Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK schooling vs Australia for young children

UK schooling vs Australia for young children

Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK schooling vs Australia for young children

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Thanks for the link, I'll have a go and see if I can understand it, maths is not my strong point.

There's also the question of who decides what a child should know by a certain age, and another question is what a child is capable of learning, if only they were taught it.

Yes, 100% agree on teachers' ability even covering what we have now - but then in WA they don't have to follow a curriculum, so if something is too hard for the teacher to teach, they can just opt out.

Not only does the system have many teachers and principals who are not competent, but you have to question who's teaching the teachers at uni and what the courses cover. You might have to go back about 30 years to find out the prevailing education ideology at the time and how this has trickled down into the system.

Before anyone gets too agitated, I do realise that there are competent teachers out there, it's just that in my experience, I haven't met any.
Teachers at university will not study maths - they will study education. Subject knowledge is assumed - although I have heard talk of competency tests in areas such as maths prior to qualification.

I think you should see the NC as content areas that an average child should be able to cover - the sky is the limit in terms of the upward side.

If your child is anything like mine, there will be areas that they can cope with but there will be some gaps.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
For those that are interested, Mathematics draft national curriculum is here: http://www.australiancurriculum.edu....curriculum.pdf

It will probably undergo minor refinements but nothing too drastic bearing in mind that implementation can begin from January next year. Those parents that are interested in figuring out what their child should know and understand by certain ages should find this useful. (By the way, if you find out that your child has not covered the basics, don't despair. There are many textbooks that you can get your hands on to get them up to speed.)

I really believe that Australia could well have one of the world's best systems within about 7 years. National Curriculum together with the proposed Australian Baccalaureate (if Labor get in again) and funding tied to teacher and headship quality (not to mention NAPLAN (which will now be linked directly to curriculum unlike now) and MySchool) means a huge shift in the education system.
The biggest problem that Australia will face is that it wants to assess against world's best benchmarks but I have serious concerns about the ability of many, many primary teachers who cannot master what is covered in National Curriculum maths.
I admire your optimism and hope, for the sake of future generations, that you are right. However, although implementation of the new curriculum can begin from January, I think this is very unlikely to happen in most state schools in WA, given that the Education Minister has already stated that there is a sizeable gap between current levels and those described in the national curriculum.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a quick look at the proposed curriculum for maths. There's lots of worrying little things, such as the use of calculators in Year 4 upwards, to "Calculate duration using 12- and 24-hour time, explain and use time zones" for the Year 7s, who are aged 12 and 13. My kids are not being taught a lot of the items in this draft.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
I admire your optimism and hope, for the sake of future generations, that you are right. However, although implementation of the new curriculum can begin from January, I think this is very unlikely to happen in most state schools in WA, given that the Education Minister has already stated that there is a sizeable gap between current levels and those described in the national curriculum.
It most definitely will not be universal in all schools next year but I think you'll find that by 2013 all primary schools will be operating Eng, Sci, Maths and Hist NC.
Funding will be attached to implementation and so public schoosl will have to implement.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

I've had a quick look at the proposed curriculum for maths. There's lots of worrying little things, such as the use of calculators in Year 4 upwards, to "Calculate duration using 12- and 24-hour time, explain and use time zones" for the Year 7s, who are aged 12 and 13. My kids are not being taught a lot of the items in this draft.
I had the same concerns after reading the NAPLAN national minimum standards http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learni...meracyYr3.html I am convinced that my youngest, who is apparently a "B" student in maths, has not covered all the topics required to meet the national minimum standard.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Teachers at university will not study maths - they will study education. Subject knowledge is assumed - although I have heard talk of competency tests in areas such as maths prior to qualification.

I think you should see the NC as content areas that an average child should be able to cover - the sky is the limit in terms of the upward side.

If your child is anything like mine, there will be areas that they can cope with but there will be some gaps.
I've seen errors in the marking of my kids' work. My youngest has also told me how his teacher has told the class the wrong answer in maths a few times. Unfortunately, competency cannot be assumed and entry scores for teaching degrees might reflect that.

In my experience, the sky is not the limit on the upward side, as in senior primary school, the kids' ability and knowledge may exceed that of the teachers, especially if the kids have done some sort of tuition outside school.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think that anyone could argue that primary Maths education in WA is not in a dire state.
Parents have to make a decision on a number of options:
1. Accept it - knowing that your child may well be significantly behind kids in other states and may well not cope with senior school maths NC when that is introduced.
2. Monitor what has been covered and make good on the gaps through parental tuition or outside tuition.
3. Move.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I've seen errors in the marking of my kids' work. My youngest has also told me how his teacher has told the class the wrong answer in maths a few times. Unfortunately, competency cannot be assumed and entry scores for teaching degrees might reflect that.

In my experience, the sky is not the limit on the upward side, as in senior primary school, the kids' ability and knowledge may exceed that of the teachers, especially if the kids have done some sort of tuition outside school.
I don't doubt any of this. I meant that the sky is the limit in terms of a child's ability - of course this doesn't mean that it will be realised.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
You and I have had this discussion on threads before and you know I agree. I have been fortunate with my school and most of the teachers. Year 5 was tough on a Numeracy level with me forking out for Mathletics at home to get her back where she should be in year 6. Thankfully that teacher retires early next year and as lovely as she was it isn't a second too soon!!
This is one of the things I find so frustrating - great for your child that you were able/willing to plug the gap but what about all the other kids whose parents can't? Not to mention those that she is still teaching until her retirement - when do they get back to where they should be?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hoveactually
This is one of the things I find so frustrating - great for your child that you were able/willing to plug the gap but what about all the other kids whose parents can't? Not to mention those that she is still teaching until her retirement - when do they get back to where they should be?
Apart from the cost of outside tuition, there is the time it takes up outside school and you having to be more "teacher" than mum. I know that not all their learning goes on in the classroom, but I would rather my kids actually did most of their learning at school when it comes to the fundamentals. It's a really negative situation when they are sitting there bored, day after day, year after year.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:01 am
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mark1963
Its amazing that the Australian Economy is flying high and there are many Australian workers who are head hunted all over the world.....

Can Australias School system be that bad...maybe the UK is far too ahead of itself, and asks too much of youger children !!

My son is 8 and he is struggling at school here in the UK....unfortunatley he gets very little support, and the school only seems to be interested in the kids that make the sats look good !!

The UK isn't that great , and we certainly don't need to use it as a bench mark for what our Children should be working towards !!
Mark dont know what part of UK you in - i'm from Scotland been here a year in WA - the education absolutley sucks - and my kids are in private - we paying a fortune and the style of educating the kids is boring and old fashioned and the standards are very poor - my kids are 9 and they are still bored in the classroom - still repeating stuff they did 2 years ago in Scotland - I know i'll get slated for saying it but you know what new immigrants coming over should know the truth before they make that decision - We pay 700 dollars a term for basic education that was free at home - my kids were happy and stimulated at home - my 5 year old has another year to go before she even starts school and Kindi ( which is very pricey compared to our free preschool nursery education at home) is all about play and art - shes more than ready to start reading and writing. and before i get all the comments saying i should have reaserched it - well i did but you don't know till you get here how poor it is. I know the states are all different. This message is more for Scots moving to Perth. Sorry Mark.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The quality of teaching is a big issue. On my list of things to do is a bit of letter writing on the subject. Unfortunately, a lot of WA teachers have been trained in the same way, so it may result in few differences in standards and attitudes between public and private schools.

My kids did Kumon until the end of last year. I was always surprised to see kids in private school uniforms at the classroom sessions. One of Perth's most expensive private schools has a Kumon centre right opposite. Parents at this school are coughing up (? choking up)

Preparatory School
Pre-Primary $12,200
Years 1 to 3 $14,340
Years 4 to 5 $14,640
Year 6 $16,360
Senior School
Years 7 to 12 $18,800

as well as $100 per month per subject if they go to Kumon.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Evelyn,
Thanks for your post...we live in Winchester....apparently the best schooling there is in the UK..

I think the moral of the thread is...if people are so worried about the education system...stay in the UK untill the kids leave school. !!

Then they can struggle to find a god job, like everyone else.

If you are going to move to Australia....do it for the right reasons...

Life style is my choice...and I certainly dont agree with 5 year olds bringing home homework !!

Cheers,
Mark
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:30 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
We pay 700 dollars a term for basic education that was free at home...our free preschool nursery education at home
It wasn't free. You just paid for it in a different way.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
We live in WA the level of education has been shockingly behind and poor. If I had known this i would never have left Scotland.
ev
i totally agree with you here, wa schools are very behind in a lot of things, we moved back to the uk in jan and the kids have gone from strength to strength. I only moved back cause of the education. Best move so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.