Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The truth about Melbourne weather please...

The truth about Melbourne weather please...

Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The truth about Melbourne weather please...

As some of you already know I am hoping to go to Melbourne with my family, mainly because my husband is in IT and there are more ooprtunities there, excluding Sydney (too expensive!).

One of my reasons for emigrating is the weather and so far I've heard a lot of negatives about Melbournes weather, 4 seasons in one day and all that. Now I don't mind the seasons and even don't mind a cold winter, however I would just like to have a summer that lasted a bit longer than here. Although I wouldn't want to live in the heat constantly!

I spoke to a friend at the weekend who's boyfriend comes from Melbourne and he apparently told her that the weather over there isn't much differrent from here. scarey! I don't want to ove all that way to experience the shitty weather we have here. Someone else told me the weather was great in melbourne and that they have less rain than Sydney. Is there anyone out there who can tell me the truth in their opinion.

many thanks

Noodle.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Have you looked at any od the climate charts? Try BBc weather they show the avarage conditions for eaah city inOz. I will find the address for you.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

try http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/a...ia/index.shtml

then enter Melbourne and go to climate statistics, the list of highs, lows and record temps will be there.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tinaj
try http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/a...ia/index.shtml

then enter Melbourne and go to climate statistics, the list of highs, lows and record temps will be there.

Thanks Tine

I have looked at things like that in the past, just wanted someones real experiences really. I know that you're going to Brisbane where yo can be a bit more certain of the weather that you're going to experience, where as people say the weather is very eratic in Melbourne and I would like to spend a bit more time outdoors than I do at the moment coz it's so bloody cold for so long here!!!

Noodle.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, I've just checked out that website and the weather looks better in melbourne than the rest of Oz, but then you can never go from the weather readings here, let alone anywhere else. they always get it wrong

Noodle
Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:51 pm
Badge

In my experience, weather charts are often useless as they are simply averages, and the 'common' temps aren't signalled...like an average summers day in the UK is say 18 degrees when it could be 23-25 if we are v lucky. or 20 for ages..

When I arrived in Melbourne one late spring day (last week in November) it was 40 degrees and beautiful blue skies. On the train over there, all the Aussies from out of town were saying how they hated it's greyness so I was feeling apprehensive.

For the next week, it was overcast, drizzly and grey just like the UK if less muggy. To be honest, I hated it, and suddenly everything looked very Pommie. If course it rains elsewhere but it rains properly and makes it mind up, not the drizzle typical of a UK maritime winter climate.

Look at neighbours for a while - that is Melborne weather..all the Melburne expats say they have just had a freezin winter, yet now there has just been a heatwave..

it's basically a meditterean climate, so it is changeable, but the daily averages are certainly higher than the UK.

Badge

Old Dec 14th 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I always feel cold in Melbourne
Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:31 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Melbourne about five or six times. I have experienced daytime temps of about 10-14C and was the coldest I have ever been in Australia, my Brisbane home was about 32C at the time. Another occasion it had its worst storm for one hundred years with big hailstones and flooded freeways and most recently it was about 37C. The within day variability means you never quite know what to expect next.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

dogged is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, it is a nice sunny 27 today, it will be over 30 for the next 3 days which a bit uncommon for mid december..

in summer the weather is usually 3-4 days of high pressure with the wind blowing the heat down from the desert (in spring/ early summer there is huge amounts of pollen around and if you suffer from hay fever you will be suffering for sure!)

Then comes the cool change which blows southerly winds off the ocean(1-3 days).. repeat this cycle and you pretty much have melbourne’s summer weather..

check out this site

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...ic_names.shtml

has a lot of weather data for different locations.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The truth about Melbourne weather please...

Originally posted by noodle
As some of you already know I am hoping to go to Melbourne with my family, mainly because my husband is in IT and there are more ooprtunities there, excluding Sydney (too expensive!).

One of my reasons for emigrating is the weather and so far I've heard a lot of negatives about Melbournes weather, 4 seasons in one day and all that. Now I don't mind the seasons and even don't mind a cold winter, however I would just like to have a summer that lasted a bit longer than here. Although I wouldn't want to live in the heat constantly!

I spoke to a friend at the weekend who's boyfriend comes from Melbourne and he apparently told her that the weather over there isn't much differrent from here. scarey! I don't want to ove all that way to experience the shitty weather we have here. Someone else told me the weather was great in melbourne and that they have less rain than Sydney. Is there anyone out there who can tell me the truth in their opinion.

many thanks

Noodle.
I've had two spells in Melbourne, both outside of summer time and both felt cold and miserable, but never as bad as in England.
In between my visits, the friends I stayed with informed me that they spent most of the Christmas period shading from 40 degree heat.

Will
Old Dec 15th 2003, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Noodle

Here's another link to the local 3 day weather forecast. Check it out from time to time and you'll get the general idea of what it's like.

http://weather.smh.com.au/weather/melbourne.html

It does go up and down that's for sure.

Today is a beautiful day, around 30 degrees I think, but tomorrow it's going to be hot, then with some thunderstorms in the evening, bringing the temperature back down again.

When it rains, it really rains (as Badger said), but alot of the time, once the rain has finished, the sun comes back out again and drys everything out.

I've also found that what the forecast in the evening says, it can change overnight and be something totally different the next morning.

Hope this helps

Regards
Old Dec 15th 2003, 8:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really looking forward to 38 degs tomorow, NOT
But to got back to a previous argument, at least the kids DO have air con in their classrooms! As for me, more xmas shopping in fountain gate, cup a tea anyone????????????????
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Noodle
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hevs

you,ll have to take me to that shopping centre when I get there...sounds nice..

booboo
Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by noodle
Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Noodle

Hi Noodle - I've got exactly the same concerns as you. We're going for state nomination and heading for Victoria. A friend of ours has lived 40 minutes out of Melbourne for the last 9 years. He said that the weather is very changeable but he hasn't seen a frost in the 9 years he's been there and overall the weather never gets as bad/cold as in the UK.

I don't want constant unbearable heat 24/7 but I do want an improvement on what we've got here. He made me feel better so try not to worry too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.