Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Driver liscense in South Australia?

UK Driver liscense in South Australia?

Old Dec 14th 2003, 7:30 pm
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Default UK Driver liscense in South Australia?

I'm hoping to get into Adelaide, South Australia on a skilled independent visa and I have a typical car driving liscence here for the UK.

Can you please tell me what happens with your UK drivers lisense when(or if) I ever get to South Australia. Do I need to 'swap' it for an Oz one? Do I have to take an exam? What are the costs involved?
Old Dec 14th 2003, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

i THINK..Although not certain you get around 3 months on uk license then you have to redo test for an oz one!!But from what i can gather from my brother(an ozzy) they are all really bad drivers so if you are half decent you have nowt to worry bout!!!!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 11:32 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottalison6
i THINK..Although not certain you get around 3 months on uk license then you have to do theory test for an oz one!!

Correct!!!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driver liscense in South Australia?

Originally posted by gunnercaz
I'm hoping to get into Adelaide, South Australia on a skilled independent visa and I have a typical car driving liscence here for the UK.

Can you please tell me what happens with your UK drivers lisense when(or if) I ever get to South Australia. Do I need to 'swap' it for an Oz one? Do I have to take an exam? What are the costs involved?
Try http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...vers/index.asp

or do a search on this forum, there were a few threads about this within the last 3 or so months.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 8:39 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Cheers for all the advice everybody....got to find my own Uk liscence now! ;-))
Old Dec 15th 2003, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if the different states have different licences,
but in WA you only have to do the theory test
Attached Thumbnails UK Driver liscense in South Australia?-knight_maiden_holding_hands_md_clr_15670.gif  
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by PeterAndSue
Don't know if the different states have different licences,
but in WA you only have to do the theory test
i read a posting on the GoMatilda website recently that said the law had just changed in SA to be in line with the rest of Aus and you only had to do a theory test...not sure if it is accurate but would be nice if it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to know the laws for learner drivers if anyone knows them????
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Yes its true...i am hoping to do my test in the next few weeks. Law has changed and you only do the theory test now.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
i read a posting on the GoMatilda website recently that said the law had just changed in SA to be in line with the rest of Aus and you only had to do a theory test...not sure if it is accurate but would be nice if it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to know the laws for learner drivers if anyone knows them????
It depends on the state but in NSW you have to pass the theory test to get a learners license. You then get a log book of tasks to complete and hours to drive before the DART (driving ability road test). Then you get the first set of Ps. After a year on those you take a HPT Hazard Perception Test to get the final set of Ps. Then after 2 years there is another knowledge test. Finally you then get the full license.

Check out www.rta.nsw.gov.au for details.

If you have had your full English license for under 3 years you will go on P plates in NSW.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Driver liscense in South Australia?

the law changed in South Australia at the end of November to bring it in line with other states, i.e. if you have a full UK drivers license you need only do the written test(if you wear glasses and/or contact lenses you must also do an eye exam -which is very easy nothing like a full optical examination).

once done you are issued with a full(class C) SA license and it should arrive in the post within a week or two
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In NSW everyone takes the eye exam. If you pass with glasses on then a condition of wearing glasses is placed on the license. A digital photo is taken there and then and 5 mins afterwards you can walk out with a new license.