Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very Last Minute Flights????

Very Last Minute Flights????

Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:26 pm
Starting the long wait...

Didigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant future
Default Very Last Minute Flights????

I am tearing my hair out trying to find reasonable flights to "anywhere" in OZ so that we can validate our visas.

The prices just seem to be staying pretty high with very little fluctuation (I have been searching since February). Our biggest problem is that we need to go in the summer holidays and due to an important family wedding slap bang in the middle of the hols we are pretty restricted on dates to get the longest break over there.

Has anyone any experience of buying flights very, very last minute, a week, several days before - or even the day of departure (don't know if this can be done).

As always your comments are appreciated

Didi x
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice
Default Re: Very Last Minute Flights????

Originally Posted by Didigriff
I am tearing my hair out trying to find reasonable flights to "anywhere" in OZ so that we can validate our visas.

The prices just seem to be staying pretty high with very little fluctuation (I have been searching since February). Our biggest problem is that we need to go in the summer holidays and due to an important family wedding slap bang in the middle of the hols we are pretty restricted on dates to get the longest break over there.

Has anyone any experience of buying flights very, very last minute, a week, several days before - or even the day of departure (don't know if this can be done).

As always your comments are appreciated

Didi x
Have not flown that last minute, all I know is based on personal experince. which is thr flights tend to go up not down the later you leave it. Last christmas flights went up approx £500(for 5 of us) because we waited till a month before we were due to fly. sorry I can't be more positive. perhaps somebody else will come along with better info.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:54 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Try:
www.leestravel.com and check out their offers.
Good luck
J x
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:00 pm
Starting the long wait...

Didigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant futureDidigriff has a brilliant future

Thanks guys

I have heard that flights go up but I am hoping against hope that the airlines decide to sell them off cheaper closer to the departure datejust to get "bums on seats".

I really hope this is the case otherwise we will end up spending a large proportion of our hard earned cash on travel rather than on our intended move.

Cheers anyway.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

It seems to work leaving it until last minute on charter flights to get cheaper deals but on scheduled flights the first seats they sell are the cheapest and get more expensive the more they sell.

Good luck with the search.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Didigriff
I have heard that flights go up but I am hoping against hope that the airlines decide to sell them off cheaper closer to the departure datejust to get "bums on seats".
Not to put too much of a dampener on your hopes but over the last few years most airlines have reduced capacity to Australia - especially to everywhere other than Sydney - hence the tendency for prices to rise rather than fall nearer the departure date.

Keep hunting however, you may be lucky!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

when do you need to validate by? july and august flight prices are pretty high
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

SheilaClare is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to continue along the same line, but in our experience travelling in the last 10 years (visiting brother and validating visa's) that it's always worked out cheaper to book at least 6 months in advance, if you need to do certain dates. So we know what are costs are going to be we've already booked our flights to go for good in December.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Every now and then, I check with Emirates own website for the price of 'fairly' last minute flights..say 10 days notice and they seem quite cheap from Glasgow...I have not checked today yet...that reminds me....
Anyone else do this fantasist flights checking with OCD like compulsion...?
Only me?
HKA
x
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Every now and then, I check with Emirates own website for the price of 'fairly' last minute flights..say 10 days notice and they seem quite cheap from Glasgow...I have not checked today yet...that reminds me....
Anyone else do this fantasist flights checking with OCD like compulsion...?
Only me?
HKA
x
I do this too. Not just flights though, hols, food shopping and shoes!!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Have you tried booking a package holiday to somewhere in Asia and then getting a flight from there?

My brother does then when going to Mexico City, books a package to Cancun stays 1 night then gets an internal flight to Mexico City and then returns to Cancun the day before the flight. He went about 2 months ago and paid £270 for 14 nights hol in Cancun then £50 for internal flights. I now Mexico is cheaper but could be an option.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

kazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found that looking at the airlines websites directly (Emirates) appears to be cheaper for last minute flights than looking at sites such as Ebookers or Expedia! For last minute flights (end of June), Emirates were about £200 cheaper!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:54 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe try what poster #11 suggests and have a look at airasia.com (Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast) and tigerairways.com (Singapore to Darwin/Melbourne)

I found;
2 x Adults and 2 x Children, Birmingham - Singapore Return 18th - 27th July
3200 quid incl taxes etc. (KLM)

2 x Adults and 2 x Children, Singapore to Darwin Return 19th - 26th July
725 quid incl taxes etc. (tigerairways.com)

Still 4000 quid!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Try Etihad Airways http://www.etihadairways.com/etihada...atewaypage.htm

Sometimes they have great prices, sometimes not. They are a very nice airline too.

Good Luck.

Mikey
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Sorry but I have also to agree that flights go up not down closer to the departure date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.