tv or no tv?

Old May 31st 2007, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice
Default Re: tv or no tv?

Originally Posted by jayr
It will take at least 18 months to start to get it and three years to feel there's no way you would go back. Just hang in there.
Hiya
before we came we said we would give Australia A min 2 Years and we are sticking to that
before we moved to AUSTRALIA i thought i knew everything there was to know but nothing can prepare you for your new life as people said Aussie's mostly do there drinking in the house but i would say it is not all bad we do enjoy somethings so we are sure it will work out

Thanks for the support

Billy & Vicki
Old May 31st 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road

Well thanks everyone you've cleared those points up for me. I'm afraid we're definately going (when we get go ahead). May just buy that tv now!

jane x
Old May 31st 2007, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayne3411
Well thanks everyone you've cleared those points up for me. I'm afraid we're definately going (when we get go ahead). May just buy that tv now!

jane x
Great thread cheered me up no end (gawd i needed it (read my termite thread!)

I have visions of couples up and down uk reading this and saying

"right Fred - they said bring tv, washing machine etc"
then they start carrying them to door
then they read the next poster...and shout

"oh o - hang on - the next one said - don't bother!"
so they start carrying them back in

"oh wait - the next poster said take them"
so they start carrying them again

"oh wait - someone else has said stay in uk"
LOL

Am i losing it????? i think so

oh BTW - bring your ironing board and iron
my iron (Sunbeam from Kmart) leaks....and i had ants in it yesterday
and the ironing board (Bing Lee) literally fell apart yesterday
Old May 31st 2007, 8:43 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

This thread is so amusing.
I think we will be taking just about everything.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:51 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think the real answer is - seriously - either bring just about everything or just about nothing.

Rationale: If you are going to pay for a container and all the organisation, the marginal cost of chucking in a few extra bits is negligible or nil. If you are going to sell a lot of stuff, you might as well get rid of the lot and just post your photos and memorabilia over and enjoy getting new everything.
Old May 31st 2007, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jayr
WMs are still more expensive over here than in the UK. Front loaders are a recent invention here and I think you might just get one for $800 now, they used to start at about $1200.
I've got to actually disagree with this particular statement.

I remember being a young child and my mother having a Front loader, at least 20 years ago. She's originally from over here (UK)

She soon got rid of it because it was a pain in the backside, and with having three kids to wash for she always found something got left behind and with front loaders the doors locked that's it, can't put the item in when it's just at the beginning of the cycle.

The top loaders now also have water saving options where it senses the amount of washing you have and uses the bare minimum water to wash the clothes.

Personally I hate front loaders, but i suppose it's all about what you're used to and comfortable with.

As far as buying something (like a telly) to take over, i'm not sure what they would do with Duty, as i've heard customs charge duty on items you can buy in the country that you have that are less then 12 months old.
I know this to be a fact for things like Cars and motorbikes, not sure about household items!
Old May 31st 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi
MMM big Gala has a point if i could go back in time to last year i would not emigrate however we are here and trying very hard to be positive and hopefully things will fall into place but i really miss home,family,friends

Billy & Vicki
If you're seriously feeling that way you should speak to my mum.

She and my father came over (to Australia, sorry, my hearts at home but i'm here in the UK and it's hard to figure which way to put it) on the £10 pom job. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...36#post4771436 here's the post, she's down as V8sMum_in_law.

It was quite interesting to read that's how my mum felt. But in all honesty, she's never looked back since going back in 1982, and she finally became an Australian Citizen in 2004.

It is incredibly difficult, i can understand where you're coming from as i did it the other way (although going back in 5 months and 25 days ) and it is incredibly different to the lifestyle over here. Generally they say it takes someone (moving overseas) about 2 years to really start settling in.

Good luck with it and I really hope it does work out for you. If you want i'm sure my mum wouldn't mind you PM'ing her for a bit of a chat, never know, it might help to hear a success story.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
If you're seriously feeling that way you should speak to my mum.

She and my father came over (to Australia, sorry, my hearts at home but i'm here in the UK and it's hard to figure which way to put it) on the £10 pom job. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...36#post4771436 here's the post, she's down as V8sMum_in_law.

It was quite interesting to read that's how my mum felt. But in all honesty, she's never looked back since going back in 1982, and she finally became an Australian Citizen in 2004.

It is incredibly difficult, i can understand where you're coming from as i did it the other way (although going back in 5 months and 25 days ) and it is incredibly different to the lifestyle over here. Generally they say it takes someone (moving overseas) about 2 years to really start settling in.

Good luck with it and I really hope it does work out for you. If you want i'm sure my mum wouldn't mind you PM'ing her for a bit of a chat, never know, it might help to hear a success story.

Hi
I have read the thread and very interestingit is, it gives some very good points

Thanks

Billy
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: tv or no tv?

Originally Posted by jayne3411
We are currently in the long process of applying for the visa, but hope to put house on market soon. We have been told that it is pointless taking the TV, washing machine and tumble because they are not powerful enough for oz!! Has anyone got any knowledge on this, cos i've seen a lovely flat screen 47 in that i'd love

Thanks jane
We were looking on the net the other night and apparently if you are going ot have any problem with your TV then it would be that the sound doesn't work, that would cost you £50 to get sorted so I would take your TV with you. We also investigated how much plasma TV's with HD etc on them are and they are round about the same price as they are here, this was in the Sydney area so if you were going to buy one then, tkaing into consideration the shipping that you would be paying i'd say just wait until you get there. As for your other stuff i'm not sure to be honest. Hope this helps a little
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

i know if you're taking your Fridge Freezer over you need to make sure it's one that's CFC free. You are not allowed to import them if they have CFC's that run the refridgeration bit. That's also something to consider.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife

As far as buying something (like a telly) to take over, i'm not sure what they would do with Duty, as i've heard customs charge duty on items you can buy in the country that you have that are less then 12 months old.
I know this to be a fact for things like Cars and motorbikes, not sure about household items!
They are only interested if you are shipping in lots of the same thing. One new TV or vacuum or microwave etc etc will not worry them.