Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University costs on a 457

University costs on a 457

Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University costs on a 457

SO we have been here in OZ for over 2 years.
My son is at University and the cost is killing us.
We are about to apply for a 186.
But wondered fi anyone knew if the university would accept the earlier stages of this process or does it have to be fully completed.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 5:20 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University costs on a 457

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
SO we have been here in OZ for over 2 years.
My son is at University and the cost is killing us.
We are about to apply for a 186.
But wondered fi anyone knew if the university would accept the earlier stages of this process or does it have to be fully completed.
We managed to get our PR before Eldest started Uni, but were still on a 457 during the application stage - his uni would only accept proof of the visa grant before they'd move him from the international student application to the domestic student application - I'd imagine it would be the same for most unis but you'd be better off asking them, tbh. They may have some transitional arrangements you could take advantage of.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure you have to have the visa in your hot and clammy little hand before they will change but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 7:53 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Just had another thought, if a visa grant were imminent, could you not defer your son til next semester?

That'd give you another six months to get PR.

I know that could be quite disruptive as your son is already in Uni but I know how much more expensive it is to be an International Student rather than a domestic one
Old Jan 26th 2014, 7:56 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Just had another thought, if a visa grant were imminent, could you not defer your son til next semester?

That'd give you another six months to get PR.

I know that could be quite disruptive as your son is already in Uni but I know how much more expensive it is to be an International Student rather than a domestic one
If you are no longer a full time student wouldn't that effect the definition of being "dependent'?
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:20 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
If you are no longer a full time student wouldn't that effect the definition of being "dependent'?
I'm fairly sure that Eldestchild was in between High School and uni when we applied for our PR visa (he started Uni second semester) and we just demonstrated his dependent status with his bank statements, our bank statements showing us giving him money and explained he was waiting for a Uni place in second semester.

Whether the same could be achieved by the OP's son since he's already started Uni (so a slightly different situation) I have no idea.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

RURUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Not necessarily.