Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Child benefit

UK Child benefit

Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Child benefit

I am in the throes of cancelling direct debits etc and tying up loose ends before we leave in January. (you may think I am being a bit premature but someone went and put Christmas slap bang in the middle of our plans and everywherer seems to shut for a fortnight!) Anyway I've tried to inform the benefits lot and after being kept on hold for an age finally got to speak to someone. She said that there is apparently an agreement between Oz and the UK where we still get child benefit paid to us.
Does anyone know if this is true. She gave me another number to ring to speak to "the experts" but after 35 minutes of listening to the same music looped I thought my head was going to implode. Thought I would be better off asking the real experts on here.

Claire
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Child benefit

[I work for the benefit agency, am at work now.
will ring child benefit to enquire whilst you are on line.
however I dont think you are still entitled
give me 10 minutes
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

No you don't get it, you need to let thenm know when you are leaving & they work it out & pay what's owing into your bank for you.

Loopy
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: UK Child benefit

Have rung child benefit at newcastle, whom in turn have given me another number.
Leave it with me, I am on the case
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Sandra,

I wouldn't have thought that we would still be entitled to it as we will no longer be resident here. I was under the impression that we get the Australian equivalent once we have registered over there but who knows.

By the way who on earth chooses the hold music at the benefits place - mind you it could have been worse - could've been slade or something equally bad.

Claire
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Mercury Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

No wonder people are left on hold forever - too many at the benefits agency using internet for their own ends i.e. British Expats!!!!

MM
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ever heard of lunch breaks
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And by the people at places like the Benefits Agency and the Police being able to access Expats in their lunchtimes, people on the forum can gain a wealth of information.....stuff on child benefits, Subject Access checks, Fingerprints, and all the basic immigration info that you wouldn't get otherwise. Not everuone has the chance to post from home........
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Ever heard of lunch breaks
Well said -

another example of a note posted without first thinking........easy to do as I have done it.

No-one said it so far but THANKS if you can help as many people on here would like to know.

well done if you find out
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:10 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Would be interested to know the outcome of this as when I phoned up (no long waits and music not too annoying) I was told that nothing could be done yet and that I was to phone up just before we leave to cancel it. Is this right?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
And by the people at places like the Benefits Agency and the Police being able to access Expats in their lunchtimes, people on the forum can gain a wealth of information.....stuff on child benefits, Subject Access checks, Fingerprints, and all the basic immigration info that you wouldn't get otherwise. Not everuone has the chance to post from home........
Hear Hear.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. And as a 'customer' of the Benefits Agency I'm happy that she is targetting info to those who need it.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:20 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

There is no reciprocal agreement - UK Child benefit ends the day you leave the country to emigrate.

Let them know the day you are leaving or you will owe back overpaid monies.

On the plus side there are a few benefits you are entitled to here regardless of the two year wait - income dependent of course.

Have fun

Another Sandra
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

[As my name sake states ther is no agreement with Oz, regarding Child Benefit.
Have just managed to get through to the International Liason Section.
CHB (or Child Benefit ends thae day you get on your plane)

Hope this clarifies position
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by S Oldfield
[As my name sake states ther is no agreement with Oz, regarding Child Benefit.
Have just managed to get through to the International Liason Section.
CHB (or Child Benefit ends thae day you get on your plane)

Hope this clarifies position

Bummer, but thanks for checking
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the investigating Sandra - as I said before I thought that would be the case.

Claire