British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK citizenship rule (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-citizenship-rule-905327/)

scrubbedexpat020 Oct 31st 2017 10:38 pm

UK citizenship rule

Just wondered how many people don't know that a child born in Aus to a Brit born in UK is British?

BritInParis Oct 31st 2017 11:15 pm

Re: UK citizenship rule

Sometimes that's the case, sometimes not. Depends on the circumstances and the date of birth. As a general rule I suspect most people would realise that they would have some entitlement (unless they were a Member of Parliament obviously :P)

spouse of scouse Oct 31st 2017 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12372238)
Sometimes that's the case, sometimes not. Depends on the circumstances and the date of birth. As a general rule I suspect most people would realise that they would have some entitlement (unless they were a Member of Parliament obviously :P)

:lol:

Pulaski Oct 31st 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12372219)
Just wondered how many people don't know that a child born in Aus to a Brit born in UK is British?

The opposite seems to be more true, that despite their grandparents and earlier ancestors having been British some people can't get their head around the idea that they aren't already British and entitled to a British passport.

Beoz Nov 1st 2017 9:05 pm

Easy done. And even worse. There's plenty of British citizens that have lived in Australia since they were young children as residents, without Australian citizenship.

If you don't travel, and plenty don't, there's no need to query it.

BritInParis Nov 1st 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12372933)
Easy done. And even worse. There's plenty of British citizens that have lived in Australia since they were young children as residents, without Australian citizenship.

If you don't travel, and plenty don't, there's no need to query it.

Until they do so on their British passports to visit the 'old country' and get turn away from their return flights.

Beoz Nov 1st 2017 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12372952)
Until they do so on their British passports to visit the 'old country' and get turn away from their return flights.

If you are a resident of Oz, why would you get turned away?

Plenty don't even travel in the first place and therefore have no passport and subsequently no clue what their citizenship is or just assume they are Australian by length of living.

BritInParis Nov 1st 2017 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373009)
If you are a resident of Oz, why would you get turned away?

Because there's no digital record of their immigration status. They arrived as ten pounds poms as babes in arms in the '50s and '60s and never had any subsequent interaction with DIBP. They are permanent residents but it relies on digging through old microfiches or immigration cards to prove it. As they didn't provide DIBP with their passport details before they left they end up getting stuck in the UK until their status is confirmed.

Plenty don't even travel in the first place and therefore have no passport and subsequently no clue what their citizenship is or just assume they are Australian by length of living.
Very true and as they can also vote there's no disadvantage if they don't travel. Unless they get convicted of a crime and deported back to the UK obviously.

Briton who has lived in Australia for 50 years faces deportation for scrub fire - The Guardian

Australia carries out British man's deportation - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Australia to deport mother-of-five to UK for crimes - BBC News

Beoz Nov 1st 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12373026)
Because there's no digital record of their immigration status. They arrived as ten pounds poms as babes in arms in the '50s and '60s and never had any subsequent interaction with DIBP. They are permanent residents but it relies on digging through old microfiches or immigration cards to prove it. As they didn't provide DIBP with their passport details before they left they end up getting stuck in the UK until their status is confirmed.

Indeed. Probably have trouble leaving Oz in the first place.

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12373026)

Indeedo again.

If I were to go back through the citizenship laws of every country that make up my line back to great grandparents it would be a big task.

I know I am a British and Australian citizen but there are no less than 5 other countries in the mix.

Section 44 needs some serious work.

BritInParis Nov 2nd 2017 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373047)
Indeed. Probably have trouble leaving Oz in the first place.

Certainly get a ticking off on the way out.

Indeedo again.

If I were to go back through the citizenship laws of every country that make up my line back to great grandparents it would be a big task.

I know I am a British and Australian citizen but there are no less than 5 other countries in the mix.

Section 44 needs some serious work.
Written in the days when the British Empire spanned a quarter of the globe. It wasn't intended to catch out Brits, Kiwis, Canadians, etc.. as all were British subjects. If the same principle was applied to Commonwealth citizens now then none of the five concerned would have been ruled ineligible. As it is it will require a referendum to change it which has obviously been kicked down the road for decades now. Odds on it being on the ballot paper at the next election.

Beoz Nov 2nd 2017 12:52 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12373067)
Certainly get a ticking off on the way out.

Written in the days when the British Empire spanned a quarter of the globe. It wasn't intended to catch out Brits, Kiwis, Canadians, etc.. as all were British subjects. If the same principle was applied to Commonwealth citizens now then none of the five concerned would have been ruled ineligible. As it is it will require a referendum to change it which has obviously been kicked down the road for decades now. Odds on it being on the ballot paper at the next election.

Then there's the non Empire / Commonwealth countries.

BritInParis Nov 2nd 2017 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373069)
Then there's the non Empire / Commonwealth countries.

All of whom were bright enough to renounce before standing, bar Canavan, who got away with it by the skin of his teeth.

GarryP Nov 2nd 2017 1:33 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12373067)
As it is it will require a referendum to change it which has obviously been kicked down the road for decades now. Odds on it being on the ballot paper at the next election.

As long as it's alongside ballot on requiring them to have no connection to conglomerates and multinationals.

Realistically dual citizenship is not as important an issue as corporate corruption and dancing to the tune of a corporate master. Only have to look at the NBN for the evidence of how destructive for the Australian citizen that can be.

Swerv-o Nov 2nd 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12373077)
As long as it's alongside ballot on requiring them to have no connection to conglomerates and multinationals.

I thought that was a pre-requisite for becoming a politician?

S

Beoz Nov 2nd 2017 1:48 am

No unions? What a surprise.

Realistically dual citizenship is not as important an issue as corporate corruption and dancing to the tune of a corporate master. Only have to look at the NBN for the evidence of how destructive for the Australian citizen that can be.

True. NBN was a disaster from the outset. What were the leaders thinking at the time when they set up the NBN Co.

GarryP Nov 2nd 2017 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12373078)
I thought that was a pre-requisite for becoming a politician?

S

I think you might have missed the "no" in there.

I'll add that they cannot have any contacts with banks or other large financial institution; or be lawyers, either.

And they should need to undergo psychiatric tests, and tests of basic knowledge too, specifically including technology.

scrubbedexpat020 Nov 2nd 2017 2:46 am

What's the penalty for being a dual-citizen MP/Senator? You lose a job you shouldn't have had in the first place.

We have a choice of an ongoing audit of MPs (prospective and sitting), OR introducing a meaningful penalty for contravening the constitution by not conducting the required personal due diligence.

As it is at the moment it's worth keeping quiet and hoping you won't be found out. I wonder how many there are?

Beoz Nov 2nd 2017 3:09 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12373100)
What's the penalty for being a dual-citizen MP/Senator? You lose a job you shouldn't have had in the first place.

We have a choice of an ongoing audit of MPs (prospective and sitting), OR introducing a meaningful penalty for contravening the constitution by not conducting the required personal due diligence.

As it is at the moment it's worth keeping quiet and hoping you won't be found out. I wonder how many there are?

We have a choice of an ongoing audit of MPs (prospective and sitting), OR introducing a meaningful penalty for contravening the constitution by not conducting the required personal due diligence. OR get the stupid constitution changed.

All the retrospective chit chatter is completely useless. Moving forward ..............

scrubbedexpat020 Nov 2nd 2017 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373105)

All the retrospective chit chatter is completely useless. Moving forward ..............

Is there the support for changing the constitution from the people? I'm not too sure.

ATM, it would be seen as reward for disrespecting the constitution - let's make the wrongs right by making the right wrong, if you see what I mean?:confused:

Beoz Nov 2nd 2017 7:26 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12373144)
Is there the support for changing the constitution from the people? I'm not too sure.

ATM, it would be seen as reward for disrespecting the constitution - let's make the wrongs right by making the right wrong, if you see what I mean?:confused:

Well if you want to have a love affair with silly rules, drama, news, schoolboy antics, and millions wasted on such scrutiny, your call.

scrubbedexpat020 Nov 2nd 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373169)
Well if you want to have a love affair with silly rules, drama, news, schoolboy antics, and millions wasted on such scrutiny, your call.

I don't buy the millions. How hard is it to use the internet to check your right to citizenship? 15mins max. The problem is assuming the people who should tell the truth will, based on recent case studies. My approach would be not to scrutinise every polly to see whether they have told the truth, but to have a penalty that makes them think twice about being dishonest. I have a big issue with people who disrespect the constitution - inch and mile come to mind.

I think the rule is silly, therefore I won't respect it. Why don't we all choose a law we think is silly and ignore it? I'm old-fashioned: the law is the law until Parliament changes it. If Parliament wants to change it, fine by me. Why haven't they, as this problem is not new?

GarryP Nov 2nd 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12373187)
... but to have a penalty that makes them think twice about being dishonest.

The form apparently has a threat of 12 months in jail for a false statement. I think that that should have been used to concentrate the minds of what are, quite often, lawyers.

Beoz Nov 2nd 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12373187)
I don't buy the millions. How hard is it to use the internet to check your right to citizenship? 15mins max. The problem is assuming the people who should tell the truth will, based on recent case studies. My approach would be not to scrutinise every polly to see whether they have told the truth, but to have a penalty that makes them think twice about being dishonest. I have a big issue with people who disrespect the constitution - inch and mile come to mind.

I think the rule is silly, therefore I won't respect it. Why don't we all choose a law we think is silly and ignore it? I'm old-fashioned: the law is the law until Parliament changes it. If Parliament wants to change it, fine by me. Why haven't they, as this problem is not new?

You are starting to move beyond the drama. Well done.

scrubbedexpat020 Nov 2nd 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373219)
You are starting to move beyond the drama. Well done.

Is that you, Malcolm?

Beoz Nov 3rd 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12373695)
Is that you, Malcolm?

Malcolm hasn't moved on yet.

bcworld Nov 4th 2017 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12373841)
Malcolm hasn't moved on yet.

I think Malcolm will be moving on very shortly!

Beoz Nov 4th 2017 4:03 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12374457)
I think Malcolm will be moving on very shortly!

I'd swap him for Julie. There's something a little bit elderly fit about Julie.

carcajou Nov 4th 2017 4:15 am

To those who don't know, it is an unexpected and well-received benefit.

It is not a "trap in the grass" to "watch out for" that the media have presented it as. They love their powerful patrons and I find it disgraceful that something that has affected 226 people - all of whom should have done due diligence - is being portrayed as some kind of national tragedy. I believe they did do due diligence and just thought they wouldn't get caught.

A question, and I really don't know the answer: How many of the disqualified, other than Barnaby Joyce, have renounced and are planning to stand again?

bcworld Nov 4th 2017 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12374466)
I'd swap him for Julie. There's something a little bit elderly fit about Julie.

The problem is the right hates her too...we'll just end up back at square one.

scrubbedexpat020 Nov 4th 2017 5:54 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12374472)
I believe they did do due diligence and just thought they wouldn't get caught.

That, and it's a silly rule that needn't apply to them so need to bother. It's worse than the expense scandal. More disrespect and arrogance from people that are supposed to set an example. I know, I'm so naive - expecting all politicians to obey the rules.:lol:

I guess Turnbull and Shorten are running the numbers on who has the least to lose - can't wait to see the solution from the person with the greatest right to take the moral high ground. The suspense is killing me.

Beoz Nov 4th 2017 7:38 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12374489)
The problem is the right hates her too...we'll just end up back at square one.

Maybe, but the one biggest disappointment for me with Mal is his inability to put up a good fight with the opposition. The Mediscare scandal had eat me alive all over it. But Mal let it go. Same with this citizenship thing. He just keeps letting himself get beaten up by it. Julie is more of an attack dog and far better on the defence.