Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unsure if makes Canada or Australia my home (got Dual PR)

Unsure if makes Canada or Australia my home (got Dual PR)

Old Nov 13th 2014, 5:35 am
Just Joined

sidhuinoslo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unsure if makes Canada or Australia my home (got Dual PR)

Hi All

Please forgive me if this forum is not the right one for this question to ask otherwise kindly direct me to the right one if wrong. Only I needs is your valuable Suggestion

I have attained both Residences (Australia Citizen and Canada PR). and Currently living in Australia for 3.5 years and working in MNC as permanent job with median earning about 60K annually. As a safe side I also applied for Canadian PR in few years ago due to different circumstances during back those days and recently been awarded Canadian PR and now am bit confused if this is good move to go ahead to Canada. I am Network Engineer by profession with Post Graduation IT degree from Australia. I am having experience of about 5 Years as Network Engineer. I have my close relatives in Toronto though and
have no issues living there to start with. So my questions are:
How long will take to bring myself on Track as par I am in Australia....the similar JOB currently have?
Will Canadian Climate make me repent on my decision as compare Australia?
What I am going to loose and win that way?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
<snip>

Last edited by old.sparkles; Nov 13th 2014 at 7:14 am. Reason: link removed - ? point
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure if makes Canada or Australia my home (got Dual PR)

Originally Posted by sidhuinoslo
Hi All

Please forgive me if this forum is not the right one for this question to ask otherwise kindly direct me to the right one if wrong. Only I needs is your valuable Suggestion

I have attained both Residences (Australia Citizen and Canada PR). and Currently living in Australia for 3.5 years and working in MNC as permanent job with median earning about 60K annually. As a safe side I also applied for Canadian PR in few years ago due to different circumstances during back those days and recently been awarded Canadian PR and now am bit confused if this is good move to go ahead to Canada. I am Network Engineer by profession with Post Graduation IT degree from Australia. I am having experience of about 5 Years as Network Engineer. I have my close relatives in Toronto though and
have no issues living there to start with. So my questions are:
How long will take to bring myself on Track as par I am in Australia....the similar JOB currently have?
Will Canadian Climate make me repent on my decision as compare Australia?
What I am going to loose and win that way?

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
<snip>
Hello, welcome to the Forum

The only suggestion I can give you is to think about the good and the bad points of living in each country.

For work, you'll need to do some research about jobs in your field in Canada. Are there lots of jobs advertised? Is the salary a good one, in comparison to the cost of housing in Canada and other expenses? How do the average salaries there compare to what you're making in Australia, compared with the Australian cost of living?

I'm guessing that having family in Toronto would be a big plus for you, unless you don't like these family members very much!

Think about the weather where you are living now, and then think about the weather in Canada. Is there any part of that which you really dislike - do you hate very hot weather, or very cold weather?

It's a big decision for you, but unfortunately no one can really help you with it. Just think all of the aspects through carefully, and in the end - decide to live where you think you will be the happiest. Best of luck
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes as above, this is really only something you can decide. Are you happy and settled in Australia? Or can you take it or leave it? What does your heart tell you?

We thought about Canada at one point. The pro was better proximity to the UK (versus Australia) and also that we knew we would enjoy exploring the North American continent. The main con was that we didn't want the harsher winter.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

agree with all of the above two posts, but wanted to add a little note about the Canadian weather.

We were visiting family in Canada (Toronto) at the beginning of this, just in time for the insane crazy polar vortex. The 'best' (worst) day of the vortex saw temps of -26c with a wind chill of -40c. (and we were at Niagara falls the day the American side froze. AMAZING!)

What I was absolutely gobsmacked about was the way in which the truly terrible shitty weather didn't seem to stop anything going on! The buildings were well insulated and warm, the roads were cleared, and everyone was just going about as if it was nothing unusual. Downtown Toronto also has the benefit of the PATH (don't know what's in other cities, or if there's anything similar), and it was amazing to watch the workers pour out of their buildings into the PATH for lunch, without having to put on any outdoor clothes.

Sure it's cold and snowy for ages.... but it's cold and snowy with amazing scenery and an infrastructure that is well equipped to cope with it.