Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looks like my dream of Aus is over.

Looks like my dream of Aus is over.

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice
Default Looks like my dream of Aus is over.

As of 1july17 Victoria new list for occupations it sponsors no longer includes my role of chemist and I'm devastated. I don't think any other state sponsors this occupation unless their most recent lists for 2017 have been changed. Can anyone offer any other plan ? I could perhaps do a post grad in another occupation but id also need a few years experience and at 39 i feel like I've left it too late . It's probably for the best I'm.not.going over as a chemist . The salary over there isn't great in this field . Id probably get 60k Aus dollars but I'm already close to that in euros in a much cheaper place to live . But I'm still sad though . It's the lifestyle more than money is the reason I want to go
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like my dream of Aus is over.

Originally Posted by LucasHood
As of 1july17 Victoria new list for occupations it sponsors no longer includes my role of chemist and I'm devastated. I don't think any other state sponsors this occupation unless their most recent lists for 2017 have been changed. Can anyone offer any other plan ? I could perhaps do a post grad in another occupation but id also need a few years experience and at 39 i feel like I've left it too late . It's probably for the best I'm.not.going over as a chemist . The salary over there isn't great in this field . Id probably get 60k Aus dollars but I'm already close to that in euros in a much cheaper place to live . But I'm still sad though . It's the lifestyle more than money is the reason I want to go
Take your chemistry knowledge into another sector that's on the list. At 60k, sounds like you've hit the glass ceiling in your current role anyway.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like my dream of Aus is over.

Originally Posted by LucasHood
Hi, Is your interest in living in Australia through actual experience or from the media, friends/ family you know living in Aus? I am asking as if not then you might be "putting your eggs in one basket with the lifestyle thing", have a look at other Australian States, contact companies direct and see if they will sponsor you, have a look at other countries who might require your skills, my friend always wanted to go to Aus ( she had never visited Aus but knew loads that had either lived, travelled or holidayed there) her skill was also taken off the skills list but she really wanted the Australian lifestyle she had heard so much about, after re training and some experience she went as a Nurse, the money, workplace etc was not great and after 2 years she decided that Aus did not live up to her dreams, she is now working in her "chosen" career in a country she loves living in. Good luck