Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unemployed in Brisbane

Unemployed in Brisbane

Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed in Brisbane

You're 57 and quite simply like it not not unless you're also Elle that's you're first problem.

Australia likes 'em young ---21 and fully qualified so they don't have to spend a zac on education and training and school and health-- etc , they're meaner than a krauts pocket, and by the time the freshness has worn off and they've flogged the guts out of them usually by the time they're 45, mayhap 50 if they're particular resilient, it's all over

Out with the old and in with some freshies. that's the go in good ole Aus.

All is not completely rooted though so take heart , .

You just have to bite the bullet and be prepared to do the jobs that the Ausies don't want or just can't do that you can.

Here's a couple of ideas of the cuff.

There are always telemarketing companys looking for Tsales and canvasing people-- all the time , it can be a tough work environment by and large but if you find you can hack it you can earn well.

Perhaps phone around the private aged care facility's and see if they have any work opportunities , ask them what they need and if you can do it and like the sound of it tell them so and ask for an interview or at least the contact you should be talking to.

If the doors aren't opening , kick a few , see what happens , worst thing you're going to get slugged with is a no.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
You're 57 and quite simply like it not not unless you're also Elle that's you're first problem.

Australia likes 'em young ---21 and fully qualified so they don't have to spend a zac on education and training and school and health-- etc , they're meaner than a krauts pocket, and by the time the freshness has worn off and they've flogged the guts out of them usually by the time they're 45, mayhap 50 if they're particular resilient, it's all over

Gosh, you must have had some pretty shitty jobs in equally shitty workplaces - the Australia you're talking about bears no resemblance to the one I live in.

If you've been kicked out of jobs, perhaps the attitude you demonstrate in your 'Elle' comment may have something to do with that....sexist dinosaurs definitely don't go down well in Australian workplaces

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 15th 2013 at 12:12 pm. Reason: correctly attributing quotes
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No agree with Basho. Aussie work places can be tough going in the area being discussed. At a certain age it pays to only go into a management role if at all possible. There is little knowledge of teamwork and experience often loses out to promoting younger people.

Don't think you get help when not having a job either. Any welfare like pension is means tested. More than a few bob in the bank or a partner working that's your bad luck. No cost to government.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

If you've worked as a PA before could you maybe look to take on some typing jobs, even part time or just per assignment? Not sure how it works over there, however, what about contacting universities asking if they have student notice boards or like to put up an advert? May not be much initially, however could lead somewhere you never know.

Or, if you haven't already done so, sharpen the CV up, produce a short, succinct positive cover letter and contact companies direct, post or email or handed in person. Say you'll do reception cover, admin work etc.., whatever it takes to get the foot in the door. Do a good job and might lead to bigger things once they realise how capable you are.

It will most likely, as you've found, be a hard slog. I feel for you, it's hard to keep yourself motivated and not take it personally. Try to keep positive and remember you are a capable, experienced person with still a lot to give to this world!

Sincerely wish you all the best and fingers crossed something comes up for you.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Gosh, you must have had some pretty shitty jobs in equally shitty workplaces - the Australia you're talking about bears no resemblance to the one I live in.

If you've been kicked out of jobs, perhaps the attitude you demonstrate in your 'Elle' comment may have something to do with that....sexist dinosaurs definitely don't go down well in Australian workplaces
Your end comments are illustrative of the type of arrogant opionated snotty little deadshits I left England to be rid of .

I've worked here since 74 and I've had some good jobs that were shitty and shitty jobs that were good and FYI kicked out of none of them.

If you don't think sex sells/influences I'd suggest you do a little further work on your education.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 15th 2013 at 12:13 pm. Reason: correctly attributing quotes
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:54 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
...sexist dinosaurs definitely don't go down well in Australian workplaces
Your kiddin right? I find Auz very sexist!

I've walked in to a number of places and asked if I'm lost, interviews where I've been told "you know there's men work here and sometimes they can be a bit rough, swearing and things" it's worse if your going for the more professional jobs, admins and stuff well you know it's more suited to the girls!
Makes me f**kin fuming!
Old Jul 15th 2013, 11:09 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add my voice to those who say Australia is ageist.

Honestly, unless you're on a career path in your fifties, finding a new one is just about impossible imo.

If you have experience dealing with people and PA-ing, I wonder if you might be interested in a Dr receptionist type thing? I appreciate you might be over-qualified, but if your qualifications don't count here, that might be something you could do to make a dollar. You could possibly do a TAFE course or something to give you the necessary piece of paper and refresh your experience.

Queensland is particularly hard hit for jobs at the moment. About 6.5% unemployment I think.

Good luck in finding peace and prosperity.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I feel your pain! Currently working in UK away from family as was unable to get decent work in Brisbane. 20+ years IT (usually told too 'experienced' rather than too old but same thing!)
It is desperately hard not to get demoralised. I agree re:comments on degree by the way - this is something I was considering, but quite frankly my lack of skills/training experience not the issue (have 2 degrees). Not sure what to suggest, but be assured that there are many of us from Brisbane going through the same thing. It sucks, but I will come back to Bris to see kids thru school, then return to UK eventually. So many capable people (mostly Ozzies) I know have had to leave Brisbane for work,
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Your end comments are illustrative of the type of arrogant opionated snotty little deadshits I left England to be rid of .

I've worked here since 74 and I've had some good jobs that were shitty and shitty jobs that were good and FYI kicked out of none of them.

If you don't think sex sells/influences I'd suggest you do a little further work on your education.
You probably would have done far better if you'd looked like Brad Pitt
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice

Sorry I dont have good news but I have found its very much who you know here as far as getting a job...my wife is a social worker with an honours degree and she hasnt even had a reply back from the 20 or so jobs she applied for.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland
but I have found its very much who you know here as far as getting a job
That's the same in most countries though. Certainly the case in my field in the UK
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:27 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

All is not completely rooted though so take heart , .

You just have to bite the bullet and be prepared to do the jobs that the Ausies don't want or just can't do that you can.

Here's a couple of ideas of the cuff.

There are always telemarketing companys looking for Tsales and canvasing people-- all the time , it can be a tough work environment by and large but if you find you can hack it you can earn well.

Perhaps phone around the private aged care facility's and see if they have any work opportunities , ask them what they need and if you can do it and like the sound of it tell them so and ask for an interview or at least the contact you should be talking to.

If the doors aren't opening , kick a few , see what happens , worst thing you're going to get slugged with is a no.
Originally Posted by the troubadour
No agree with Basho. Aussie work places can be tough going in the area being discussed. At a certain age it pays to only go into a management role if at all possible. There is little knowledge of teamwork and experience often loses out to promoting younger people.

Don't think you get help when not having a job either. Any welfare like pension is means tested. More than a few bob in the bank or a partner working that's your bad luck. No cost to government.
Originally Posted by Kelli28
Your kiddin right? I find Auz very sexist!

I've walked in to a number of places and asked if I'm lost, interviews where I've been told "you know there's men work here and sometimes they can be a bit rough, swearing and things" it's worse if your going for the more professional jobs, admins and stuff well you know it's more suited to the girls!
Makes me f**kin fuming!
Originally Posted by brissybee
I'll add my voice to those who say Australia is ageist.

Honestly, unless you're on a career path in your fifties, finding a new one is just about impossible imo.

If you have experience dealing with people and PA-ing, I wonder if you might be interested in a Dr receptionist type thing? I appreciate you might be over-qualified, but if your qualifications don't count here, that might be something you could do to make a dollar. You could possibly do a TAFE course or something to give you the necessary piece of paper and refresh your experience.

Queensland is particularly hard hit for jobs at the moment. About 6.5% unemployment I think.

Good luck in finding peace and prosperity.
Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I feel your pain! Currently working in UK away from family as was unable to get decent work in Brisbane. 20+ years IT (usually told too 'experienced' rather than too old but same thing!)
It is desperately hard not to get demoralised. I agree re:comments on degree by the way - this is something I was considering, but quite frankly my lack of skills/training experience not the issue (have 2 degrees). Not sure what to suggest, but be assured that there are many of us from Brisbane going through the same thing. It sucks, but I will come back to Bris to see kids thru school, then return to UK eventually. So many capable people (mostly Ozzies) I know have had to leave Brisbane for work,
Got to agree with these people. Australia (IMHO) is sexist, ageist and discriminate where illness is concerned when it comes to the workplace. The other day there was a complaint on TV that a child had been refused to allow them to inject themselves with insulin as the stupid teacher didn't understand the kids insulin dependency and the need to inject. I can't count the times I've asked for diet coke for my mum as she's diabetic and have been told "we've run out of diet coke, will normal coke be OK"

Like Kelli said some companies even think women are only fit for admin work even when they are far better qualified than their male colleagues. I've been asked to clear the kitchen up and order cakes and biscuits while my male colleagues have NEVER been asked. Same with tea and coffee making. If you dare to comment you're seen as above your station. And this is the females as much as the males who will have a go

You only have to look at the adverts for Woolies where the "experts" are in their very early 20's or the Budget advert where the old geeza has an extremely young "wife" in the shower.

I've been in many a shop being served by a female and a fella walks in and she turns to ask if he needs help (while in the middle of serving me)

I don't think it's malicious - I think Australia hasn't had enough case law thrown at them for managers to think smarter and understand how to treat the workforce minorities.

Aus is a FANTASTIC place to live - but a SHITE place to work if you're in a minority group
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:52 am
Just Joined

sarahmcn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Luckyloop,
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time finding work. If you PM me I will be able to put you in touch with someone in Brisbane who might be able to help (although it's not in your chosen field of work).
I can't seem to PM you for some reason. Sarah
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:02 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the weight of the ageist Australia argument.. (in Brisbane) A family member working contracts ... very early 50's... was actually asked in a supposedly professional interview the other day when they planned "to retire".

I kid you not.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahmcn
Hi Luckyloop,
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time finding work. If you PM me I will be able to put you in touch with someone in Brisbane who might be able to help (although it's not in your chosen field of work).
I can't seem to PM you for some reason. Sarah
You need three posts in order to access the pm system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.