TV licence

Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV licence

To all those who will be leaving the UK in the next 6 months and pay for your tv licence by monthly direct debit it might be worth cancelling your payments now as you pay 6 months in advance! I know its not much each month but its better to be in your pocket than theirs.

Claire
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:26 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: TV licence

Originally posted by claireg3
To all those who will be leaving the UK in the next 6 months and pay for your tv licence by monthly direct debit it might be worth cancelling your payments now as you pay 6 months in advance! I know its not much each month but its better to be in your pocket than theirs.

Claire
i thought they paid back any credit left on a licence when you cancelled it?

i know they do when you pay for it in full.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to get a refund out of them once in the past - like trying to get the proverbial blood from a stone, and anything gained was spent in attempts to get the payment!! Much simpler to just stop paying it. When I left in october, I had cancelled mine in June, having worked out what I'd paid etc - they spent the time from June to October sending me rude letter threatening me with prosecution - even though the licence was still valid! They were trying to prosecute me for not paying towards the NEXT years licence - even though I'd already told them I wouldn't need it.

Another good reason for coming to Oz - NO TV licence!!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:38 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollyana
I tried to get a refund out of them once in the past - like trying to get the proverbial blood from a stone, and anything gained was spent in attempts to get the payment!! Much simpler to just stop paying it. When I left in october, I had cancelled mine in June, having worked out what I'd paid etc - they spent the time from June to October sending me rude letter threatening me with prosecution - even though the licence was still valid! They were trying to prosecute me for not paying towards the NEXT years licence - even though I'd already told them I wouldn't need it.

jesus!.... what are they like! i think i'll take claire's advice in that case and cancel early!! erm.... i guess i better do it now then! i plan to sell the house in march... Like claire said, better in my pocket than theirs!

cheers.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:10 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
but shit tv as a result. some things are worth paying for and the BBC is one of them.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:13 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

yeah... we get a wealth of great entertainment like......DeadEnders and Horrible City to name a couple. All the good programs are on ITV or Channel 4. The BBC even has to mess up their one decent program...Merseybeat.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:16 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

at least you dont get adverts on the beeb though. i still stand by original assertion that the bbc is worth paying for.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:27 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

got to agree with you about the adverts! that one with the babies all having smoke come out of their mouths / noses is terrible! I have to change channel when that one comes on. :scared: The PS2 ads are good though.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
but shit tv as a result. some things are worth paying for and the BBC is one of them.
Anyone using dial-up to get BBC radio from Oz? I'm so used to broadband here that I'm a bit worried about missing my fix of Radio 4!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:17 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, it has to be the person whose name is on the licence that does the cancelling. I set up the direct debit, I changed the direct debit but I can't cancel it! Jim has to.

Jane
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I am going to cancel mine today
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to say that when you cancel the direct debit give the TV licensing people a ring and let them know then they won't bother sending you any reminders etc.

Claire
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:28 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Also, i think when you cancel and they refund you, they only refund whole quarters, same as car tax.