US V AUS dollar

Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default US V AUS dollar

Whats with the rubbish Aus dollar rate compared with the US dollar.

I was all prepared to buy some stuff from US online and now had to put off as the Aus dollar is so rubbish.

currently 100US dollars = 160 AUS dollars

Why is the US dollar doing better when they are having a crisis?
Will the Aus dollar do any better soon? I wanted to buy a kiln from USA, but holding off hoping the rate improves.

Gems
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US V AUS dollar

I suspect the ROTW is waking up to just how precarious is the Australian dollar, in contrast to all the hubristic "She'll be OK, we're not like the rest" attitudes.

The AU$ has been kept high because of commodities and high interest rates, and both are nearing the cliff edge. Hence............
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems

I was all prepared to buy some stuff from US online and now had to put off as the Aus dollar is so rubbish.

Will the Aus dollar do any better soon? I wanted to buy a kiln from USA, but holding off hoping the rate improves.

Gems
Rightly or wrongly the USD is seen as a safe haven in times of uncertainty. The extent of the impending US recession will show us whether this will continue or not. Anything can happen.

I buy a lot of stuff from the US. The exchange rate at the moment is a killer. I've been buying some of my radio control stuff in Australia recently as price increases have not yet filtered through for older stock. On Saturday I bought an RC car for my son for Christmas. It cost AUD270. I bought it now as they are saying that the new stock due in next month will be at least another AUD50 more.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Gems
If your kiln is electric I wouldn't bother buying it from US. The power is 110 in the US vs the 240 here. You're better off buying from either UK or one locally made.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

The place I was ordering from can supply correct voltage for Australia. Its very big company so do them for overseas market too.
Getting it from Australia and its twice the price, and UK is not much better.

Even with current exchange rate its about $500 cheaper than buying in OZ. However if I had bought it a couple of months ago I would have got a bargain.
Worried about buying it now and the exchange changes, meaning Ive paid too much.

Is exchange likely to improve anytime soon?

Gems
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The place I was ordering from can supply correct voltage for Australia. Its very big company so do them for overseas market too.
Getting it from Australia and its twice the price, and UK is not much better.

Even with current exchange rate its about $500 cheaper than buying in OZ. However if I had bought it a couple of months ago I would have got a bargain.
Worried about buying it now and the exchange changes, meaning Ive paid too much.

Is exchange likely to improve anytime soon?

Gems

Oh just buy it! You can't spend your whole life worrying about things like that or you will never get anything done!

Though, things may change after the US election. Some pundits are suggesting that the AU$ is being sacrificed at the alter to support the US$ so that it doesn't collapse before the election. I have no idea as to the veracity of these statements, but it may be worth hanging on for a week or so.

I'm guessing that none of that was that helpful! Sorry!

S