Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:51 am   #1
robo43 
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about
Default UK Pension / Investing

Hi, i have transferred my UK pension into my over 55 SMSF and have it sitting in my Aussie bank SMSF in a foreign currency account in GBP. I was wondering if anyone had experience of investing or getting advice on investing, from a foreign currency account? I would be looking to transfer to AUD once the exchange rate gets more favourable.
Cheers
Rob
robo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:23 am   #2
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension / Investing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo43 View Post
Hi, i have transferred my UK pension into my over 55 SMSF and have it sitting in my Aussie bank SMSF in a foreign currency account in GBP. I was wondering if anyone had experience of investing or getting advice on investing, from a foreign currency account? I would be looking to transfer to AUD once the exchange rate gets more favourable.
Cheers
Rob
What makes you think that is a certainty?
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:20 am   #3
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
What makes you think that is a certainty?

Nothing to suggest it's likely to in the short to medium term...

S
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:06 am   #4
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Nothing to suggest it's likely to in the short to medium term...

S
If all the doomsdayers are correct (which I suspect they are not correct) the pound is likely to suffer for the rest of this century.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:43 am   #5
robo43 
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Nothing in life is a certainty, but considering the current rate is 0.61 to the dollar, and the 10 year average is 0.55 and the 15 year average is 0.50 the chance that some point in the future it will be more favourable. This is why i asked the question, because i want to invest my super using GBP, rather than exchanging now when the rate is towards the lower end from my point of view.

Then there is this in today's Telegraph.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...nce-back-year/

Not that i take much notice of so called experts.

Last edited by robo43; Apr 3rd 2017 at 6:51 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:14 am   #6
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

The exchange rate improving will depend mainly on the result of Brexit negotiations and from what I'm hearing they are going downhill fast. You might end up with an even worse exchange rate in a couple of years if the Brexit goes pear shaped.
You will also be loosing out on the growth in the Ozzie market whilst paying large commissions to invest your pounds in pound denominated investments, unless you park it in Sterling deposit accounts which pay Zilch.
Kiwipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:19 pm   #7
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As a general and conservative statement, one's savings should be invested in the same currency as their likely expenditure. Anything else is a gamble ("speculation"), not an investment. Nothing wrong with a bit of a gamble, of course: we all do that. But recognise it for what it is.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:51 pm   #8
Migration Agent
Premium Member

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob.

I'll send a PM to you with a name and contact details.

Best regards.
Offices in Southampton (England), and Melbourne (Australia)
Alan Collett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th 2017, 1:39 pm   #9
dave99 
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you manage to transfer your UK pension over?, do you mean it gets paid into your bank in small sums or were you able to withdraw it all somehow?

Thanks
dave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th 2017, 3:23 pm   #10
robo43 
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
How did you manage to transfer your UK pension over?, do you mean it gets paid into your bank in small sums or were you able to withdraw it all somehow?

Thanks
Set up an over 55 SMSF and got it QROPS accredited then transfered the whole amount.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:12 am   #11
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nothing in life is a certainty, but considering the current rate is 0.61 to the dollar, and the 10 year average is 0.55 and the 15 year average is 0.50 the chance that some point in the future it will be more favourable. This is why i asked the question, because i want to invest my super using GBP, rather than exchanging now when the rate is towards the lower end from my point of view.

Then there is this in today's Telegraph.
Why a 'significantly undervalued' pound will bounce back this year

Not that i take much notice of so called experts.
In the last 2 weeks it has gone from 1.602 (Aud to GBP) up to 1.667

4 years ago, in April 2013, it was around 1.44 AUD to the GBP, but by the end of that year it was 1.82

But its all a gamble..

Back in 2001, I left a couple of thousand pounds in the UK, hoping the rate got even better... But I left it too late, it went up, from 2.9 to 3.03, but then dropped again, and kept dropping !

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia