Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unemployment rate

Unemployment rate

Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Apita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unemployment rate

Hi Guys, just a short question, is anyone having an idea of the realistic unemployment rate in Oz?

The ABS is at 5.7% (which is the ILO method) and I saw Roy Morgans rate at 10.7% for fulltime and a little more for the part time numbers which brings the average at around 12%, which I think is huge also known the fact that Australia has more subbies who are not counted in in these rates.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment rate

Originally Posted by Apita
Hi Guys, just a short question, is anyone having an idea of the realistic unemployment rate in Oz?

The ABS is at 5.7% (which is the ILO method) and I saw Roy Morgans rate at 10.7% for fulltime and a little more for the part time numbers which brings the average at around 12%, which I think is huge also known the fact that Australia has more subbies who are not counted in in these rates.
It is what is is - why the question?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they want to paint a rosey picture, could be political?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 10:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If the gov. says it's 5.7% then it's 5.7%. Australia like many other nations, including the UK, defines unemployment as per the International Labour Organization

The beauty of having an official rate is that it's 'official' and not just someone's opinion - in this case Roy Morgan (whoever the f**k that is)
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for figures on underemployment / underutilisation the ABS also publishes those:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]%202013
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:21 am
Just Joined

abc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud of

Cannot trust those figures. Based on your own experience is the best.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Apita is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if the PIIGS countries would use this ILO method, the average unemployment rate in Europe would be around 8.5%, but it isn't!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
in this case Roy Morgan (whoever the f**k that is)
Maybe this will tell you something:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/52...3-201311070222

It's a well established Australian research institute. But maybe yhe ABC link will give you some more confidence;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-1...ction=business

The Government also didn't spy on Indonesia and WiKi lekas doesn't exists, so is eric Snowden.....
Old Nov 29th 2013, 12:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Well if the PIIGS countries would use this ILO method, the average unemployment rate in Europe would be around 8.5%, but it isn't!

Maybe this will tell you something:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/52...3-201311070222

It's a well established Australian research institute. But maybe yhe ABC link will give you some more confidence;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-1...ction=business

The Government also didn't spy on Indonesia and WiKi lekas doesn't exists, so is eric Snowden.....
I don't understand what you want to say but you sound like you have an axe to grind, or are just trying to start an argument - could you be clearer which it is
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a government statistic then it will be a fudged to illustrate whatever the govt wants people to believe.

The "conspiracy theorists" were proven correct with the pre election employment figures in the US where the figures given are now acknowledged to have been faked for electoral advantage:

http://nypost.com/2013/11/18/census-...n-jobs-report/

Current US unemployment stated as 7.3% but using the same methodology as from the 1990's it's 24%: http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate...loyment-charts

Doubtless the Australian figures are similarly massaged and "seasonally adjusted" to make everything in the garden look rosy.

Same with inflation, I've been here 10 or so years and everything has at least doubled in that time - fuel, houses, rent, beer, my wages and yet the inflation rate is supposed to be 2.2% - yeah, pull the other one!
Old Nov 30th 2013, 5:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
If it's a government statistic then it will be a fudged to illustrate whatever the govt wants people to believe.

The "conspiracy theorists" were proven correct with the pre election employment figures in the US where the figures given are now acknowledged to have been faked for electoral advantage:

http://nypost.com/2013/11/18/census-...n-jobs-report/

Current US unemployment stated as 7.3% but using the same methodology as from the 1990's it's 24%: http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate...loyment-charts

Doubtless the Australian figures are similarly massaged and "seasonally adjusted" to make everything in the garden look rosy.

Same with inflation, I've been here 10 or so years and everything has at least doubled in that time - fuel, houses, rent, beer, my wages and yet the inflation rate is supposed to be 2.2% - yeah, pull the other one!

i think the term you are looking for is "lies, damn lies and statistics"..........