Unemployed

Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice
Default Re: Unemployed

Originally Posted by wardy2
thanks for that Jan, I think they are called Deta in qld, who refer you to TAFE and thats where our problem starts TAFE haven't got a clue

Will give these a ring though hopefully they will be more on the ball
Have you approached Skilling Solutions Qld
http://www.skillingsolutions.qld.gov.au/index.htm

They have been helping my OH with getting his aricraft maintenance qualifications recognised and I'm sure part of their remit is helping migrants. May be worth a try
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:06 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bonnie, have been into see them was there ages lol to be honest I knew more than here, she gave me some info that was a complete contradiction to what TAFE are saying.

As lovely as she was she really didnt have a clue We seem to fall into a skill category that crosses 2/3 diciplines so no one knows how to get us licensed.

good luck to your OH
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Thanks Bonnie, have been into see them was there ages lol to be honest I knew more than here, she gave me some info that was a complete contradiction to what TAFE are saying.

As lovely as she was she really didnt have a clue We seem to fall into a skill category that crosses 2/3 diciplines so no one knows how to get us licensed.

good luck to your OH
Sorry to hear that

I do sympathise - I've just managed to re-qualify as a solicitor over here -3 years after we arrived and at a cost of about $7000 :curse:
I had the same problem that I didn't fit any of their usual criteria and nobody seemed to know what I needed to do! It's so frustrating but I was lucky that I could still work although I couldn't call myself a solicitor.

Hopefully you'll find somebody in the know who can help you.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seasider
Cheers, all, it's much appreciated. xxx

I've been cagey about posting this but they rang me this morning and offered me the job! I haven't yet accepted - for a couple of reasons - but I've been chatting to my most sensible (and honest) friends all day and I'm almost decided.

I know they rang one of my referees this afternoon and he gave me a glowing report (honest too, I hope) although, when pressed for my weaknesses, said I don't suffer fools gladly. My potential boss apparently said, yes she said that herself yesterday. I did - those exact words.
Woo hooo congrats Seasider - have you taken up the offer?

Well done to Perksy too - wish I could try your approach

I had an interview yesterday but did not get the job........I did however get a completely honest appraisal of my performance, not something I enjoyed hearing but I think its taught me some valuable lessons.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:47 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

was it definitely just air con or did it include refrigeration, its just it seems not having the fridge for us is causing the problems

thanks again
Reading off the Certificate, it says...

"Level 2 Certificate in small commercial refrigeration and air conditioning systems"

We asked an Immigration lawyer and another person that deals with TRA or whichever it is now and were assured that recognition wasn't a problem and could be done in a matter of a few weeks...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:47 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

there lies our problem Dr who, OH has no training or experience in refrigeration he deals purely in pipe fitting of industrial pipelines for air con, oil, gas, steam, water, medical gases. He installs plant rooms, boilers and ventilation systems.

No on will recognise it as an independent trade away from fridge.

so we are buggered it seems could be our only option no is in pipe fitting but jobs seem a little thin on the ground, apparently most jobs dont get advertised you have to apply direct to companies.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:25 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

there lies our problem Dr who, OH has no training or experience in refrigeration he deals purely in pipe fitting of industrial pipelines for air con, oil, gas, steam, water, medical gases. He installs plant rooms, boilers and ventilation systems.

No on will recognise it as an independent trade away from fridge.

so we are buggered it seems could be our only option no is in pipe fitting but jobs seem a little thin on the ground, apparently most jobs dont get advertised you have to apply direct to companies.
But does he have any actual qualifications in the form of a certificate...? I'm sure you've been through everything but there's RPL...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:20 am
aka DORIS

yeah hes got city and guilds in HVAC, has his apprentice papers hes got certificates coming out of his ears but cant get ARTC because they dont recognise mechanical services plumbing, the building services authority dont recognise overseas qualifications and TaFE for the RPL have stopped talking to us because they dont know what course to put him on.

certificate 3 in plumbing teach mechanical services plumbing but they say he will have to sit every other component of course including roof plumbing, sanitary, drainage etc but that will take years, we have been told by one mechanical services company to do an apprenticeship because thats the easiest option

BSA want him to have certificate 3 in engineering before they will license him so we are trying to do that and do the refridgeration as a missing component for RPL but college wont return calls and we have been in to speak to RPL office but all they say is we have to have ARTC before we can do RPL but we cant get it

Last edited by wardy2; Mar 19th 2009 at 7:22 am.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:56 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

BSA want him to have certificate 3 in engineering before they will license him so we are trying to do that and do the refridgeration as a missing component for RPL but college wont return calls and we have been in to speak to RPL office but all they say is we have to have ARTC before we can do RPL but we cant get it
This may or may not help and I havent read all the messages, just the last page. Our job sat across a couple of categories and had a new BSA class. I wrote a document detailing how it was impossible to get the correct class for the work we carried out and submitted it to BSA plus to the relevant associations (master builders, sign association etc). Then I called up all the people I coudl lay my hands on over a couple of weeks - people in these associations and asked them for help.

Anyway, eventually the requirements for the license I needed were modified and although the route in was still a bit difficult, it at least meant we could get a license. I think it was a bit easier because it was a new class so they were still fine tuning it

nightmare I know
Vivienne
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:11 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=louH;7395642]Woo hooo congrats Seasider - have you taken up the offer?

Well done to Perksy too - wish I could try your approach

QUOTE]

Thankyou

Got to be honest I did feel a bit shy just approaching them without warning, but sometimes in life you have to be a bit cheeky daft. Just smile and be confident it works wonders! Good luck