Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Driving Licence Renewal

UK Driving Licence Renewal

Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: UK Driving Licence Renewal

Bermudashorts - don't worry they don't keep your UK one over here anyway. You can still use it.

Jen - you have to let it lapse I'm afraid. My OHs ran out in January already! To renew you have to sign saying that you are resident in the UK! We changed our addresses to in-laws and hoped to keep them going, but can't really say that we are resident! Besides, they want you to pay every ten years for a licence that you really don't need. The Australian one will be fine for holidays back to UK.

Also, you can (if for some mad reason you move back!) just apply to get it again without doing another test or anything!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:44 am
Trust me.... I'm a nurse.

Nurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really nice

Jen - you have to let it lapse I'm afraid. My OHs ran out in January already! To renew you have to sign saying that you are resident in the UK! We changed our addresses to in-laws and hoped to keep them going, but can't really say that we are resident! Besides, they want you to pay every ten years for a licence that you really don't need. The Australian one will be fine for holidays back to UK.
QUOTE]

I concur, mine ran out in Jan and I wasn't able to renew it due to being non-resident. It's apparently very simple to organise a new one if you return to the UK for good.... YEAH RIGHT!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

When I came over here 14 years ago, I had to sit a driving test even though I held a full UK driving licence and had done for over 17 years.

I renewed my UK licence from here using my fathers address in England. I like to remind myself that I am english. I am glad that I did this as I had to return to the UK earlier this year for family reasons and I was able to be put on my friends insurance and drive their car using my UK driving licence details.

Barney
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
The OH's UK Driving Licence is due to expire soon, he now has a QLD one, so is there any point in renewing the UK one? What are the pros and cons involved in this?!
Mine runs out this month but I am only a Temp Resident in NSW so do need it. I contacted the DVA and they stated that they would send out an automatic renewal form to my registered UK address. We have mail redirection set up so should get it soon. Even though the license itself is valid till 2034, the Photocard only lasts for 10 years hence the renewal. As I still have the paper license I may just let it lapse and save myself the princely sum of 10 english pounds!!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Mine runs out this month but I am only a Temp Resident in NSW so do need it. I contacted the DVA and they stated that they would send out an automatic renewal form to my registered UK address. We have mail redirection set up so should get it soon. Even though the license itself is valid till 2034, the Photocard only lasts for 10 years hence the renewal. As I still have the paper license I may just let it lapse and save myself the princely sum of 10 english pounds!!

I will be renewing mine in December when I go back for Christmas. Though I have a NSW licence, I have found that the UK licence is great for getting into clubs with membership requirements like RSLs and our local snooker place on an ad-hoc basis instead of having to pay the joining fee because I live too close.

S