"under God"

Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Delphi2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "under God"

Will it make any diffrence to choose not to say "under God" in Citizenship oath?

From this time forward, under God*,
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose Democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "under God"

Originally Posted by Delphi2
Will it make any diffrence to choose not to say "under God" in Citizenship oath?

From this time forward, under God*,
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose Democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.
They now have a religous oath and a non religous oath.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Delphi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WendyC
They now have a religous oath and a non religous oath.
Does that mean as a Religous I have to choose the religous oath?
or its still optional?! and will not affect my application
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It probably means that if it conflicts with your religion then you can take the non-religious oath. No it will not affect your application.

I'll try to find the link again so you can see for yourself
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Optional. You can choose whichever you like, you don't have to give a reason and it will not affect your application.

Make up your mind before you have your citizenship interview as you'll be asked which is your preference.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

You say the oath (under God) or the affirmation (without), doesn't matter which you choose, personal preference. At our Citizenship ceremony all the oaths were first (about 80%) and the affirmations came after (us).
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:00 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

"God" and "religion" are 2 completely separate things!

Personally, I believe in God, but choose not to affiliate myself with any religion whatsoever.

IMO, religion has always caused more harm than good.
More wars have been fought in the name of religion than for any other reason!

I said, "Under God" at my Oz Citizenship ceremony, but it wasn't for religious reasons. It was for my own personal reasons.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Actual wordings for the Pledges of Commitment:

Form of Pledge No. 1
From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Optional Form of Pledge No. 2
From this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

This Pledge came into effect in January 1994

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: "under God"

And the "under God" bit is simply equivalent to the original form of "By Almighty God."

It's not like the Yanks' "One nation under God" malarky.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Smile Re: "under God"

Originally Posted by Scossie
"God" and "religion" are 2 completely separate things!

Personally, I believe in God, but choose not to affiliate myself with any religion whatsoever.

IMO, religion has always caused more harm than good.
More wars have been fought in the name of religion than for any other reason!

I said, "Under God" at my Oz Citizenship ceremony, but it wasn't for religious reasons. It was for my own personal reasons.

That is one of the best and most simplest ways of explaining the difference and i am totally with you on it.
I bet God breaks his heart at seeing what his name goes next to
Cheers Scossie,a pearl of wisdom i won't forget
Lynn ,karma 2u