Job

Old Feb 22nd 2018, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Gayle and Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job

Hi

I've sent my CV to company in Perth and been told that they don't have any expat approved roles available. What does this mean?? I've told them that I have been granted a 189 PR visa??
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job

What kind of company is this?

From what you have said - could mean anything from they have roles for Australian Citizens only (could be sensitive-type work) to news of your 189 going right over their head to they think you want a UK-based role for them.

Are you in Australia now? Many people find it hard to secure a job before moving over.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gayle and Ross
Hi

I've sent my CV to company in Perth and been told that they don't have any expat approved roles available. What does this mean?? I've told them that I have been granted a 189 PR visa??
It means that the government has made it very difficult for companies to hire skilled people from abroad because the left wingers think skills from abroad are not valuable to Australia.

This HR person may believe you wanted sponsorship. HR people aren't the sharpest.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:05 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
It means that the government has made it very difficult for companies to hire skilled people from abroad because the left wingers think skills from abroad are not valuable to Australia.

This HR person may believe you wanted sponsorship. HR people aren't the sharpest.
What a load of crap. This is nothing to do with "left wingers" and HR people. Your constant left (bad) right (good) rhetoric is boring now. Perhaps you could find some friends in the TIO area where politics is on the agenda.

OP, what it means is that the company is not willing to hire from overseas. It's an expensive prospect for them and not all companies are eligible to sponsor. It could also be that they are looking for someone who can start Monday. Are you available to start immediately if required? Come to an interview early next week if required? What kind of work are you looking for?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What a load of crap. This is nothing to do with "left wingers" and HR people. Your constant left (bad) right (good) rhetoric is boring now. Perhaps you could find some friends in the TIO area where politics is on the agenda.

OP, what it means is that the company is not willing to hire from overseas. It's an expensive prospect for them and not all companies are eligible to sponsor. It could also be that they are looking for someone who can start Monday. Are you available to start immediately if required? Come to an interview early next week if required? What kind of work are you looking for?
Ah ok. I Did say that I'm not in country at the moment but moving in the near future.. I'm a drafter.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. I Did say that I'm not in country at the moment but moving in the near future.. I'm a drafter.
Once you get here the job search will be easier. It's hard getting something from overseas when companies can hire someone who is here already. Good luck for when you arrive.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

They said 189 PR visa. PR means Permanent Resident right?

I am not up to speed on visas but that doesn't not require sponsorship right?

Perth is hiring on the engineering front right now. Drafters are in demand.

Engineering is on the the Dept of Employment list of shortages.

Yet we cannot hire them.

Needs highlighting. Bad luck.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of drafter are you? Are you set on Perth?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
What kind of drafter are you? Are you set on Perth?
Im a Structural draffie, civil & oil and gas experience. Perth is defo our first port of call, if I can’t pick up anything there then would obviously have to look elsewhere. We arrive on the 12th June. Started applying but by the sounds of things they don't look at you unless you are onshore.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Im a Structural draffie, civil & oil and gas experience. Perth is defo our first port of call, if I can’t pick up anything there then would obviously have to look elsewhere. We arrive on the 12th June. Started applying but by the sounds of things they don't look at you unless you are onshore.
No worries, not sure what the Oil & Gas game is like over here, I was an Oil & Gas drafter for years in the UK, served my time on the Tees at Kvearner. Moved to structural nut & bolt stuff in 2000 when most of the Teesside yards closed. There's masses of structural commercial work over here in Melbourne but I don't know of any Oil & Gas stuff over this way. I think Perth has always been the O&G area. Good luck with your search.