Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick car hire question

Quick car hire question

Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all
Default Quick car hire question

Hi all.
I am going to oz next week to suss some stuff out. Been looking online for car rentals but it seems the price they quote then has add ons for waivers etc. Anyone know of a decent car hire place near Melbourne airport. I am there for five weeks and am traveling alone so only need a small car. Any help appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Quick car hire question

Most car hire companies (even in the UK) will add on waivers etc (they're normally an option - so if you want to reduce the excess from $5000 to $350, they'll charge you an extra x amount per day)

Most of the major car hire companies (Budget, Avis, Thrifty, National, Europcar, etc) will have a desk at the airport so I would personally pick from one of them.

If you're going to be sussing stuff out, make sure you get one with unlimited km/mileage. But watch out for any limits on where you can go. When we hire in Sydney, there is often a "limit" on how far we can go - ie no further than the Blue Mountains or something like that.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Thanks Tilly, I have found a company called holidayautos which seems quite good so I have emailed them a couple of questions. Whatever happened to going into a place and asking the guy behind the counter how much something is.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to suggest holidayautos - my dad always uses them when he flies from the Isle of Man to the UK and I used them myself back in July when I was back over. I wasn't too sure if they were just a UK/Europe thing though.

I found them a bit cheaper than going directly to the likes of Avis etc - but the booking itself is with a decent firm - I think I got my hire car through them and it was with National/Europcar (same counter LOL)
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

You can reduce costs by taking out insurance in the UK to cover all the extra liabilities. I can recommend

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

I used them on my last rip to Australia.

Charlie
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Charlie, I will check it out.