Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK schooling vs Australia for young children

UK schooling vs Australia for young children

Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:46 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK schooling vs Australia for young children

Originally Posted by fish.01
What is the level for non catholic private schools? I think catholic schools come under two systems don't they, systemic or not. Does this change the level of funding do you know?
1) According to this, "independent schools" (not Catholic, not government) got 41% of the funding from the government in 2008: http://www.isca.edu.au/html/funding_main.htm

2) That same page says that there are some "independent" Catholic schools. I haven't come across them (but I haven't been searching or anything). As far as I know, all the Catholic schools I've noticed have been run by the three Catholic Education Offices in Sydney. I have no idea how or if the level of funding changes.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark1963
Hi Evelyn,
Thanks for your post...we live in Winchester....apparently the best schooling there is in the UK..

I think the moral of the thread is...if people are so worried about the education system...stay in the UK untill the kids leave school. !!

Then they can struggle to find a god job, like everyone else.

If you are going to move to Australia....do it for the right reasons...

Life style is my choice...and I certainly dont agree with 5 year olds bringing home homework !!

Cheers,
Mark
I have a foot in both camps to be honest and feel that things could be better here. I believe kids start school far to early in the UK and that we push our primary kids far too hard. That is my opinion of course. On the whole I don't believe my kids are that far behind their similar aged cousins in the UK. I took a peek at my 11 year old nephews English homework and my 8 year old could have done it with no problem at all so her school here in Perth must be doing something right.

I hope things are as you expect when you finally get to Australia.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Does it really matter which is better?

If you move to Australia your kids will be taught the same as Australian kids, sit the important Australian exams at secondary school, go through the Australian University entrance criteria and end up with an Australian degree.

And Australians have absolutely zero problem in being successful when they go overseas and compete on the world stage - so as long as the end product is good, who really cares whether they are ahead at 7 years old or not.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

And Australians have absolutely zero problem in being successful when they go overseas and compete on the world stage -.
Some are but it is difficult to quantify how many are and how many are not. Even more so to compare with other countries.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:00 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
If you move to Australia your kids will be taught the same as Australian kids, sit the important Australian exams at secondary school, go through the Australian University entrance criteria and end up with an Australian degree.
Not necessarily, they won't! The picture you're painting isn't the universal experience of Australian schoolkids - and even if it were, their ability to compete in a global market is hampered by e.g. the poor attitude to languages in Australian schools.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
their ability to compete in a global market is hampered by e.g. the poor attitude to languages in Australian schools.
And how many British schools teach Mandarin or Hindi?

I work for a global company, lack of languages is not a hindrance, vast majority of executive are not multilingual.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Sports sports sports!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Not necessarily, they won't! The picture you're painting isn't the universal experience of Australian schoolkids - and even if it were, their ability to compete in a global market is hampered by e.g. the poor attitude to languages in Australian schools.
My son's school teaches Mandarin - the language of his future.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Apart from the cost of outside tuition, there is the time it takes up outside school and you having to be more "teacher" than mum. I know that not all their learning goes on in the classroom, but I would rather my kids actually did most of their learning at school when it comes to the fundamentals. It's a really negative situation when they are sitting there bored, day after day, year after year.
Absolutely. The pressure of doing this outside of school when I have two other little ones to consider and the fact that my dd is tired at the end of the day is not fair. I want to be mum not teacher. Thankfully only 1 more week until her teacher leaves on maternity leave and doesn't destroy anymore kids confidence by ripping stickers off charts, putting work in the bin and sending reading books home one night at level 12 and another at 23!!! I should have moved her when I had concerns in week 7 term 1 and she was going back over her single sounds!!!.......

Last edited by PoppetUK; Aug 15th 2010 at 12:39 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
i totally agree with you here, wa schools are very behind in a lot of things, we moved back to the uk in jan and the kids have gone from strength to strength. I only moved back cause of the education. Best move so far.
Please tell me more about your move back - i thinking the same - let me know how it all went - my husband loves it here but its the ducation system that may make our decision to return.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Please tell me more about your move back - i thinking the same - let me know how it all went - my husband loves it here but its the ducation system that may make our decision to return.
Please please tell me more to. Hubbies new job is going great but I am so concerned about the education I am thinking of getting on a flight to make the start of the new school year........
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Evelyn oneill. Where abouts are you? NOR / SOR or right in Perth... What ages are your kids??
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Absolutely. The pressure of doing this outside of school when I have two other little ones to consider and the fact that my dd is tired at the end of the day is not fair. I want to be mum not teacher. Thankfully only 1 more week until her teacher leaves on maternity leave and doesn't destroy anymore kids confidence by ripping stickers off charts, putting work in the bin and sending reading books home one night at level 12 and another at 23!!! I should have moved her when I had concerned in week 7 term 1.......
How about my youngest: he tells me that kids have to go to the teacher one by one, if their drawing is good enough it goes on the board, if not it goes in the bin and they do it again. He has taken the mickey out of my shy child's little voice, made the whole class laugh and my child ends up crying (and too scared to ever try a speech again). He has had a go at my child's accent and another's in the class, accents a little too British for his liking. In Term 1 & 2 this teacher had the kids on a rewards chart, if they got enough marks, they would be allowed to go on the excursion. As it happens, half the kids couldn't go on the excursion anyway because of height and age restrictions, so the smallest and youngest had been working their guts out for an excursion out of bounds to them anyway. An alternative excursion was arranged for them and it's the only one they've been on all year, BTW.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mark1963
Hi Evelyn,
Thanks for your post...we live in Winchester....apparently the best schooling there is in the UK..

I think the moral of the thread is...if people are so worried about the education system...stay in the UK untill the kids leave school. !!

Then they can struggle to find a god job, like everyone else.

If you are going to move to Australia....do it for the right reasons...

Life style is my choice...and I certainly dont agree with 5 year olds bringing home homework !!

Cheers,
Mark
I know what your saying Mark it all boils down to whats important for each individual or for that family - and one thing you are right about my children will compete much more for jobs when they leave school or Uni in the UK - i have to weigh up their loss of culture and identity and lack of a good education if we stay here.
Teachers in WA have stated that we have left one of the best education sysytems in the world to come here - i just wish i'd known - xx
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
How about my youngest: he tells me that kids have to go to the teacher one by one, if their drawing is good enough it goes on the board, if not it goes in the bin and they do it again. He has taken the mickey out of my shy child's little voice, made the whole class laugh and my child ends up crying (and too scared to ever try a speech again). He has had a go at my child's accent and another's in the class, accents a little too British for his liking. In Term 1 & 2 this teacher had the kids on a rewards chart, if they got enough marks, they would be allowed to go on the excursion. As it happens, half the kids couldn't go on the excursion anyway because of height and age restrictions, so the smallest and youngest had been working their guts out for an excursion out of bounds to them anyway. An alternative excursion was arranged for them and it's the only one they've been on all year, BTW.
Ahhhhhh. Give him a big hug for me. Teacher needs locking up, thats verbal abuse and bullying. Probably doesn't really that his behaviour will also set your child up for playground bullying. Great role model not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.