Reload this Page >

A Very Large family moving to Aussie

A Very Large family moving to Aussie

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Lots of us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Very Large family moving to Aussie

Hi ALL,
My husband and I and our very large family of twelve (Yes twelve) children are moving to Victoria (Melbourne Suburbs).

We are arriving on the 15th of November and need to arrange some accommodation. We are going to be buying a house but need to find somewhere to live for about 12 months.

Does anyone have any ideas.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Very Large family moving to Aussie

Originally Posted by Lots of us
Hi ALL,
My husband and I and our very large family of twelve (Yes twelve) children are moving to Victoria (Melbourne Suburbs).

We are arriving on the 15th of November and need to arrange some accommodation. We are going to be buying a house but need to find somewhere to live for about 12 months.

Hi Lots of us and welcome to BE

I'm afraid I can't help with the home search - what size property are you looking for? I take it being so close, you have sorted temporary accommodation for your arrival?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of house do you need to cope with 12 kids ?!

Even two per room means 6 bedrooms, plus one for you. That's not a house, its an hotel.

No idea how you deal with that sized accommodation problem - just as long as you are a long way from me! I'm somehow thinking rental agents wouldn't be too happy either.

In fact, buying an hotel might not be a bad idea !
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:45 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
What kind of house do you need to cope with 12 kids ?!

Even two per room means 6 bedrooms, plus one for you. That's not a house, its an hotel.

No idea how you deal with that sized accommodation problem - just as long as you are a long way from me! I'm somehow thinking rental agents wouldn't be too happy either.

In fact, buying an hotel might not be a bad idea !
It depends on the ages of the kids - I only had 3, but they all shared a bedroom - bunkbeds and a single - (even though we had a 4 bedroom house) until the eldest was about 10.

I hasten to add that was their choice.

So long as the rooms are a decent size and the gender of the kids works it right, you could get a family of 14 in a 4-5 bedroomed house, at a push.

OP, what size house do you have at present? Presumably you've already sorted out your immediate temporary accommodation - your best bet then is to work out what sort of area suits you and your needs and then look for rentals there.

Domain.com.au and realestate.com.au are two sites that list rentals - there are bound to be others.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

12 kids

We thought it was a big deal moving here with our 3 year old son, never mid another 11 on top of that!

Good luck with it all !
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking to live? How many rooms do you need? Do you have a budget?

And welcome to BE
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Lots of us is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are used to squeezing into properties. We would be quite happy with a 5 bedroom house in a nice area.

Only problems is we do not know where the nice and not so nice areas are in the suburbs.

We are also looking for some accommodation for when we arrive on the 15th as ours has just cancelled on us.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We are used to squeezing into properties. We would be quite happy with a 5 bedroom house in a nice area.

Only problems is we do not know where the nice and not so nice areas are in the suburbs.

We are also looking for some accommodation for when we arrive on the 15th as ours has just cancelled on us.
I don't know Melbourne at all to advise on suburbs, but with your current situation you could have a look at Stayz, Homeaway and Airbnb for immediate accommodation to see if there is anything available and save you having to find hotels. Hopefully someone else may be able to give you some advice on suburbs.

You could also try the search function (in the peach toolbar if you haven't found it) to see if you can find any previous recommendations
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Your budget will determine where you live. Have you work lined up? If yes where is this based?

Melbourne is a large city and at the moment it is like saying what are the nice suburbs in London!!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ALL,

Can't help with your query but just wanted to pop by and welcome you to the forum. I'm sure our other members will be able to help with some tips on areas to look at. Best of luck with your move.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, well realestate.com.au will allow you to search on the bigger properties. I would probably suggest the newer, outer, suburbs - on the basis that these tend to have more of the double storey McMansions, and thus more space. You will however have to pay for 5 real bedrooms - and as I say, rental agents may blanch at the idea of 12 kids running amok - so probably best not to tell them if you can avoid it!

As for good vs bad - there are a number of old threads here that go into detail of people's views on certain areas - it's not hard to make a list of the usual candidates to avoid. Otherwise people's views vary on what makes a 'good' area. Some will opt for a small, highly priced and nicely renovated (inside only) place near the CBD (and a coffee shop), whereas others (like me) really don't see the attraction and don't mind somewhere where you need to drive. 'Family-orientated' tends to mean suburbs though.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:23 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

With 12 children I would not recommend inner suburbs as you will need lots of space outside the house as well as inside.

What sort of work does the breadwinner do (I'm assuming you don't both have paying jobs with a family that size)? How long a commute is considered reasonable to and from work? I would be looking at somewhere on the fringes of suburbia - Werribee, Dandenong, Sunbury for example - where you are much more likely to get a place with a large block, or near public open spaces.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ALL,

Hi and welcome This one looks good, but I don't know Melbourne suburbs so someone else may be able to comment. Unfortunately it's not available until 25 November but if you could get something for the 10 days? 5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, $485 per week http://www.realestateview.com.au/ren...l-6291889.html

Might be a good idea to check out the entire website, there are 5 bedroom houses from around $250 a week if you don't mind being 50km out of Melbourne.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 4th 2013 at 11:39 pm. Reason: more info
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi and welcome This one looks good, but I don't know Melbourne suburbs so someone else may be able to help. 5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, $485 per week http://www.realestateview.com.au/ren...l-6291889.html
Mill Park is quite near me. Quite a nice suburb, loads of parks, shopping etc in area. Good commute to city and freeways x
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. We're in Melbourne so feel free to ask any questions. I agree with some of the previous comments that you're probably going to need to look at the outer suburbs to get enough space. If you look on www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au and search areas like Taylors Lakes, Point Cook, Mill Park (as above), possibly Cranbourne and Frankston if you don't mind being a bit further out. Much will of course depend on whereabouts in the city you want to be and what your budget is.

Feel free to ask about any suburbs, I know a little about most of the areas and others here will know more.

Good luck with the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.