Reload this Page >

uk nurse to australia

uk nurse to australia

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

logonrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk nurse to australia

Hello
am a nurse in uk, hoping to move to australia. i am aware of the registration process. just wondering what is nursing like over there. i work in a medical ward, and hoping to do the same out there. would like to hear from nurses moved to australia about their experience on the move.
Thnx
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk nurse to australia

There are massive differences... Dont ask me what, after five years i dont remember what they are (almost)

At the end of the day... Youre a nurse, with sick patients ...who you are trying to do your best for in a system thats 20+ years behind the uk... And in WA at least, a system that is bankrupt....

I found adapting to the australian nursing culture very hard... Depends on the individual, and their field....

One excellent thing... Here you arent a co ordinator of care.... At the mo... You're a giver of care... I found this refreshing... If somewhat wasteful skills wise..... Miss my nursing auxillaries.... Big time, especially with increasing pt loads here in WA....
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

megancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nice

Hey there!

I have only been out here for a few months and I have noticed huge differences, a lot of them for the better though!! Some of them are differences between working in Australia and the UK and others are between working for the NHS and private system! But I can tell you that I never want to go back to work in the UK!

But at the end of the day, as eddie007 says nursing is nursing no matter where you are! And lucky for me the job I now have means I get to spend more time nursing my patients and giving them the attention they need!

The differences will depend on where you work (state/city) and what speciality and wether or not it's public/private but I can honestly say deciding to come over here was definitely the best decission I have ever made!

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions just let me know!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thnx eddi007 and megancphillips. i guess i dont really know what to expect, especially with nursing being, in a way protected by all the multi discipplinary members, because everyone is there when you need them. am not sure how that works out there. and with NHS being there for patient and making sure patient gets everything they want and more, am not sure what to expect from there, with Aus not having a health framework quite like the NHS.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the politics... Enjoy the nursing... Do you know where you're heading?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Forget the politics... Enjoy the nursing... Do you know where you're heading?
yeah , just go with it, like eddie am 5 years on and my memory of is fading of my experiences in scotland (except i still also miss the nursing auxillaries).
Am sure you'll enjoy it and 5 years down the line i have made some amazing nursey friends.

Just had one of the best times in my life at a nursing conference in Darwin, laughed and learned the whole week (especially laughed, and drank).
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Thnx both of u, makes me feel a bit better now. Most likely NSW.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by logonrose
Thnx both of u, makes me feel a bit better now. Most likely NSW.
One of my colleagues ended up in nsw, works for a private hospital , she is alot younger than me (around 30) and is having the time of her life, !! says she will never work in scotland again.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 10:51 am
Just Joined

megancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nicemegancphillips is just really nice

I work in NSW in a private hospital and it's amazing! Ok so they don't have the NHS but there is medicare, and you still have the support of an MDT, there are still physios/doctors/OT/dieticians etc so that isn't any different!

The main difference I found was getting used to the paperwork and policies, but then that would have been the same if I had stayed in the UK and changed the trust I worked for!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:05 am
Just Joined

BuDoKeN is an unknown quantity at this point

Eddie007 is right, nursing is nursing. However I have to agree with megancphillips, I would never consider going back to the UK to work.

I can only speak about Sydney though:

- 1:4 Nurse to patient ratio on the wards. In some A&E 2:6 in the acute section and 3:3 in the resuscitation area.
- We get paid every fortnight, though you pay rent on a fortnightly basis too.
- I find the hourly rate for Staff Nurses in Australia is way higher than the UK. Australia does not have the UK band system.
- We can wear scrubs I don't have epaulettes!
- I miss my 12h shift though. There are a few places that do 12hr but it is not as common as it is in the UK, particularly in ED (Emergency).
- Double rate for overtime shifts. I can't remember what was it like in the UK.

I really miss HCA. You have AIN (assistant in nursing) in here but they are not as competent as HCA.

Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007
There are massive differences... Dont ask me what, after five years i dont remember what they are (almost)

At the end of the day... Youre a nurse, with sick patients ...who you are trying to do your best for in a system thats 20+ years behind the uk... And in WA at least, a system that is bankrupt....

I found adapting to the australian nursing culture very hard... Depends on the individual, and their field....

One excellent thing... Here you arent a co ordinator of care.... At the mo... You're a giver of care... I found this refreshing... If somewhat wasteful skills wise..... Miss my nursing auxillaries.... Big time, especially with increasing pt loads here in WA....
I can't speak for behind the scenes but the care I've had has been better than anything I got from the NHS. Faster, better customer service, newer and cleaner facilities.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lot's of differences but as Eddie said,the wimmin nurses are still a bunch of lazy,overweight,kentucky fried chicken eating witches
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:41 am
Just Joined

sheilaswheels2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking HI i am a nurse un the uk and work in a nursing home can u tell me wat its like there

Hi, wondering if u can help am a nurse in the uk and want to move over there but work in a nursing home can u tell me wat its like do they run the same as over here is the pay different and is there an age limit for moving over there
many thanks

I have only been out here for a few months and I have noticed huge differences, a lot of them for the better though!! Some of them are differences between working in Australia and the UK and others are between working for the NHS and private system! But I can tell you that I never want to go back to work in the UK!

But at the end of the day, as eddie007 says nursing is nursing no matter where you are! And lucky for me the job I now have means I get to spend more time nursing my patients and giving them the attention they need!

The differences will depend on where you work (state/city) and what speciality and wether or not it's public/private but I can honestly say deciding to come over here was definitely the best decission I have ever made!

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions just let me know![/QUOTE]
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Lot's of differences but as Eddie said,the wimmin nurses are still a bunch of lazy,overweight,kentucky fried chicken eating witches
Nowt wrong with being a witch you know, carry on like that and you'll be a toad shortly

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 13th 2012 at 8:21 am.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:15 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nowt wrong with beimg a witch you know, csrry on lije that and you'll be a toad shortly
Carry on spelling like that and you'll be needing re-educating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.