Visa's & "eligible NZ citizen"

Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa's & "eligible NZ citizen"

I think this is what is causing the confusion:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Visas...l-pathway.aspx

If the OP's husband is an ENZC, and still holds this status, then this would not apply to him. In order to be an ENZC the following would need to apply:

An Eligible New Zealand Citizen (ENZC) is a person who is defined as a ‘protected SCV’ holder under the Social Security Act 1991. Protected SCV holders are those who arrived in Australia on a New Zealand passport and were:

- in Australia on 26 February 2001
- in Australia for 12 months in the 2 years immediately before this date
- assessed as protected SCV holders before 26 February 2004.

An ENZC can sponsor family members for an Australian permanent visa.
If the OP's husband left Australia in 2000 then this wouldn't apply to him as he wouldn't have been in Australia on 26 February 2001.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

peckhamtogeelong is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for continuing to help with this. So according to the legislation the criteria for being a Protected SCV are either/or as in you don't need to have all 3 - you just need to fit one of the criteria. Husband wasn't in Australia on 26 Feb 2001 and wasn't certified as protected before 2004, but he was in australia for a 12 month period in the 2 years before 26/02/01. We have been told as he fits this one criteria he is definitely an eligible New Zealand citizen, which suggests from what you say that we should be able to apply for my Partner visa with both of us still here. I contacted a Alan again today so will see what he says and let you all know. There's obviously a lot of fine print to wade through on this
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peckhamtogeelong
Thank you all for continuing to help with this. So according to the legislation the criteria for being a Protected SCV are either/or as in you don't need to have all 3 - you just need to fit one of the criteria. Husband wasn't in Australia on 26 Feb 2001 and wasn't certified as protected before 2004, but he was in australia for a 12 month period in the 2 years before 26/02/01. We have been told as he fits this one criteria he is definitely an eligible New Zealand citizen, which suggests from what you say that we should be able to apply for my Partner visa with both of us still here. I contacted a Alan again today so will see what he says and let you all know. There's obviously a lot of fine print to wade through on this
If your husband had spent 12 months in Australia between 26 February 1999 and the date he left in 2000 then, yes, he would be a ENZC.

In order to sponsor you for a subclass 309/100 Partner visa "an Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen sponsors must usually live in Australia." Whether this has any practical effect on your husband's ability to sponsor you is debatable. I'm informed that Partner visas being processed through London are being assessed almost as soon as they are lodged. Providing you frontload your application with medicals and police checks then if your husband was to go on ahead of you then it's unlikely that you would apart for more than a month or so.