Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The truth about Melbourne weather please...

The truth about Melbourne weather please...

Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CHnJ
I always feel cold in Melbourne
I spoke to my brother a few hours ago and he said it was 38 degrees today and expected to be 40 later in the week - celsius of course. I once had to play in a tennis tournament in Melbourne and it was 109 degrees - fahrenheit. Variable climate I will concede but not a cold place all year round.

OzTennis
Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by OzTennis
I spoke to my brother a few hours ago and he said it was 38 degrees today and expected to be 40 later in the week - celsius of course. I once had to play in a tennis tournament in Melbourne and it was 109 degrees - fahrenheit. Variable climate I will concede but not a cold place all year round.

OzTennis

OK OK, I've been unlucky and hold a grudge well : )
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

zephyr147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne weather?

Depends on (i) Where you are comparing with and (ii) What weather you like

It's best to look at climate charts rather than weather reports, and compared to, say, London, Melbourne is significantly warmer in all seasons. That is to say that it's warmer in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, adjusting for the revered seasons.

Melbourne is on average around 5c hotter on Summer days and 3c on Summer nights. In Winter it's typically 8c warmer during the day and 5c at night.

Rainfall is much the same all year round and both cities are relatively dry (yes, might not feel it but London is dry)

Melbourne actually compares pretty much to somewher like Barcelona, couple of degrees cooler on summer nights, but a slightly milder winter, similar rainfall.

I actually liked the seasonality of Melbourne, compared to the constant warmth of Brisbane, but it's down to personal preference.

Of course as anyone who lives there will tell you the temp can fluctuate a great deal in summer, but on average there are only 2 freezing nights each year, and even then its only just below zero.

Cold, no, or at least not often.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:47 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the biggest difference will be in the extremes....

The funny thing is that I really don't think the weather in the UK is that bad at all. It's cold yes, but it also gets warm enough in the summer (much hotter and the heat becomes and inconvenience to everyday living), and the major plus is that it is very very settled. And quite predictable....

England and Wales especially have few extremes in terms of temperature, and while the overall climate in Melbourne is milder, you will be experiencing more rapid changes in conditions.

I'm forever intrigued by the 'horrific' weather the UK experiences - it really isn't that bad when compared with many parts of the world, Australia & NZ included. Just because it's warmer doesn't mean it's necessarily better....

Less ice and less warm clothes.... but new problems instead... I'm just saying I wouldn't worry about the weather too much either way - weather has a habit of never doing what you want it to do anyway... it's there to torment us.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by zephyr147
Melbourne actually compares pretty much to somewhere like Barcelona ..........
That'll do for me
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:59 pm
Badge

you are absolutely right - there are very few extremes in the UK. We must have the most 'average' and 'predicatable' weather in the world, having a small island geography, maritime climate, the Gulf Stream and northern latitude all combining to make us unique....

It never really, during the day, gets below, say, 7 degrees, some of our winter days are positively mild at just under 10, and never much, really, over 22 in the summer.....(say)

but I think I speak for most of us when I say that it the lack of real seasons that we miss here, the overcast greyness and wind (which exagerates the dirty old buildings) that typifies a UK winter. I would love a real freeze, snow and sun. Today it was sunny and cold - perfect!!

I was bemused to see that Germany gets twice as much sun as we do, and we're all in Europe.

I have to admit, though, I'm not a weather freak who is always jetting off for sun etc, and it's the effect that a tad more sun has on people that I feel is beneficial, not the actual heat..(and I'm not going to get in to an argument over cancer ;-) )

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Dec 15th 2003 at 3:13 pm.

Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk

The funny thing is that I really don't think the weather in the UK is that bad at all. It's cold yes, but it also gets warm enough in the summer (much hotter and the heat becomes and inconvenience to everyday living), and the major plus is that it is very very settled. And quite predictable....

England and Wales especially have few extremes in terms of temperature, and while the overall climate in Melbourne is milder, you will be experiencing more rapid changes in conditions.
Yeah, the weather isn't too bad admittedly, but the winter is long and cold. I like the frosty days and wouldn't like to live in really hot weather every day, but i think the majority of the time, the sky is grey or it's windy and drizzly. We had a heat wave this summer, but I can't say it was different than any other year for me, as althouigh it was hot, it was always cloudy. I'd speak to my friend in Essex and her kids were always out in the paddling pool, where as I only got mine out once!

being an 'at home mum', I would like to get out more often with the kids and at weekends. Even when the summer does finally arrive there aren't that many weekend where we will get sunny days so that we can all go out as a family. I don't know about you lot, but when it's cold and wet I don't want to leave the house full stop

Noodle.x
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by young_lad
That'll do for me

That'll do for me too! Have you not gone yet, young lad?

Noodle
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:11 pm
Badge

Default Getting hot in the UK

I said on expats that when they showed the beach in the heatwave on the expat programme (presumably during the heatwave) it looked hot and nice.I even said I wasn't sure if I was looking at Australia or the UK..a good thing, eh?

On second viewing, however, I noticed that the strong sun was diffusing through a haze of clouds which looked positively 'dirty', whereas the Australian sunny locations looked uniformly 'clean'.

Badge

Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Getting hot in the UK

Originally posted by badgersmount
I said on expats that when they showed the beach in the heatwave on the expat programme (presumably during the heatwave) it looked hot and nice.I even said I wasn't sure if I was looking at Australia or the UK..a good thing, eh?

On second viewing, however, I noticed that the strong sun was diffusing through a haze of clouds which looked positively 'dirty', whereas the Australian sunny locations looked uniformly 'clean'.

Badge
Which expats programme are you talking about?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:19 pm
Badge

Default Re: Getting hot in the UK

the one where the essex couple go to Sydney...

Badge

Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:36 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes the grey dark days are the pits. It's not so much the cold or the rain or whatever, it's the lack of sunshine.

Summers still seem quite good to me - probably because they are very similar to NZ summers, only shorter and without the unbearable humidity. (97% in Hamilton at the moment)

I know it's an important reason many of you migrate - but personally I think you get used to whatever weather you're in really.... the body acclimatises amazingly well after a few years.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:51 pm
Badge

agreed. I would still go to Australia if it had, say weather like New Zealand or Germany. The nice winters are just a bonus for sports as far as I'm concerned..

B

Old Dec 15th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jandjuk

I know it's an important reason many of you migrate - but personally I think you get used to whatever weather you're in really.... the body acclimatises amazingly well after a few years.
Well mine certainly figured out how to grow a warm band of insulation around the middle when I got back to the uk!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by zephyr147
Melbourne weather?

Depends on (i) Where you are comparing with and (ii) What weather you like

It's best to look at climate charts rather than weather reports, and compared to, say, London, Melbourne is significantly warmer in all seasons. That is to say that it's warmer in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, adjusting for the revered seasons.

Melbourne is on average around 5c hotter on Summer days and 3c on Summer nights. In Winter it's typically 8c warmer during the day and 5c at night.

Rainfall is much the same all year round and both cities are relatively dry (yes, might not feel it but London is dry)

Melbourne actually compares pretty much to somewher like Barcelona, couple of degrees cooler on summer nights, but a slightly milder winter, similar rainfall.

I actually liked the seasonality of Melbourne, compared to the constant warmth of Brisbane, but it's down to personal preference.

Of course as anyone who lives there will tell you the temp can fluctuate a great deal in summer, but on average there are only 2 freezing nights each year, and even then its only just below zero.

Cold, no, or at least not often.
Excellent post Zephyr - they'll still believe their 4 seasons in a day, as cold as the UK etc though

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.