pennytel CService months ago.

In actual fact the only company that does react ok to a Keypad input is Pennytel themselves.

We have to use the mobiles for those 13 or 1300 numbers with keypad input now.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:07 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One really bad thing about Pennytel is their customer service. I'm able to get around this most of the time by sussing out problems myself. However I've got one major issue whilst I've got you guys attention. I'm pretty sure its to do with the limitations of my modem. When I get through to a 13 or 1300 number and one needs a keypad response, not one of the 13 numbers that I call will recognise a keypad input. I've changed codecs, and other prescribed settings on my modem to no avail. I just wondered those of you with the more upmarket Billion modems have this problem. I get a hell of a lot of whinging from the Wife about this. I gave up trying to solve the issue via Pennytel CService months ago.

In actual fact the only company that does react ok to a Keypad input is Pennytel themselves.

We have to use the mobiles for those 13 or 1300 numbers with keypad input now.
out of band DTMF ? try turning that on or off
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
out of band DTMF ? try turning that on or off
\

Thats a new tip.... ok thanks
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:36 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

\

Thats a new tip.... ok thanks
Sending the DTMF codes out-of-band (OOB) means that codec used by the audio cannot mangle the DTMF codes beyond recognition.

Some codec (G.729a) don't have the fidelity needed to maintain the dual frequencies of a single DTMF tone. Sending the DTMF OOB means the other side will recognize the DTMF even if it doesn't "sound" right

(from a smarter guy on another forum) but it should fix your problem - I beleive you want it switched on.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spalen
Sending the DTMF codes out-of-band (OOB) means that codec used by the audio cannot mangle the DTMF codes beyond recognition.

Some codec (G.729a) don't have the fidelity needed to maintain the dual frequencies of a single DTMF tone. Sending the DTMF OOB means the other side will recognize the DTMF even if it doesn't "sound" right

(from a smarter guy on another forum) but it should fix your problem - I beleive you want it switched on.
Blimey Spalen it Actually works.... That was via switching it off though.

Heh... the wife is really going to be chuffed.

Just shows how crap Pennytels back up is though, I've been on their Voip service at least a year now... so this is the first time this has worked in a year. It took me weeks to figure out I had to use 61 in front of 13 numbers and even longer to work out I had to put 0 in front of 1300 numbers to make them work. Pennytel just didnt respond to my requests for help.

There were a lot of tick boxes on that page with dtmf, that I didnt feel like mucking around with it without knowing the potential affects.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 20th 2010 at 9:04 am.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:54 am
ah-beng

Blimey Spalen it Actually works.... That was via switching it off though.

Heh... the wife is really going to be chuffed.

Just shows how crap Pennytels back up is though, I've been on their Voip service at least a year now... so this is the first time this has worked in a year. It took me weeks to figure out I had to use 61 in front of 13 numbers and even longer to work out I had to put 0 in front of 1300 numbers to make them work. Pennytel just didnt respond to my requests for help.

There were a lot of tick boxes on that page with dtmf, that I didnt feel like mucking around with it without knowing the potential affects.
Brilliant Im glad the hundreds of hours I wasted reading the whirlpool forums can be of use :-)

There is a good forum on whirlpool for voip providers. I use MNF , I just got mine sorted last week. Its ok - uses g.729 which is the low bandwidth protocol. I guess they're about the same as pennytel.

The whirlpool forums are best for support - lots of enthusiasts on there (or 11 yr old kids who know what they're doing - either way, it works)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.