British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Driving Licence Renewal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-driving-licence-renewal-672526/)

Jen1977ni Jun 15th 2010 9:15 am

UK Driving Licence Renewal

The OH's UK Driving Licence is due to expire soon, he now has a QLD one, so is there any point in renewing the UK one? What are the pros and cons involved in this?!

lonndongeek Jun 15th 2010 9:47 am

Re: UK Driving Licence Renewal

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8633942)
The OH's UK Driving Licence is due to expire soon, he now has a QLD one, so is there any point in renewing the UK one? What are the pros and cons involved in this?!

There are no pros or cons. Only UK residents are eligible for a UK driving licence.

He could always renew and give them a relative's address in the UK, but this may not be entirely legal.

Cheers

Steve

Bermudashorts Jun 15th 2010 9:49 am

I have been wondering about this, I don't like the idea of giving up my UK licence. Is it easy to get back if one returns to the UK?

lonndongeek Jun 15th 2010 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8633998)
I have been wondering about this, I don't like the idea of giving up my UK licence. Is it easy to get back if one returns to the UK?

So long as you have an Australian licence, you can exchange it easily. For full details, click here.

Cheers

Steve

Alfresco Jun 15th 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8633942)

I wouldn't worry either. It's easily exchangeable.

Why is it due to expire so soon? Mine is due to expire in 2036 when I'll be ancient.

Alfresco Jun 15th 2010 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8633998)

In QLD they give you your UK license back intact when you exchange it. Not sure about NSW.

Bermudashorts Jun 15th 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8634021)
I wouldn't worry either. It's easily exchangeable.

Why is it due to expire so soon? Mine is due to expire in 2036 when I'll be ancient.

Do you have a paper licence only? The photo ones have to be renewed every ten years.

Bermudashorts Jun 15th 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8634024)
In QLD they give you your UK license back intact when you exchange it. Not sure about NSW.

I have a cunning plan, going to see if they will swap my Bermuda licence for an Australian one.

louie Jun 15th 2010 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8634076)
I have a cunning plan, going to see if they will swap my Bermuda licence for an Australian one.

They won't :(

Alfresco Jun 15th 2010 11:39 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8634175)

Unfortunately this is correct.

Recognised countries
  • Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark,
  • Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey,
  • Ireland, Isle of Man (licences issued since 1 April 1991), Italy, Japan, Jersey, Luxembourg,
  • Malta (licences issued since 2 January 2004), Netherlands, New Zealand (except where a paper licence is presented), Norway, Portugal,
  • Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8634069)
Do you have a paper licence only? The photo ones have to be renewed every ten years.

Oh I didn't know the photocard one expires after 10 years. Must be because of the photo and another opportunity to raise cash. :(

Bermudashorts Jun 15th 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 8634175)

Darn it. :frown: :p

sbx2008 Jun 15th 2010 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8634197)
Darn it. :frown: :p

Hi Bermuda,

You could always apply to the DVA for a duplicate and exchange that one...

That's what I plan to do. :)

Scott

louie Jun 15th 2010 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbx2008 (Post 8634523)
You could always apply to the DVA for a duplicate and exchange that one...

Shouldn't be necessary. According to the NSW RTA website, they need your overseas licence to verify and record your details, but unlike the web page relevant to interstate drivers, there is no mention of taking it away from you. I very much doubt they would legally be allowed to take a foreign issued licence away from you, unlike a licence transferred from another state, which has to be cancelled because you can only hold one Australian licence at a time.

Janna and Nick Jun 15th 2010 3:31 pm

WA just confirmed our details and category with our UK licence and then handed them back. So now we have UK and WA licences. :)

perksy Jun 15th 2010 5:00 pm

Unless you're a temp resident what use is the UK licence anyway? ;)