Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlocked UK Iphone not working in Oz - Any Ideas/Recommendations??

Unlocked UK Iphone not working in Oz - Any Ideas/Recommendations??

Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:46 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unlocked UK Iphone not working in Oz - Any Ideas/Recommendations??

My Iphone (the first/original model) was unlocked in the UK by A.N. Other to work on the Orange Network, since arriving in Oz it has picked up the Optus Network and I can text using my original orange SIM card, however it does not ring, just vibrates. I have put my husbands Australian Vodaphone SIM card in and a Australian Virgin SIM card in and when you go to the keypad and press any number is closes down back to the front screen, also it will not ring with either of these SIM cards in the little central ticker just goes round and round.

This may not mean anything to anyone but just wondering if anyone has any ideas or knows where I might get help, I am in S E Queensland.

I have rang the apple store at Robina, they won't touch it because it was purchased in UK and because someone else has already done something to it.

I have spoken to a local shop "All phones" who said my only option was to post it to some unknown person in Burpengarry (never to be seen again)

Any helpful comments would be most appreciated so I can throw this crap Samsung phone in the bin
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlocked UK Iphone not working in Oz - Any Ideas/Recommendations??

Here in Melb at South Melb market is a great bloke who runs a phone stall- he is always up to date on what can and cannot be done.

Is there a market near you which might have someone offering a similar service....it is too informal to be anywhere other than a market.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
My Iphone (the first/original model) was unlocked in the UK by A.N. Other to work on the Orange Network, since arriving in Oz it has picked up the Optus Network and I can text using my original orange SIM card, however it does not ring, just vibrates. I have put my husbands Australian Vodaphone SIM card in and a Australian Virgin SIM card in and when you go to the keypad and press any number is closes down back to the front screen, also it will not ring with either of these SIM cards in the little central ticker just goes round and round.

This may not mean anything to anyone but just wondering if anyone has any ideas or knows where I might get help, I am in S E Queensland.

I have rang the apple store at Robina, they won't touch it because it was purchased in UK and because someone else has already done something to it.

I have spoken to a local shop "All phones" who said my only option was to post it to some unknown person in Burpengarry (never to be seen again)

Any helpful comments would be most appreciated so I can throw this crap Samsung phone in the bin
Go to elizabeth street, behind the myer centre.

Behind this truck you will find a phone shop - they'll fix it.

ps- that truck might not be there on the day of your visit.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:25 am
ABCDiamond

If the one at 81 Elizabeth Street, behind the truck, can't help, this one may be more local:

Audiocom Electronics
79 Redland Bay Road
Capalaba, QLD 4157

T: 07 3390 1974
No guarantees of course, but worth nipping in and asking.

Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds like a software problem, not anything to do with the unlock.

Plug it in to iTunes, and restore it. That may sort out your issues.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:49 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit

hmm. that sounds a bit too easy and too sensible... it might just work.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Seriously, you'd be amazed.

99% of firmware issues with the iPhone, can be sorted by just doing a restore.

Make sure you back the phone up before you do it, and then restore from back up when it's reloaded the firmware back on.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:17 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I too had issues with my unlocked iPhone when I arrived, and o2 unlocked mine for me legitimately b4 we left. As explained above, simply plugging it into my iTunes solved it, it did some sort of 'carrier' thing. However urs only being unlocked by AN Other I'd be careful doing too many software jobbies on ur iTunes incase it updates and needs unlocked again.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by xzibit

Excuse my ignorance, will restore not lock it again or is that if you update it sorry but I really shouldn't be allowed to have technical things cos I have no idea
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I too had issues with my unlocked iPhone when I arrived, and o2 unlocked mine for me legitimately b4 we left. As explained above, simply plugging it into my iTunes solved it, it did some sort of 'carrier' thing. However urs only being unlocked by AN Other I'd be careful doing too many software jobbies on ur iTunes incase it updates and needs unlocked again.
I know, this is what I have always been told to be very careful not to do, which is why I don't do very much with it
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:38 am
Trust me.... I'm a nurse.

Nurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really nice

The iPhone sold in Australia is a 2100MHz handset and will provide you with access to 3G services only on a 3G 2100MHz Network e.g Optus. Outside these areas, you will fall back to a GSM/GPRS network. The iPhone is also not a dual band handset. The UK iphone is a 900MHz handset and may not operate in the 2100MHz range where a dual band handset is required to switch between frequencies. In short, it's more complicated than firmware, it's a simple hardware compatibility issue where Apple limit the options of iphone users to keep them loyal to their brand and a certain network in which ever country they purchase the handset.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nurse-Tom
The iPhone sold in Australia is a 2100MHz handset and will provide you with access to 3G services only on a 3G 2100MHz Network e.g Optus. Outside these areas, you will fall back to a GSM/GPRS network. The iPhone is also not a dual band handset. The UK iphone is a 900MHz handset and may not operate in the 2100MHz range where a dual band handset is required to switch between frequencies. In short, it's more complicated than firmware, it's a simple hardware compatibility issue where Apple limit the options of iphone users to keep them loyal to their brand and a certain network in which ever country they purchase the handset.
LOL!!

Don't listen to any of that twaddle, the iPhone sold in the UK is that exact same spec as sold in Oz, as sold in the US, as sold in France.

Louise, no the handset won't relock when you restore it, iPhones are unlocked by your network requesting Apple to unlock the IMEI number, and once it's unlocked, it's unlocked for good.

When you connect it, it will probably ask if you want to update carrier settings, to which click yes, and that may just solve the issue. If not, do a full restore.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:41 am
ABCDiamond

Australia
Apple iPhone devices are 2100Mhz compatible but are not 900Mhz compatible.
http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/...pare/index.htm

UK
Bandwidths GSM 850/900/1800/1900
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...3gs-16gb-black

Does that mean anything to anyone ?

The new iPhone 4 is 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz in Australia

Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

There may have been some confusion here somewhere.

The original iPhone (which the OP has) is 2G compatible only. It doesn't have 3G capabilities. Therefore will only work on a 2G network like Telstra's 900/1800mhz GSM network.

The OP's phone is GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 compatible only.

The newer iPhones, 3G, 3GS, and 4 have the following;
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

And will work on all networks 2G and 3G.

So sorry if I called what Nurse-Tom was saying "twaddle" I just think there was a confusion the the OP's phone was 3G compatible, when it isn't.

All iPhone's sold worldwide are the same, and will work throughout the world.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:06 pm
ABCDiamond

I am still confused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.